A Motorhome tracker you'd be stupid not to fit. (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Inside a sat dome would be an excellent spot.
Any whare it's hard to get to will be OK eve in the roof light casing if thay are small enugh even stuck under the soler panel with stikaflex in the lining of the roof any whare you want to put it basikly
Bill

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Great idea Jim, I'd go for it.
Currently use a £30 job, enabled us to find our way back to the van when on a bike ride in France and some dumbo didn't take enough notice of where he parked it.:D
I've got a couple of those cheap trackers too, and have them reporting back to my own "traccar" server. They use PAYG giffgaff SIMs and are using about 80p a month in data charges reporting every 5 mins...
I've used the tracker for "where the hell did I park the van" so many times, hee hee...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Regarding battery drain ... couldn't a small dedicated solar panel be installed purely to keep it topped up if a rechargeable battery is put in it rather than a disposable one? Its not unusual to find solar panels on MHs so another one is unlikely to be noticed, or maybe it could even have a link to an existing solar panel but not via the normal regulator? This should keep the battery nicely charged unless it's parked in a garage/warehouse of course by the thieves but even then if the unit reports it location at least once a day it should still be possible to find out where the MH is for a while as the battery wouldn't lose it's charge that quickly.

Reactions: Jim

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Battery drain isn't a major issue as Jim states the New Motorhome FUN tracker will go to sleep after a period of inactivity only waking up (when something happens:eek:)

I wonder what he is going to call it? FUNTrak is my favourite (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Absolutely, they rely heavily on GSM/GPS just like a £30 tracker. That can be blocked. Yes they do use other technology like VHF, but they need to be very close to it to detect it.
Makes you wonder why insurance companies insist on them.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
@Jim Do you have a timescale in mind for producing said tracker ????

I tend to have multiple projects on the go at any one time, I normally want them all finished yesterday, often they are always tomorrow! I'm still researching at the moment, I've found some products do exactly what I want but they are too expensive.

We are now thinking about a product that has two components. The first an easily user fitted tracker with a geofence and constant map updates, By easily I mean crocodile-clips-to-a-leisure-battery-easy and not really well hidden. The second component a 3 to 5-year stealth tracker with its own power supply that you hide well in your van. The first unit will give the benefits of a tracker right up to the point where its found and thrown away, we'll then activate the sleeping tracker and be able to follow it.

Makes you wonder why insurance companies insist on them.

Because they work and are responsible for finding vehicles saving them millions

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
A motorhome tracker you'd be stupid not to fit could be fundamental.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I tend to have multiple projects on the go at any one time, I normally want them all finished yesterday, often they are always tomorrow! I'm still researching at the moment, I've found some products do exactly what I want but they are too expensive.

We are now thinking about a product that has two components. The first an easily user fitted tracker with a geofence and constant map updates, By easily I mean crocodile-clips-to-a-leisure-battery-easy and not really well hidden. The second component a 3 to 5-year stealth tracker with its own power supply that you hide well in your van. The first unit will give the benefits of a tracker right up to the point where its found and thrown away, we'll then activate the sleeping tracker and be able to follow it.

Because they work and are responsible for finding vehicles saving them millions
Thanks! doesn't really answer my question but it seems 'your on the case' I note you said the first one would be user fitted but failed to mention who would fit the other one. An arrangement with a third party perhaps???

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks! doesn't really answer my question but it seems 'your on the case' I note you said the first one would be user fitted but failed to mention who would fit the other one. An arrangement with a third party perhaps???

It should be simple enough for anyone to fit both of the components. An easy battery fit and hiding the other component anywhere.... Timescale I'm not sure as I haven't settled in my mind the final configuration yet.....But I would hope to be shipping something before the end of the year.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
It should be simple enough for anyone to fit both of the components. An easy battery fit and hiding the other component anywhere.... Timescale I'm not sure as I haven't settled in my mind the final configuration yet.....But I would hope to be shipping something before the end of the year.
Sounds Great Jim, I'm definitely interested.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I was thinking if it is required to sit dormant would a signal from the break lights be used to trigger into action?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
How easy is it for the meta trak engine block and tracker to be defeated? I'm starting to get twitchy reading this thread.
@eddievanbitz @Jim
Don't get twitchy, see below

There are many many places that they can be hidden;) A better question is how many motorhomes with Growler and Tracking systems have been stolen, and if stolen, not recovered(y)
I will answer this one

None! as far as I know

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Good luck with that Jim, it's hard to beat the Chinese ones sold under many names. They even include the option of a geofence and remote immoboliser for about £20-£25 and work very well

At such a cheap price some people fit 2 with one of them easy to find as a decoy

I have the optional shock sensor on mine which works well. Closing the cab door will set it off.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Absolutely, they rely heavily on GSM/GPS just like a £30 tracker. That can be blocked. Yes they do use other technology like VHF, but they need to be very close to it to detect it.

I don't know about their latest systems but their old trackers used to transmit a signal around 173mhz and were detected by the familiar four aerial setups on the roof of police cars. Known a Lojack in the States. Vehicles could be detected inside metal containers.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I note you said the first one would be user fitted but failed to mention who would fit the other one. An arrangement with a third party perhaps???
I certainly wouldn't favour something that relied on a third party to fit. :(
I'm all for keeping it simple, (KISS). ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
@Jim , seeing as some dashcams use GPS, might it be worth investigating incorporating a tracker into a dash cam with a cab facing camera that would relay an image of the tea-leaf as they drive it away whilst at the same time transmitting the position?
They may well overlook a dash cam whilst looking for the tracker.

Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
LOL Almost £500.00 I can see members queuing up for this as apposed to @Jim plan to produce one around £25.00. A no brainier.

£25 :D so much... for a real-time tracker and a 5-year life stealth tracker, and monitoring. Yes I bet I could shift a few million of those at £25, who wouldn't want two at that price! :D I've no idea yet but best guesses put it at over £125 not £25 :D

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
LOL Almost £500.00 I can see members queuing up for this as apposed to @Jim plan to produce one around £25.00. A no brainier.
It was a link to an off the shelf ruggedised product that has 9 month battery performance, 2way communication facility and auto wakeup and sleep functionality. YB are used as trackers for many offshore races such as Sydney Hobart, fastnet, expeditions etc but some of the tech / functionality might be of interest if developing something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back