A great canal side pub Th’owd tithe barn Garstang
A great canal side pub Th’owd tithe barn Garstang

Great Food and Drink A great canal side pub Th’owd tithe barn Garstang (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Morning Howard,
We used to go there about 35 years ago when we lived at Scorton. Remember they had it decorated in an 'agricultutal' theme with implements and hand tools everywhere. There were long bench tables running the length of the building and the waitresses were dressed as 'serving wenches' with mop hats and pinafores. They served fruit wines by the glass out of barrels.
Seem to remember copious amounts of good country food. (y)

Barry

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Back in the day when the Tithe Barn was first developed it was owned and run by a local businessman, John Wilding. The agricultural theme was interesting and the food was great - the wine barrels were a particular favourite 😉 trying all varieties of fruit wines. It’s been a few years since I’ve been but it was in the hands of a brewery when I was last there and didn’t have the same atmosphere. Still ok though.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Morning Howard,
We used to go there about 35 years ago when we lived at Scorton. Remember they had it decorated in an 'agricultutal' theme with implements and hand tools everywhere. There were long bench tables running the length of the building and the waitresses were dressed as 'serving wenches' with mop hats and pinafores. They served fruit wines by the glass out of barrels.

Barry
That was a while back now Barry but yes you are correct they used to have medieval nights ,wild nights indeed. The bench’s have gone now except for some in the windows but the pub still has an agricultural theme . When the sun shines the beer “garden” over looking the canal is a fantastic place to be .👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Back in the day when the Tithe Barn was first developed it was owned and run by a local businessman, John Wilding. The agricultural theme was interesting and the food was great - the wine barrels were a particular favourite 😉 trying all varieties of fruit wines. It’s been a few years since I’ve been but it was in the hands of a brewery when I was last there and didn’t have the same atmosphere. Still ok though.
The wine out of those barrels was absolutely lethal Cal,it finished many people off 😂 . The barrels have gone now but they still sell the killer wine by the glass .👍

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I’ve been here a couple of times in winter, great pub, great atmosphere. Must come back in summer when all this crap is over and have a few beers outside overlooking the canal basin, I bet it’s very nice with a bit of hot sun shining down👍🍻🍻

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Howard H - I know what you mean about the wine barrels 😉.
I was at Bridge House Marina with a few female Funsters and we had a bit of a session in the Tithe Barn. The upshot was bravado kicked in and we agreed to sign up for our first trip to France in our MH’s - and ended up at the Twin Lakes rally. There was about a dozen of us!! Loved a schooner of Mead!! 😂

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Did they used to do lancashire hotpot (about 38 years ago) i remember goin there with my dad on his way to lancaster castle

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Morning Howard,

Barry

Did they used to do lancashire hotpot (about 38 years ago) i remember goin there with my dad on his way to lancaster castle
I was brought up in Garstang and remember the early days of the Tithe barn. The long bench tables and the fruit wines. The hot pots were a bit rough in my memory.
I remember spending a Christmas eve there once though and it was very atmospheric. The tithe barn is in a lovely spot and well worth a visit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back