Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Hi all,
can anyone recommend a secure site around Rome with good access to transport into the historical sites?
I'm just north of Rome at the moment.
Steph
pS - Not too expensive would be a bonus

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
There's an ACSI one with transport links into Rome. I think it was called Camping Tiber. But be VERY careful on the train in - two Funster couples were robbed at the same time when we were all on the metro. :(

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
What happened please?
We were there in 2014 and met two Funster couples. We all decided to go into Rome together the following day, which we did. We spent most of the day together but one of the couples decided to leave early as they had dogs back in the van.

We stayed with the other couple and had a lovely afternoon before getting on to the metro to get to the bus stop to get back to the site. We made the mistake of traveling during the rush hour and the carriage was packed. I had my money in a belt under my clothes. Cliff had his wallet in his front pocket with his hand on it. Our friend had his wallet in the REALLY long front pocket of a pair of cargo shorts. It was a big wallet and believe you me he had to force it down into the bottom of the pocket.

Just as the doors closed and the train was about to set off, the doors suddenly opened, and someone (in hindsight probably a member of the gang already in the carriage) pushed us all in even further, making most of us reach up for the straps to stop us from falling over - that was obviously the ploy. In the midst of the confusion, The members of the gang in the carriage reached into the Funsters pocket and nicked his wallet. He didn't feel a thing.

After a long search for the police station we found it, and spent a peaceful hour explaining to the non English speaking desk sergeant via Google Translate what had happened and being able to cancel credit cards etc in peace.

We got back to the site hours later, only to find the exact same thing had happened to the other couple. They had only just returned to the van, having had to beg a return ticket from a security guard at the British Embassy (which was closed) to enable them to get home.

The moral of the story - DON'T take a wallet into Rome, unless it's well hidden, and even then DON'T fall for the trick of reaching up to grab the strap in the metro carriage - it's so packed there is no fear of falling over anyway!

Also, the gangs operate everywhere - we've spoken to loads of people who've been pickpocketed in different situations.

Separate cards, and be sure to hide at least one in the van, so even if both of you get 'done' you will still have a card in the van.

But, go to Rome - it's a beautiful City with a lovely chilled atmosphere for such a manic place - just be aware of your surroundings! (y)

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
We went into Rome just for the day, as you say a beautiful city but we're warned by a tour guide to wear our rucksack on our front and to watch it at all time, not to speak to anyone who approached us (seems some groups are sending beautiful women or sad old men/children to distract while they rob you) oh and don't go anyway too busy or too quiet!

I was frightened to death the whole day - but still enjoyed it - just be aware of the people around you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Thanks Peterc10, that's a good start, I've located it...and a bus trip not the train! Doesn't sound like fun but pick pockets go with the territory. thanks for the timely reminder cliffandger

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Peterc10, that's a good start, I've located it...and a bus trip not the train! Doesn't sound like fun but pick pockets go with the territory. thanks for the timely reminder cliffandger
We stayed 3 nights and went into the city for 2 full days. One day doing Roman Rome and the next the Vatican. It is worth paying extra for a guided trip for the Coliseum and the Vatican, otherwise you will miss most of the interesting bits or not look at them in their context. And you also get to jump the huge queues to buy tickets. The bus trip back on the first evening was "fun", in the sense of terrifying. Roads were not too busy and he put his foot down through narrow cobbled streets. By god we were bounced about.

We had no problem with pickpockets luckily. But it is the same the world over isn't it? London can be just as bad. And last year I very nearly lost my wallet in Lisbon. Fortunately just felt something and put my hand down. A couple of young women, one distracting us by trying to jump the queue and the other trying to pick my pocket. Luckily tight shorts with deep pockets made the difference.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I can lend you my 'urban disguise' I wore around Europe, trust me, crims don't take a second look when you look like total crap, nobody even bothered trying to pick pocket us.......

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Did you book a tour online ? What did it cost?
It's no something I would normally do, but it might be well worth it for the coliseum.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
No need to book, especially this time of year. We were there this time last year, if you fancy having a guide at the Coliseum there are plenty to choose from when you arrive. Be careful though, a couple of the tours had too many people, the people at the back could not hear a thing.
The Vatican is amazing and the tours there are very well organised and leave at certain times on the hour.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Did you book a tour online ? What did it cost?
It's no something I would normally do, but it might be well worth it for the coliseum.
We broke all the rules and just found one at the Coliseum. Tour also included a guide for the Palantine Hill and entry into the Roman forum ruins. So good that we bought tickets for the Vatican from them for the next day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back