A lurker who has finally paid up. (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Hello everyone.
I have been lurking around this forum for ages but thought it was about time I got a little more involved.
Kate and I have been motor homing for about 9 years having come over from the 'dark side' i.e. tuggers.
First motorhome was a Swift Bolero (as per my avatar), we now have an AutoTrail Delaware and in a couple of weeks we hope to take delivery of a Carthago Chic C-Line.
We are both retired and as well as being involved in village issues in our Suffolk home we work as airshow volunteers for Vulcan to the Sky Trust and Club helping to keep Vulcan XH558 flying.
Between all that we just love to be away in the 'van' as much as we can, particularly in France.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
upload_2015-3-4_10-13-47.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Welcome to you both.
I'm a subscriber to the Vulcan flying fund and well done for being involved in keeping it flying. An awesome piece of kit to see in the sky. Had a good chat to the Vulcan club at the Flying Show in Telford last November, great people.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
having come over from the 'dark side' i.e. tuggers.

:welc:

you can only lurk for so long before you are compelled to join.. :LOL:

the 'dark side' isn't owning a caravan.. it is much much more scary .. and threatening :Eeek:

tuggers are welcome here.. as are all other types of vans.. :)

it's not what we own, it's what we do with it that counts.. :cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Vulcan to the Sky Trust and Club helping to keep Vulcan XH558 flying..

What is it about that plane, built just down the road from here. Horrible thing to work in, nothing special about it's performance yet everyone loves it.

Drove past Woodford the other day, bulldozers are in, Mr Roe must spinning faster than a Vulcan turbine.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
welcome! would be interested in feedback on the Carthago when you have it, as thinking of a i 138

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
What is it about that plane, built just down the road from here. Horrible thing to work in, nothing special about it's performance yet everyone loves it.
She is officially the most loved aircraft on the airshow circuit, voted by the public.
What is it that people love???
That delta shape, the noise, the sheer power and her elegance in the sky one moment and menace the next. After seeing her display more times than I can count I still don't really know what creates the magic.
Richard.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Welcome, and keep that Vulcan flying, we lost another famous Vulcan this week. Yours must be the last one.

There's a moral that even applies to MHs here, KISS. Loads of WW1 planes flying. Few WW2. We just keep making things more and more complicated and then there comes a time when no-one can afford to keep them running.

Old Hymers, spirit of WW1. Simple quality construction.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I still don't really know what creates the magic.
Richard.

In the good old days of the Manchester Air Show at Barton I used to help out and once a Vulcan, operational in those days, has buzzed you at a couple of hundred feet you never forget it.

The only old one better in my books, the Lightning. Total raw power and even today can hold it's head up high. I wish I had £12K spare to go fly one in South Africa ( if it's still going ).

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
May be something to do with being 50 shades of grey, its really big, makes you shake and pops your ears. Haha

A tremendous plane, a friend of mine is a volunteer, working to maintain the Vulcan at Finningley Hanger 3, the home of the Vulcan during the Cold War. He lives by the side of the runway and has some fantastic photographs.

Last edited:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Hello and welcome to the Fun! :)

I remember seeing the Vulcan at RNAS Culdrose many years ago. It landed, then took off to display at another airshow, then it came back, landed, then took off to do 'our' airshow. Awesome power :)

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
The only old one better in my books, the Lightning. Total raw power and even today can hold it's head up high. I wish I had £12K spare to go fly one in South Africa ( if it's still going ).
Yes, another iconic aircraft.
Pity there isn't one doing the air show circuits and I think there is only 3 left flying. Awesome when it was pointed to the stars and both those big GEC afterburners lit up... nothing outclimbs it to this day.
Unfortunately a lot of those aircraft are dying out in our memory, such a shame.... But costs of even having them running on the ground, let alone flying, is staggering.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Too late I'm afraid.
One of the Thunder City Lightning's crashed 2 or 3 years ago, with fatalities. The operation has now closed down.
Last I heard there was still one of the Lightning's for sale.

Richard.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi and welcome.

I remember my first sight of a Vulcan at the Swansea air show when I was about 10.

It came down through heavy cloud, almost touched down and then roared off again.

Awesome.(y)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Must have been a couple of years ago when something Royal was going on a Vulcan appeared over the rooftops near Kings Lynn, probably on its way to Marham. Nearly sent me off the road it was so low but an incredible sight. :Smile:

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Hi and Welcome from South Glos. :smiley:

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, Clarky, welcome to MHF, we've lurked a few years, total novices, due for our first ever van MH, so decided to take the plunge and cough up membership fees, also took the opportunity to view some of your motohome moments on you tube, in our case very useful resource, thank you

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Must have been a couple of years ago when something Royal was going on a Vulcan appeared over the rooftops near Kings Lynn, probably on its way to Marham. Nearly sent me off the road it was so low but an incredible sight. :Smile:

Ha, ha! That would have been Barry, our now retired AEO (Air Electronics Officer), who lives at Kings Lynn, just flying over home on his way back from a show down south.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back