Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Mousy,
Cant think of any reason for a driver to do this.
You took the lorry's number and reported it?
Again, how can it be done without stopping, shouldn't think it could be done on the move, and once stopped why pee in a bottle or crap in a packet?
I have never been taught how to do either.
Maybe the Lucazade bottles have been deposited by walkers, joggers, dog walkers, cyclists, etc?
Is the human waste the walkers pick up definitely drivers' waste?
Are there lorry sized parking places near these verges?
Is there evidence, or is blaming drivers the easy option??[/QUOTE

I walk past a large layby every day and it is full of Lucazade looking bottles, trust me walkers, joggers, dog walkers and cyclist do not need to do it in a bottle and then deposit it in a layby, use your imagination. :)

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Hi. i am 77 and been driving since i was 17. i have categories. am. a. b1. b. c1. c. d1. d. be. c1e. ce. d1e. de. i have never had a accident so i think i am lucky or i have good bit of experience thats my thinking. walter.

Really! I understood that pre 1997 grandfather rights are extinguished automatically at the age of 70 years, am I wrong?:unsure:

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Nice one Walter, I won't be here or I would have made you a brew.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
My gripe with truck drivers is that they drive far too close and when it all goes pear shaped they can't stop and the poor sod in the car in between loses all.

And when you leave a reasonable space between yourself and the car in front in case you need to brake another half-witted car driver jump's in and shortens your braking distance

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Calm down, calm down. I find the closer you get to London the worst the "driving attitude" gets, its really noticeable down the M11 through Essex.
I too have my moments of intolerance, my wife reminds me.
But having driven in most European countries I find the UK to be by far the best along with Belgium and Germany. Spain, Italy, and all Eastern European drivers are "Macho" once behind the wheel.
Phil

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I have a rare group on my licence. 'Track laying vehicle steered by it's tracks'.......a TANK. I never bothered about who or what I drove over, from a VW Beetle to a nice line of six glass-houses, a barn, two farmhouses, countless haystacks, peoples gardens, and many cats......Many times I had a wee in a tin helmet, and flippantly tossed the wet contents 'over the side', along with empty food cans and beer bottles.....I drove looking through a slit, 8"x4", whilst lying down, and sometimes whilst wearing a respirator as well. The tank weighed in at 55 tons
Good stuff. (y)(y)(y)(y):)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No one knows everything or can't learn something. No matter how much training or experience they have had.

There are a few schemes in the country now being run to give truck and taxi drivers an idea of what it is like to ride a push bike on today's roads. Edinburgh has one and this was recently run in London: Broken Link Removed
It is worth reading the bits about how on a bike they were taught to block the lane at times in order to avoid dangerous overtaking. This is something few motorists I fear really understand. Unfortunately, most cyclists don't either, having probably never had a lesson on cycling in their life other than being taught how to physically ride the machine.

Although not all the truck drivers were won over in the London example many did begin to appreciate things from the cyclists' point of view. It has been jokingly remarked that all drivers should have to spend 6 months on a push bike before they can get a vehicle license. It won't happen but it would improve perceptions if it did.

Should anyone want to improve their cycling or even just try to understand things from the cyclist's viewpoint the definitive book is Cyclecraft, published by what used to be called HMSO. The Highway Code is near useless and in places downright ambiguous when it comes to giving advice to either cyclists or how drivers should react to cyclists. Cyclecraft is much better but it is expensive but I doubt anyone can read it and not learn a lot. The concept of taking Primary and Secondary for example were unknown to me before I read it. Primary means riding down the centre of the lane, which the books says is the default position on a lane a bike should be in. I bet few motorists know that? I didn't. Secondary, is the position you should adopt to let something overtake or to avoid something coming the other way in a narrow road (if safe) and as a generalisation it is not less than about 3 feet from the left hand side of the road. http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/book_details.html

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I have a rare group on my licence. 'Track laying vehicle steered by it's tracks'.......a TANK. I never bothered about who or what I drove over, from a VW Beetle to a nice line of six glass-houses, a barn, two farmhouses, countless haystacks, peoples gardens, and many cats......Many times I had a wee in a tin helmet, and flippantly tossed the wet contents 'over the side', along with empty food cans and beer bottles.....I drove looking through a slit, 8"x4", whilst lying down, and sometimes whilst wearing a respirator as well. The tank weighed in at 55 tons

Empty shell casing,..............and woe become the tankie who knocked it over...........:whistle:

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
sorry just can't help myself.
Yesterday A12, lorry driver arrested for watching TV while driving. He was probably bored while trying to overtake another lorry with his 0.1mph advantage :ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I drive an RV, and to do so, along with many HGV drivers have taken significant additional training, unlike many other car, van, MO drivers,

Not been moved to post on this thread, there are bad drivers in every vehicle type. :rolleyes: But I did giggle when I read the quoted bit of the OP. I know more RVers than most anyone, and I reckon only 1 in 5 of those have a license to drive an RV over 7.5t

The majority of RVs are driven on a car licence because a, they have been downplated to <7,5t or b, the driver feels that it's a Motorhome, not an HGV. so whatever it weighs it can be driven on a regular car licence.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
And when you leave a reasonable space between yourself and the car in front in case you need to brake another half-witted car driver jump's in and shortens your braking distance

Yes what a pain , you then have to slow to keep your distance , I curse at em :mad:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
sorry just can't help myself.
Yesterday A12, lorry driver arrested for watching TV while driving. He was probably bored while trying to overtake another lorry with his 0.1mph advantage :ROFLMAO:

I believe he was Eastern European , now forreners who drive and cycle over here should be banned .....................:p

Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
Have you actually seen it, or just heard about it?
Which hit you, the bottle or the tin foil?

Neither can be achieved without stopping.
Once stopped, it's doubtful anyone would perform in the cab.
Who would want the smell in their place of work, in many cases places their bedroom?

Never seen it or known of it in my 36 years in the Transport Industry.

I'm afraid it happens all the time John and who says so? lorry drivers. I am a member of a truck drivers forum and there's a thread on there about this subject. Drivers are openly admitting that they pee in a bottle during the night and dispose of it the next day. Some are happy to tell you that they happily have a dump in a carrier bag in the cab and also get rid the next day. Others complain that when staying on a service station they have to walk 100 yards to the loo so instead they have a pee by the wheel. Sometimes, we lorry drivers are our own worst enemies.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Mousy,
Cant think of any reason for a driver to do this.
You took the lorry's number and reported it?
Again, how can it be done without stopping, shouldn't think it could be done on the move, and once stopped why pee in a bottle or crap in a packet?
I have never been taught how to do either.
Maybe the Lucazade bottles have been deposited by walkers, joggers, dog walkers, cyclists, etc?
Is the human waste the walkers pick up definitely drivers' waste?
Are there lorry sized parking places near these verges?
Is there evidence, or is blaming drivers the easy option??

Our local by-pass has lots of lorry drivers overnighting in the lay-bys. There is not a toilet for miles.

Something must happen - Imodium perhaps? I suspect not. :rolleyes:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
while trying to overtake another lorry with his 0.1mph advantage :ROFLMAO:
This is my pet hate ELEPHANT RACING, I have followed two lorries from the Lydden Lights near Dover until the Canterbury turnoff 12 miles. They pulled away from the lights and the one behind decided he could go faster, He did for a bit until they were both doing the Governed speed of 90 Kph and that is where they stayed side by side neither was going to lose face by backing down. Egoistical or not.. I do not know how far they went after that, I went into Canterbury after 12 miles of that.
It is all nationalities that do it and on the M20 after the Tunnel exit they will even go three abreast as some of the Europeans do not know about the third lane prohibition. The speed limiters are a real safety feature are they not?

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Our local by-pass has lots of lorry drivers overnighting in the lay-bys. There is not a toilet for miles.

Something must happen - Imodium perhaps? I suspect not. :rolleyes:
So if I go into that lay-by and dump my grey water I'm actually doing a public service ;)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have you paid for fixing those grooves you left in the M6 yet?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This is my pet hate ELEPHANT RACING, I have followed two lorries from the Lydden Lights near Dover until the Canterbury turnoff 12 miles. They pulled away from the lights and the one behind decided he could go faster, He did for a bit until they were both doing the Governed speed of 90 Kph and that is where they stayed side by side neither was going to lose face by backing down. Egoistical or not.. I do not know how far they went after that, I went into Canterbury after 12 miles of that.
It is all nationalities that do it and on the M20 after the Tunnel exit they will even go three abreast as some of the Europeans do not know about the third lane prohibition. The speed limiters are a real safety feature are they not?
On the occasions I come across it in the car I just put my hand on the air horns & leave it there until one gets out of the way.
:mad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back