Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newbies, now have a Chausson Flash 08
So here we are with our new, old motorhome which we've now owned for 48 hours, complete beginners . We're currently at a site that has a drain to pour grey water down but you cannot drive over it. What do you recommend we use/buy in such situations? It doesn't matter at the moment as we are only here til Monday and can empty where we will store (until next trip). Just wondered what we need.

OP
OP
beejay

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Oh my quite a debate going on here! Just to say this is a lovely site, they just don't have a facility where you can drive over to get rid. This is our first experience and so I just wanted advice. We've seen people here with waste masters but they are quite big things to store. I'm going to ask warden for advice. We're on a steep learning curve here! ☺

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Oh my quite a debate going on here! Just to say this is a lovely site, they just don't have a facility where you can drive over to get rid. This is our first experience and so I just wanted advice. We've seen people here with waste masters but they are quite big things to store. I'm going to ask warden for advice. We're on a steep learning curve here! ☺

I have a fiamma wheeled waste tank, smaller than wastehog etc so will tuck away in locker no problem.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Or you could wait untill dark and open the tap slightly , by morning it would be empty and no one would know . The earth wouldn't stop spinning , the grass would still grow ,fish won't die ,frogs will still spawn and life will go on .
However it will bother the neyseyers ,who will hope you rot in hell for eternity,but some of us can live with that .:whistle2:

Vlad

And if you do it on a very stormy night, the pitch will be washed clean by morning!:devil:

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
A friend who works as a scientist with the Environment Agency pondered this question for a while ... then advised me that emptying grey water into a hedgerow shouldn't harm wildlife.

I was staying on a site near Hereford that 'invited' you to dump your grey waste into their hedges.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
We've all done it! Only this week I went to dump the grey water at the MH disposal point and it wasn't until I got there that I realised I hadn't closed the tap from my last visit. Oh dear, a trail of grey water up through the site and a very sheepish @DiggerJon. Must do better!

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we stopped at a site in Gairloch last month with a masterpiece of engineering, comprising soil pipe with bends and wooden brackets to hold it at just the right angle, it was even adjustable for length (y)

all because the gully emptying point was in the grass verge, it would nearly have been easier to move the gulley :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I think my tap must be broke as there's always a dribble coming from it when parked. ;)

:reel::reel::reel::reel::reel:
Hey when you find out whats causing it let me know , as mine is just the same , always dripping and i can never seem to close it properly :D :D :D

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I love grey waste threads! :D
But to answer the OP sensibly, we carry 4m of 28.5mm flexi hose, that is long enough to reach most drain points at UK campsites.

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Don't do as I witnessed last week. Out late walking the dog went past a MH with the drain cracked open, same van had his drain open when he left next morning. Not the first time I've seen this.
Oops, sorry, forgot :doh:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beejay

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Ok, thanks to all suggestions!! We'wheniw got some flexible hose. We've taken him to the storage where we were able to drive up to the drain and empty. All done!

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
why not just use the same bucket you use as a pee bucket?
gives it a swill out and saves fresh water doing it with grey water.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beejay

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
why not just use the same bucket you use as a pee bucket?
gives it a swill out and saves fresh water doing it with grey water.
What? I now need to buy a bucket to pee in? Don't we have the Thetford for that? ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
What? I now need to buy a bucket to pee in? Don't we have the Thetford for that? ::bigsmile:
best not pee in there . you dont seem to read other threads . pee in a bucket and your cassette shouldnt smell so bad .
after all smell can be confused with gas .

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Common sense ain't that common.
There is a world of difference between opening the grey water tap on an open rally field, on a roadway where it might cause a slippery surface, or on a small commercial pitch with high & frequent occupancy.
If in doubt ask the landowner or manager.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Oh my quite a debate going on here! I'm going to ask warden for advice.
And you win the prize for the correct answer (to your own question as it 'appens). Well done for sorting your way through that lot above :LOL:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beejay

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
And you win the prize for the correct answer (to your own question as it 'appens). Well done for sorting your way through that lot above :LOL:
The warden, just like someone on here, suggested we get some hose. We didn't have any at the time. On way home we bought some. However where the motorhome is being stored we were able to drive over and discharge into a drain. I am grateful for the constructive advice I have been given. We are new to motorhoming I realise the more experienced members may think my question a bit simple. Anyway it's sorted now so, as someone suggested just now, this post can be closed.
I hope people will be patient if I ask for advice in the future. :unsure:

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I realise the more experienced members may think my question a bit simple.
Don't worry, nobody thinks that - but once you've had a couple of sensible answers, the banter starts to appear! You'll always get good advice here, heavily seasoned with a good dose of Fun ;)
And if you're ever in trouble, somebody on here will be along to help :)

Upvote 0

ColtheCamper

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer E510
Exp
1 year
Buckit and chukit. Specially recycled fatball bucket, fits under a treat (well nearly), also no swearing required when rolling back off chock levellers before removing the now crushed ex fatball bucket. There's always more birdie fatballs

Upvote 0

Dazed 21

Free Member
Aug 19, 2012
SWINDON
Funster No
MH
RT Zefiro 696
Exp
Since 2012
Nice and slim to fit under the lowest grey drain, then it's a bit of exercise to take it to the drain point. Lots of sites I've been on say that they're very happy to have the grey put in the hedgerow, but ask first and not near or on anyone else's pitch:)

Best thing is to wild camp, empty it on the grass, down the drain, etc. Does no harm at all that way, however NEVER on the road or highway, as it could lead to an accident and defo don't drive with it open. Gives us motorhomes a bad name:)

On a narrow boat the grey is pumped directly into the canal. Just a spot of common sense will see you knowing where and when to dump it :)
View attachment 125805 View attachment 125806
Where did you get that low waste tank from? Our MH is really awkward to empty when there isn't a drive over drain! The tap is right in the centre of the undercarriage!

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Where did you get that low waste tank from? Our MH is really awkward to empty when there isn't a drive over drain! The tap is right in the centre of the undercarriage!
Picked mine up at the NEC, but I've seen some on fleabay before:)

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
image.jpeg
Don't worry there are a lot of grey water debates and lots of banter as well! We were new once and as our van had a waste tap in the middle of the floor difficult to empty unless over a purpose built drain . We had a hog but the last van didn't need it so we have a black tank only holds 20 l so needs emptying often . Smaller for space saving than a hog! Enjoy the banter!! You will get used to it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back