A great find ? Or is it ? (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Firstly this is not about Motorhomes, but I didn’t know where to put it ? No naughty suggestions please.
Last night I had a meal with a friend. He told me he had just been clearing up some old stuff for a deceased uncle yesterday when he found an old tin box. Inside he found 300 x penny red and 10 x penny black stamps, a few old white fivers, an assortment of rare old coins, etc, etc.
No idea but surely these must be worth a medium lottery win ?
Your thoughts please.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Firstly this is not about Motorhomes, but I didn’t know where to put it ? No naughty suggestions please.
Last night I had a meal with a friend. He told me he had just been clearing up some old stuff for a deceased uncle yesterday when he found an old tin box. Inside he found 300 x penny red and 10 x penny black stamps, a few old white fivers, an assortment of rare old coins, etc, etc.
Your thoughts please.
Probably best to get them valued

<Broken link removed>

<Broken link removed>

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
It’s an old article but I’d be pretty excited about the Penny Reds if they are genuine... the article suggests there are only 9 known to be in existence ... till now 😳

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
It’s an old article but I’d be pretty excited about the Penny Reds if they are genuine... the article suggests there are only 9 known to be in existence ... till now 😳

I would only find one every so often then! 😂

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Your thoughts please.
How many bottles of wine did you have with dinner!!! Generally if it sounds too good to be true it is.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If you think they’re worth a few pound then I’d offer him a tenner to take them off his hands 😂😂😂

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
There will be 7 people with Penny Red's looking up their local hitmen, 300 new ones will slightly devalue their prized assets!

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Many 10s or 100s of thousands of Penny Reds in stamp collections throughout the world - very few are extremely valuable - it's down to the plate numbers. Penny Blacks are more valuable but it's all down to condition. Have them valued by a stamp dealer (y)

OP
OP
Gaston aires
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
More information. I have just spoken to my friend and he says he has 6 bundles of “used penny reds” all containing about 50 stamps in each bundle.
There is only 1 penny black not 10 and the other stamps in that bundle we’re reds.
He is certainly going to get them valued soon.
I read jimbohorlicks post and it certainly is an interesting subject.
Watch this space for more news sometime later.
Phil

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If I remember right it's something to do with the tiny letters and numbers hidden in the margins.

Don't know why, just something that was triggered in my aging brain when I read you post.

Good luck anyway!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I have used (franked) penny Reds and a couple of Penny Blacks, also used, along with many others mounted with stamp hinge mounts in an A4 binder in the loft. I had hundreds of first day covers which my "ex wife" bought for me, as she set up an account with the post office to send them to me, franked on the first day of issue, in the appropriate area for the stamp.
Long story short, but when we split, as well as half of everything I owned or owned jointly, she took my entire stamp collection also, yes the one she had bought for me, probably thinking they would eventually be passed on down to our non existent kids that never did emerge.

I still have most of my "originals" that I saved from my childhood, but I dont think they are worth very much.
Your best source of "Independent" knowledge & value is to buy a Stanley Gibbons Stamp catalogue, they are issued each year, and give a good general valuation of what can be achieved.
Good luck to your mate.
LES

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back