Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The only time I got pulled over by the French Police was for failing to stop at a stop sign with 'Stop' written on it in English, so no excuses there.

I'd just assumed that if you can see empty road stretching into infinity either side of a junction it's OK to drift round. Apparently not - stop means stop.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I don't trust the police, they're naturally suspicious.......it seems to come with the job. My cousin was a traffic sergeant with the old Strathclyde police years back and he would have booked his granny if he could have::bigsmile:

A couple of years back a couple of cops came to our door one night asking if we had seen or heard anything suspicious between midnight and 3am the night before. Several dozen sheep had been stolen from fields behind us, we assured them we hadn't seen anything. But whilst one cop was asking the questions, his side-kick was over at the car windscreen shining his torch all over it whilst checking the road tax:Angry: I was tempted to say "We're not hiding any sheep in there"! Then thought better of it......

Bill

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I asked this question a while back, about going to the loo whilst travelling. I had to spend a penny whilst we were heading north on the M6 a while back, too many cups of tea at our last stop in Skipton:roflmto:

I came to the conclusion that if it's ok to go to the loo on a coach whilst moving, then it's ok to do it in the van. It was a "one-off" though, I won't be making a habit of it.......very bumpy:Blush:

Margaret

AND, one false move, you just wiped your bum on the shower curtain!! ::bigsmile::winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
The only time I got pulled over by the French Police was for failing to stop at a stop sign with 'Stop' written on it in English, so no excuses there.

I'd just assumed that if you can see empty road stretching into infinity either side of a junction it's OK to drift round. Apparently not - stop means stop.

It makes you wonder if they're hiding behind bushes waiting for someone to go through without stopping........grrrr!:Angry:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
AND, one false move, you just wiped your bum on the shower curtain!! ::bigsmile::winky:

Well charming! I had only gone to spend a penny......if you'd read my post properly, obviously not:Sad:

In lieu of your distasteful comment, I am not going to get bogged down......:RollEyes:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well charming! I had only gone to spend a penny......if you'd read my post properly, obviously not:Sad:

In lieu of your distasteful comment, I am not going to get bogged down......:RollEyes:

*Ahem*.....Simple deduction's, Watson.....You were heading North, from the Yorkshire town of Skipton. You reported 'several cups of tea'. It is well known that the town water supply in Skipton originates from the Leeds and Liverpool canal. Hence, following a large amount of tea, (canal water), you may have had the 'runs'.....
You were obviously heading home to Scotland. A penny in Scotland can mean more then the face value, maybe tuppence? So, you were spending more then a penny........::bigsmile::winky:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
*Ahem*.....Simple deduction's, Watson.....You were heading North, from the Yorkshire town of Skipton. You reported 'several cups of tea'. It is well known that the town water supply in Skipton originates from the Leeds and Liverpool canal. Hence, following a large amount of tea, (canal water), you may have had the 'runs'.....
You were obviously heading home to Scotland. A penny in Scotland can mean more then the face value, maybe tuppence? So, you were spending more then a penny........::bigsmile::winky:

:RollEyes::Doh:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
What a sad indictment of todays feelings about "Plod".. When we where all all growing up the "boys in blue" were honourable and respected.. How times, and standards, change!!!
Sad.. Shared a venue with a police "Do" once, they were in the adjacent annex and lots of them went "rolling out" and drove home !!!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
When we where all all growing up the "boys in blue" were honourable and respected..

I think a lot of the respect went once the Ford Anglia, and Mk1 Mini came into the police 'on the beat' process. You saw your local bobby walking around, chatting, picking up 'intel' about local issues from the resident's. That all seemed to stop once 'panda' cars started to be used, (mid 60's).
In some strange way the police alienated themselves from those who respected and supported them the most, not good. :Sad:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Stop Press

STOP PRESS

Motorhome site contributors in bid to take over Daily Mail mission to have a go at old bill.

A spokesperson said, "Well, members saw police and didn't know what they were doing or why so they decided to slag them off anyway just in case, whether justified or not" Another member said, "Yeah well, we know that many of them face guns knives and nutters on our behalf, and yes we wouldn't have the guts to do so ourselves, but we thought it would be a bit of fun to tar them all with the same brush forgetting that in any organisation there will be a few plonkers"

A Daliy Mirror spokesperson said, "we are very grateful to the site members for taking on this mantle and allowing us to concentrate on the important news stories coming from the USA at the same time we can devote more resources to having a pop at people who cannot, or will not bite back."

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
STOP PRESS

Motorhome site contributor in bid to stifle free speech.

People criticizing the police on a popular motorhome website, have been branded as 'having a go at the Old Bill', regardless of the fact that the UK Police are public servants, and are paid by these very same people, and millions more like them. An alleged statement by a site member, namely "Yeah well, we know that many of them face guns knives and nutters on our behalf, and yes we wouldn't have the guts to do so ourselves, but we thought it would be a bit of fun to tar them all with the same brush forgetting that in any organisation there will be a few plonkers" couldn't be found within the thread concerned, and has been put down as 'journalistic invention'
Is this an attempt to stifle peoples concerns about failings in our police force, or the understandable defensive ramblings of an ex policeman, we ask...........???

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Be interesting to find out the rules about moving around when in motion.

I often have to go grab the fridge door, OR the cutlery drawer.

We have done the same.
I am also interested in this as a ex coach driver. My passengers often moved about while in motion.

A Motorhome is a category M vehicle, as are cars, minibuses and coaches.

Motor vehicles with at least four wheels:
Category M: used for the carriage of passengers
Category M1: no more than eight seats in addition to the driver’s seat.
Category M2: Vehicles with more than eight seats in addition to the driver’s seat: that have a maximum mass not exceeding 5000kg
Category M3: Vehicles with more than eight seats in addition to the driver’s seat: That have a maximum mass exceeding 5000kg

Can anyone point out the rules about moving around when in motion other than seatbelt regulations.
Highway Code
Seat belts and child restraints

99. You MUST wear a seat belt in cars, vans and other goods vehicles if one is fitted. Adults, and children aged 14 years and over, MUST use a seat belt or child restraint, where fitted, when seated in minibuses, buses and coaches. Exemptions are allowed for the holders of medical exemption certificates and those making deliveries or collections in goods vehicles when travelling less than 50 metres (approx 162 feet).

[Laws RTA 1988 sects 14 & 15, MV(WSB)R, MV(WSBCFS)R & MV(WSB)(A)R]

The Highway Code only stipulated that a seatbelt must be worn when seated. It does not ban moving about in a moving vehicle where this is possible.

In Spain the law is quite specific about using beds while in motion. It is not permitted

[FONT=Courier New, monospace][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]INSTRUCTION 08/V-74 FROM THE SPANISH DIRECTOR GENERAL OF TRAFFIC RELATIVE TO MOTORHOMES.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The rules as set out completely exclude the possibility of occupying the beds or bunks of a motorhome whilst in circulation, due to the obvious risk to the occupants in the event of sudden braking, collision or rollover, but you can occupy seats equipped with approved retention systems, provided that the number of people travelling in the vehicle, either in the cockpit or in the living area, does not exceed the legally permitted places that are recorded in the documentation of the vehicle. [/FONT]

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
:Eeek:On the way home from the dealership ......

Now not sure whether to be relieved because there was no mad axe murderer hiding in the loo...or a bit peeved because the delay made me late for lunch.

Perhaps he just wanted to look round inside? You never know.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
STOP PRESS

Motorhome site contributor in bid to stifle free speech.

People criticizing the police on a popular motorhome website, have been branded as 'having a go at the Old Bill', regardless of the fact that the UK Police are public servants, and are paid by these very same people, and millions more like them. An alleged statement by a site member, namely "Yeah well, we know that many of them face guns knives and nutters on our behalf, and yes we wouldn't have the guts to do so ourselves, but we thought it would be a bit of fun to tar them all with the same brush forgetting that in any organisation there will be a few plonkers" couldn't be found within the thread concerned, and has been put down as 'journalistic invention'
Is this an attempt to stifle peoples concerns about failings in our police force, or the understandable defensive ramblings of an ex policeman, we ask...........???[/QUOTE

FURTHER STOP PRESS

It was reported today that a contributor to a popular website has been accused of attempting to stifle peoples concerns about failings in our police force. When interviewed the member is alleged to have said:-

"We would welcome genuine constructive feedback from the general public because we recognise that not everyone in our organisation is perfect in every way. We do not however welcome generalised derogatory observations made by those intent on complaining about everything we do just because they once got a speeding ticket and feel victimised even though they were in fact speeding and had got way with it previously."

Research has shown that there are similar criticisms of old bill throughout Europe. One motorhome driver returning to the UK from a trip through France and Italy and chosen at random on a ferry said:- "We had a great time except when they gave on the spot fines for speeding and failing to stop I mean I was only doing 70 in a 50 limit and they had been following me just because I didn't stop on a stop line. Its totally unfair." Another, thing, just because I parked in Saint Peters Square when I went to give the Pope an audience, they threatened to tow me away, I told them I couldn't see what their problem was and that they were discouraging tourism, but they just couldn't see that in my case they ought to be making exceptions, idiots." "Glad to get home to some decent food really, can't stand that foreign muck."

On the opposite side of the coin a resident told of witnessing what appeared to be a terrorist in a London street pointing gun at people and shouting fundamentalist slogans. She said, "The police turned up, a male and a female officer. They got out of their car, they were unarmed but confronted the man and managed to overpower him, just as well really, if it hadn't been for them people could have been killed."

Last edited:

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
On the other side of the coin .......
Riding a motorcycle, I was stopped by a patrol car for having no rear light/no. plate illumination. After a quick examination of the light, it was noticed that the wire feeding it was worn through by contact with the tyre. The policeman returned to his car and came back with a roll of insulating tape and helped to repair it. After checking the light now worked, he bid me goodnight and drove off. And I have witnessed other instances of good PR from the 'boys in blue'.:thumb:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I had a trials m/bike overtaking me as I passed a p/car in a laybyon the a1.he pulled me over and said that my van was making to much noise.i tried to explain.but one of my sons was laughing so much the p/officer.got quite upset.my son then asked what volume was allowed.and the p/o could not give us a answer.my son then told him.the p/o said how do you know.my son then told him he was a tech for police veh.and then said he was laughing because it was a police trials bike that had overtook us.and just then one more went passed.no sorry just mutted something and walked away.nice aren't they.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
A

Another Lesley

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
I am not anti-police ::bigsmile:, I quite like them as a species, there are some that need to get their heads out of their rear ends, but most are ok folks. A few years ago, in our last MH we left home at just after 2.00 one morning as we wanted to be in Malvern at sparrows cough. Hadn't even left the village before an oncoming police car passed us, did a quick U turn and followed me up the road a pace before lighting up the night sky with the blue flashes. Usual questions ensued....name, address, where have you come from, where are you going, is this your vehicle etc etc. The answers satisfied the officer, but after enquiring why he had stopped us, he said it was unusual to see a vehicle like ours on the road at that time of the morning. This was a fair point and I said so....after all if it had been stolen then I would have got it back without the trauma and drama.

As a parting shot the Policeman then said....by the way, your MOT expired a week ago!!... :Eeek: I know these things don't get out very often and MOT gets forgotten. Get it to a testing station ASAP please. Then he walked away. He could have been Mr Officious, but he was a) Concerned that the vehicle had been stolen and B) Understood that mistakes can happen. A local lad, doing a good job we thought. :thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
"We would welcome genuine constructive feedback from the general public because we recognise that not everyone in our organisation is perfect in every way. We do not however welcome generalised derogatory observations made by those intent on complaining about everything we do just because they once got a speeding ticket and feel victimised even though they were in fact speeding and had got way with it previously."

Tough. Derogatory Observations come with the big hat and large wage packet. If the police cant take criticism from their employers, (the general public), then maybe it's time to hang up the 'andcuffs, Guv. :thumb:

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Tough

Tough. Derogatory Observations come with the big hat and large wage packet. If the police cant take criticism from their employers, (the general public), then maybe it's time to hang up the 'andcuffs, Guv. :thumb:[/

General derogatory observations are not the same as genuine criticism which is perfectly fine and welcome.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Tough. Derogatory Observations come with the big hat and large wage packet. If the police cant take criticism from their employers, (the general public), then maybe it's time to hang up the 'andcuffs, Guv. :thumb:[/

General derogatory observations are not the same as genuine criticism which is perfectly fine and welcome.

And why not?? This is a publicly funded body we are discussing. If you feel, as a taxpayer, that your getting poor or inferior service, then surely your entitled to phrase your objections as you would wish, provided that certain boundaries are kept?
Surely your not suggesting that people must re-phrase their comments, because the public body concerned might be hurt? By the sheer fact that the Police Service of England and Wales is publicly funded, then residents of both countries can formulate and express their thoughts, in whatever form that takes.
The problem seems to be that the Police as a body do carry out some stupid and illogical actions, in the minority I agree, but then they leave themselves wide open for abuse and recriminations, no matter what form that takes, derogatory or critically. Same with the Army, Traffic Wardens, Politicians etc

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
And why not?? This is a publicly funded body we are discussing. If you feel, as a taxpayer, that your getting poor or inferior service, then surely your entitled to phrase your objections as you would wish, provided that certain boundaries are kept?
Surely your not suggesting that people must re-phrase their comments, because the public body concerned might be hurt? By the sheer fact that the Police Service of England and Wales is publicly funded, then residents of both countries can formulate and express their thoughts, in whatever form that takes.
The problem seems to be that the Police as a body do carry out some stupid and illogical actions, in the minority I agree, but then they leave themselves wide open for abuse and recriminations, no matter what form that takes, derogatory or critically. Same with the Army, Traffic Wardens, Politicians etc

I agree with some of what you say, of course people should protest if they feel they are getting poor service, but I doubt you will ever agree there is a difference between justified constructive criticism which often helps to drive change and improvement and general unjustified slagging off which has the opposite effect. There are many people in public service who strive to do their very best, often going further than they need and whilst they are glad of the former, they find the later tends to stick in the throat.

I don't think this difference of opinion will be helped by further debate and I do think others may feel it's getting a bit long winded and boring. The original posting, I suggest was never intended to promote acrimony, rather just meant as an amusing an observation. So for me, it's time withdraw.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back