A Frames in Spain (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
  1. Any braked trailers manufactured after April 1989 must be fitted with a hydraulically damped coupling and auto reverse brakes to give braking efficiencies required by EEC Directive 71/320 (ECE13).

OP
OP
Tony Hunt

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Hi

I think most who have an A frame are aware of this type of document, also supplied by Car A Tow frames..

but does anyone know if it's ever been put to the test.. and more importantly, been accepted by the police ?

My friend had a Car A Tow frame fitted the day he left for spain. He had all that paperwork exactly the same as Towtal supply. The Spanish police ( He thinks they were genuine but you never know) wern't interested at all in the papers, they read it and dismissed it by saying new regulations over ruled it.

Ive started something here havent I. That statement I made and also echoed by Jim about Spain being overrun by Crime, too expensive, no aires or hardly any, hardly any access to LPG for RVs, etc, etc, etc is starting to make it a no go zone, thats not to mention double tolls on the motorways for large RVs and Tag axle European. You can go on and on. Our friends have regularly gone to spain each winter but this year couldnt get over the high cost of everything, food, fuel and campsites.
What would have been a stay from Christmas to May turned into a three week overpriced fiasco, I couldnt believe it when they rang and said they were home. The fine was the last straw.
Nothing going for them except winter sun

Its cheaper to stay at home now in the winter and Tour France or Germany or even the UK through our summer. Spains finished unless they get their act together.

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
Just a warning to anybody that uses A Frames. Friends of ours were stopped on the Motorway outside of Barcelona recently whilst on the way home and fined £100 on the spot for using an A Frame.quote]

[quote.My friend had a Car A Tow frame fitted the day he left for spain. He had all that paperwork exactly the same as Towtal supply. The Spanish police ( He thinks they were genuine but you never know) wern't interested at all in the papers, they read it and dismissed it by saying new regulations over ruled it.quote]

[quote Same as happened to me when we arrived at Parc Verger, after a day or two towing the car battery was flat, something to do with brake & side lights running it down. Anyway the police had left themin a highly dangerous spot so they put a tow rope on and started towing it around Barcelona city centre ( got lost in the panic) To cut a long story short, they got the car started eventually and his son drove it just in case, as soon as they got to the french border they hooked up again.quote]

quote. Friends of ours were stopped on the Motorway quote. Were they stopped as in not moving or were they pulled over?
Confusing ME - THEM

So, may not be a genuine case then?:RollEyes: Plus no one has heard of any changes to Spanish law:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tony Hunt

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Yes the police were very real. Since I posted Ive spoken to my friends again. The police spent some time with them photographing everything apparently. They even had to radio into their headquarters to check out how much the fine should be. All the paperwork was very official looking also.
The laws have changed in spain I think you'll find. Apparently according to Jim scotland there was a thread to that effect on this forum a couple of weeks ago.

Its a very real worry now especially for couples travelling where only one can drive. If you got stopped on a motorway like my friend did and you have to unhook immediately its going to be one hell of an expensive exercise to get your car back to civilisation.
Spain obviously doesnt want Motorhome tourists. They dont need our money it seems. something like this will spread like wildfire.
Jim Scotlands post earlier on this thread remarking how he was cheesed off with the lack of aires, high cost of everything, Crime against tourists etc etc
shows how others are starting to think of seriously not visiting the place until they get their act together. Most people travelling to spain for any length of time take some form of transport with them to get around the place. You cant go sightseeing or shopping in a big RV or large european.
Well thats three of us who wont be visiting again, I suspect there will be a lot more before long.
Like I said earlier the only thing they have going for them is winter sun, what else is there worth visiting spain for.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I found this thread,

Link Removed

and this one on Spain's unfriendly attitude to motorhomes..

As many of you are already aware, here in Spain, Motorhome and Camping Car users are having a pretty tough time as in some regions not only is it forbidden for Motorhomes and Campers to drive through some towns but we are also at risk of receiving a heavy fine of approximately 600 Euros (approx. 400 Pounds Sterling) if you even dare to challenge their illegal rules.

Link Removed

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hi

I think most who have an A frame are aware of this type of document, also supplied by Car A Tow frames..

but does anyone know if it's ever been put to the test.. and more importantly, been accepted by the police ?

Doubt by bogus ones anyway:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
A frames were still in use on the Algarve when we left a few weeks ago..

Doug...

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I found this thread,

Link Removed

and this one on Spain's unfriendly attitude to motorhomes..

Link Removed

Strange the request to hear from someone who had actually been stopped and prosecuted got no replies. These !!!stories!!! are always secondhand which is why so many are sceptical about the accuracy of what is reported.

OP
OP
Tony Hunt

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Trouble is some people dont want to hear anything that upsets their cosy lives. Bit like the gassing threads mainly on the dark forum that nobody wants to believe but do actually happen but lets not go there.:Smile:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Last time I went to Spain I was fined £70 for not wearing a crash helmet in a car :whatthe: (thats what the fine translated to when I got back to the hire car company) I was told by the police (through cards) that if I didn't pay cash on the spot the car would be impounded and I would have to pay recovery/storage on top of the fine.
They also refused to give change so I had to walk 2 miles back to a garage to get change...................Never been back (that was 1982)

Take my advice, if you want sun all year round and friendly people (even police) go to the Algarve in Portugal, I spent a year there on cotract and loved it.

The worst thing that happened out there was 2 cops pulled me over one night and asked my if I could get them some weed (marajuana). lol!

Boo

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
They do,they just don't want something on their roads that they consider "unsafe".:winky:

Interesting thought...
So the Spanish do not consider satnavs or any other screen in the front of a vehicle as safe ( this includes said sat navs and rearview camera/monitor set ups ), nor bike to bike or helmet to helmet coms on bikes...
This info is direct from a good mate who works in a very swanky main dealers.. they are having to pull the fuse on sat navs before allowing the vehicle on the road ( carefully showing the customer where and how to put it back once they leave of course ! )
He has actually had enough of the place and after 5 years he is returning to the UK in April

Personally I believe the Spanish see tourist type motorists as a nice gennerous cash cow which they milk at will..

There are several other countries to go to that will welcome you and not rip you off ( Italy springs to mind .. Never once had a single problem with the police there.. Very laid back and providing you are friendly and civil they bend over backwards to assist and try to ensure your time 'ina my boooooteefeeeelll coontreeee' is all fun and no nasty memories )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back