A Knighthood for playng tennis. But not for having been in Bomber command? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Maybe he should have done something more dangerous like being Samantha Cameron's hairdresser he would have got an OBE then!!

Giving that award to that hairdresser just undermines and devalues the whole lot of it. Step forward Lady hairdesser and get your award for curling hair and the odd perm....

It's just a joke innit ..............

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it is obscene that it took so many years for our country to put up a proper memorial to all the young lives lost in bomber command. The absolute minimum that should be done is to knight "Johnny" Johnson on behalf of all who served this country

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The whole honours system is a joke. A peerage for giving money to a political party, knighthood for winning medals at the 'lympics or forty years running the local WRVS a BEM - which for those unfamiliar with gongs is the bottom rung of the ladder. One above the Scouts' badge for skinning badgers.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
The whole honours system is a joke. A peerage for giving money to a political party, knighthood for winning medals at the 'lympics or forty years running the local WRVS a BEM - which for those unfamiliar with gongs is the bottom rung of the ladder. One above the Scouts' badge for skinning badgers.
an old school mate of mine won a BEM while he was in the military,could never remember him skinning badgers though?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Whilst I agree they should have got a medal, the dambusters raid actually did very little in reality to stop German war production, but killed some civillians and consumed a lot of valuable resources.

Bomber Harris's single minded area bombing of civillians strategy in my view unessesarily prolonged the war. As soon as was practically possible the Germans highly vulnerable and centralised synthetic and mineral oil supplies and infrastructure should have been bombed (like they were at the end of the European war). Once this strategy started in Ernest the German war machine ground to a halt. Bomber command has always Bourne the blame for this highly misguided strategy.

Harris himself always said he was right about area bombing of civillians and often had to be ordered to divert resources into other more important areas. He should have been relieved of his command early on.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I think the reality is that if you troll through the surviving WW2 veterans you will find many who deserve recognition ahead of this one.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Does it really matter there are so many gongs given out in the honours list that they don't mean that much. I see Carol Vorderman has one herself perhaps she ought to arrange a ceremony where she donates it to the dambusters veteran.

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Never mind the merits think of the timing.

Our PM and partners are about to try and do a deal, for the future of this country, with a cartel headed by Germany.

We give a Knighthood to a man who killed loads of Germans.

Might be the logic.

Nothing personal but...

F**K the logic.

There was a previous PM who tried to do a deal with a cartel headed by Germany and came back waving an agreement.

That was in 1938.

Germany were defeated because of the courage and sacrifice of men like Mr Johnson, yet now it is it, for all intents and purposes, that is running Europe.

Logic!?

I think he is far more gallant and deserving than any current Knight of the Realm.

Thank you Mr Johnson.

Spud

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009

Our PM and partners are about to try and do a deal, for the future of this country, with a cartel headed by Germany.

Might be the logic.
Hi.
I thought all that had been sorted and hands shaken by opposing foes. This is NOT a snipe at Funsters..Many of the members drive Hymers/Mercs/Audi Cars etc. I would love to own a BMW X5,daughter has had two,she could not get me out of the drivers seats,i would also love an Toyota Amazon 4.2 Turbo Diesel and we fought the Japanese.
If someone in high places,thought they may try to use this as a lever in the negotiations,they are in the wrong job,what about all the WW2 German Rocket scientists,who helped Russia and America to put men on the moon ?.......
The world has moved on,give him his knighthood (If he will except it now?) and tell the EU. to stop playing imaginary mind games if that is what they are doing and get a life.
Tea Bag

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Whilst I agree they should have got a medal, the dambusters raid actually did very little in reality to stop German war production, but killed some civillians and consumed a lot of valuable resources.

Bomber Harris's single minded area bombing of civillians strategy in my view unessesarily prolonged the war. As soon as was practically possible the Germans highly vulnerable and centralised synthetic and mineral oil supplies and infrastructure should have been bombed (like they were at the end of the European war). Once this strategy started in Ernest the German war machine ground to a halt. Bomber command has always Bourne the blame for this highly misguided strategy.

Harris himself always said he was right about area bombing of civillians and often had to be ordered to divert resources into other more important areas. He should have been relieved of his command early on.

I have to say that I take issue with this. IMHO Bomber Harris was made a scapegoat and the whole of bomber command treated badly for what was effective retaliation Against the Germans who were the first to bomb civilians in towns and cities.

Please don't forget that the Americans were also bombing Germany. We had to prove that we could wipe them out if necessary and Dresden was an example of what could be achieved, being about as far away from the UK that you can get in Germany.

Not all bombing was directed at civilians and once the Americans were with us in force there were more bombers than military targets and the civilian morale also needed to be destroyed.

The atom bombs dropped on Japan were no different. Mass destruction and death brought about their surrender. You can be sure that Churchill backed Harris at the time or it would never have taken place!

An insult to those from bomber command who gave their lives for us! They were heroes who risked their lives on every mission!

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
So let's blame the tennis player eh! WTF has he got to do with it? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Set aside the emotive but irrelevant comparisons with Andy Murray et al, why is Vorderman calling for this fine man to have a knighthood? For being one of the brave men who flew on the Dams raid and other missions, or for his subsequent life and charitable works?

If it's for his wartime service, he already has been recognized for that with a DFM and other medals. If it's for his post-service achievements, how do they stack up against all other unsung heroes who have also been overlooked by our distorted honours system? An MBE or OBE might be in order, a knighthood is probably over the top.

I believe the whole shebang needs a thorough overhaul. Peerages and knighthoods for political donations and careers in the right circles should go for starters. Then we need a new category of national awards for achievements in sports, entertainment etc that show the nation's appreciation for the dedication required to excel, but which doesn't devalue the history of the traditional awards.

Recognizing the lifetime of dedication to the nation by Queen Elizabeth II, I think these new awards should bear her name.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
The whole system Is a nonsense take no notice and get on with life they will still be Obe ING when we are just a happy memory

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
An insult to those from bomber command who gave their lives for us! They were heroes who risked their lives on every mission!
Actually to question the tactics does not question the bravery of the airmen one of the biggest cock ups in military history has to be the charge of the light brigade but that doesn't mean the soldiers are any less respected. Its good to question tactics later otherwise if mistakes were made they will be made again.

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Might be the logic.

REMEMBER. Coventry, HULL, London, and many other City`s that Her Georing and his Crews dropped tons of Bombs on. Then wonder why so many of my Fathers Generation STILL hated the Germans way into their late lives!. The Moto is DON'T start what you cannot finish! Or "Thou Reapest what thy sow". It`s about time we started to apply that to those who support ISIS! etc:

Aug 21, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A/T Impala 615
Exp
I'm a slightly less experienced newbie and still learning
Talk about Carol Vorderman going up in your estimation, the Sun has in mine (for this campaign)!
Very worthwhile and worthy of support. As others have said, signed now, better late than never.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
It says more about the public, than the Honours system IMO.. the fact that Murray is the best at hitting a ball over a net , while rich people eat strawberries should not afford him the status lauded on him, and to be honest , I think he would be the first to admit that.

However, our media dictates that these things happen, and, along with all the non celebrities that adorn our so-called news , the result is dumbing down , keeping us away from the real news.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
A large part of the awards system is based upon Joe Public sponsoring/promoting someone to the awards committee with appropriate support and then a committee sifts through and decides the level of award or rejects the application and they are ten vetted as the list goes up the line.

I suspect that there are switched on marketing campaigners, sponsors and supporters who push for their proteges to be put forward as once bestowed with more prestigious awards they become worth more! Bit cynical but that's me. Hence a lot of unsung heroes who go without who don't get put forward.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back