Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
The subject of Go Boxes for Austria and more recently Slovenia, has for some of us been a bit of a bother and I for one seem to find differing opinions on different threads and forums. With this in mind as I planned a trip to Croatia via favourite haunts in Austria and Slovenia I researched as our motorhome is now above 3500kgs. The Go box for Slovenia is new this month, April , and it is no longer possible to pay by cash or card and is therefore same Austria. I decided on a toll free route through Austria but needed to use Slovenian motorways and expressways so registered my vehicle with DARS in Slovenia by uploading a copy of my V5C and a copy Certificate of Conformity showing its emissions. I also pre paid €50 of tolls.
Problems Started in Austria when 20 kilometres from Innsbruck weight, height and other restrictions meant we were directed on to a motorway so decision was made to acquire a Go Box, but where, motorway service area looked gone out when I enquired. Eventually found a helpful policeman who directed us to a local fuel station where they uploaded a copy of V5C and C of C and relieved me of €80, €5 deposit and €75 of toll prepayment.
Decided to use motorways today for our journey via Karawanken Tunnel to Ljubljana and quite early on the Go box started to give an extra beep at each gantry, a sign it may be running low. Ready for coffee so pulled into sevice area and took box to cash desk, they scanned it and showed me €39 of remaining credit so ignore till later or top up, minimum€75.
Eventually reached Karawanken Tunnel and passed straight through tolls courtesy of Austrian Go box pulled into first service area and showed my receipt from DARS, they scanned that and relieved me of €10 for the box and loaded my €50 of credit. They then took for €4.60toll for the tunnel, a saving on the cost of a car toll.
So in conclusion a pain in the proverbial but I'm happy that I am legal and no longer need to worry so much about routes. Not sure about unused credit but will try and find out soon. As far as I can tell there is no longer a requirement in Austria to upload copy V5C or C of C within 10 days, it's all done at point of purchase. Sorry to be so long winded but hope this helps some of you.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Sounds a real pain! We are planning that route next week and hoping to avoid tolls. Going on the 182 through Austria. Can I ask what size is your motorhome? .Are you double axle ?

OP
OP
J

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Sounds a real pain! We are planning that route next week and hoping to avoid tolls. Going on the 182 through Austria. Can I ask what size is your motorhome? .Are you double axle ?
We are a a 3800kgs coachbuilt and not a tag axle. We found that at the moment there seems to be a lot of reconstruction work on non motorway passes. Currently temporary traffic lights on Fern Pass during working hours causing considerable problems.
Not sure of current cost of the Vignette for below 3500kgs vehicles but Go box does cover tolls for toll tunnels but not Karawanken Tunnel. The €75 pre pay will cover a fair bit of motorway the www.asfinag.at web site has a cost table. If you enter Austria by motorway the last few German service areas sell the box and the first few in Austria. We struggled because we were well past the border when we tried to purchase. Same applies entering Slovenia. You don't have to prepay as I did. I'm not sure but I am beginning to think the cost is no worse than Spain or France . I'm still trying to work that out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back