A frames in France and Germany (1 Viewer)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
How is towing with an A frame viewed in France and Germany, I know they are no no in Spain, are the best ones the ones that fix to the car front with brackets, or are the ones with chains around the lower arms OK. Any experiences please.
Also, does any one know if a car with a non cable driven speedo still records the mileage when being towed with the ignition off ??.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
France OK,
Germany rumour has it they are spoiling for a fight
Chain type A frame is recovery only very strict speed restrictions apply
Electronic speedo honest answer duno never checked it logic says it shouldn't clock mileage

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
oh dear.... big can of worms now opened :reel::whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Speedo on my Matiz doesn't increase the mileage when towed on an A Frame so recorded mileage is a bit optimistic as far as the tyres and brakes are concerned.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as A frames become more popular i reckon most of Europe will kick off....including the UK at some point. :Eeek:

and logic says, if no electrical power to the speedo electronics then it cant register mileages

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i say chain type if fitted with a sliding hitch ok . but is it really worth the bother. sliding hitch really isnt good enough .i dont think very many of the uk sold aframes meet the auto reverse brake regs . but i do know a few do.
chain typ[e with electric actuator brakes great. but hardly any use them.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
How is towing with an A frame viewed in France and Germany, I know they are no no in Spain, are the best ones the ones that fix to the car front with brackets, or are the ones with chains around the lower arms OK. Any experiences please.
Also, does any one know if a car with a non cable driven speedo still records the mileage when being towed with the ignition off ??.
my 2002 ford fiesta did not clock miles when on tow
i used the brakebuddy system as it is the only one you know is adjustable when going up/down hills expensive but works the best

got the buddy and A frame for sale if you want one fitted to a 1.25 4 door fiesta

Last edited:

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Recently travelled all the way down Germany from Aachen to Salzburg and not seen one single A frame, many trailers but no A frames. Don't know if that tells a story or not, but I wouldn't risk it unless you are happy to possibly get stopped.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
France OK,
Germany rumour has it they are spoiling for a fight
Chain type A frame is recovery only very strict speed restrictions apply
Electronic speedo honest answer duno never checked it logic says it shouldn't clock mileage

I don't think France accepts the A Frame....I was told that Motorhomes are and have been stopped .....told to remove the car....this is ok if there are two drivers on board... and a fine had been imposed.
But I am not 100%, like many pieces of information....if its not first hand and you see it happen in front of you :Doh:
But I see many French vans now with Trailers being pulled ....more now than I have ever seen..you may travel through France and get away with it.

I think the uk is the only place that seems to allow "A" frames and I hear that is a grey area not yet confirmed.....pay's your money take's your chance:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back