Free Member
May 8, 2008
The open road
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
officially since 22 feb 2010
:Blush: this is going to sound really daft, but is there anyone out there who knows if it is "actually" legal to tow a car behind a motorhome using an A-frame.

I have been told that on the continent it is not and that in the UK it is........for now.

What does the letter of the law say?

The weights are not the issue, nor is the speed. What I want to know is "Can I legally tow my car behind an RV/motorhome on an A-frame?:Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It doesn't sound daft, A frames are a convenient and proven safe way to transport a second vehicle. They are deemed to be legal here and in theory that should make them legal elsewhere in Europe. The odd one or two (and I mean 1 or 2 out of countless thousands) have reported having an on the spot fine in Spain and Italy. Is this fine a small price to pay for the convenience? many people think so as the sale of A Frames continues on and up.

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Free Member
May 8, 2008
The open road
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
officially since 22 feb 2010
Thank Jim:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
More to the point don't exceed 8.25 tons including car if your driving on a car licence.

backstreetbarry

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Funster No
A Frames.

:Blush: this is going to sound really daft, but is there anyone out there who knows if it is "actually" legal to tow a car behind a motorhome using an A-frame.

I have been told that on the continent it is not and that in the UK it is........for now.

What does the letter of the law say?

The weights are not the issue, nor is the speed. What I want to know is "Can I legally tow my car behind an RV/motorhome on an A-frame?:Smile:

This is a very grey area, we have contacted the Police in England and cannot get a firm yea or nay from them Theoretically, if something is legal in England, then it should be classed as legal in Europe, but as there has never been a test case in England, no-one knows. We have towed a car on an a
A frame for the past 4 years and have been stopped each year when in Spain and also on the border going into France. Luckily the supplier/fitter of our A frame furnished us with a lot of paperwork in many different languages, pointing out that the car is actually a braked trailer with lights and should be treated as such. We also have paperwork relating to a case in Spain where the driver of a motorhome with an attached A frame was prosecuted and he appealed. The Court in Spain decision was reversed and the fine refunded. This set a precident in Spain and is actually the piece of paper the Police take notice of. We cannot get an absolute clarification of this situation, so you should treat the A-frame situation cautiously. We have always been allowed to go on our way, but other people have not been so lucky and there are stories of cars having to be unhooked and either left where they are or another person made to drive the car, It really is time this matter was resolved one and for all, maybe we should all lobby our respective Clubs for their help. Hope this is of help to you, best of luck and happy travels Pat and Barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back