A Frames, but a different question. (1 Viewer)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
My neighbour who tugs has asked me a question regarding number plates on toads which puzzles him, and now me.

Apparently he's seen at least 3 toads carrying the same number plate as the towing vehicle, the latest in Scotland, they may have all been there. These appear to be permanent number plates, front and rear on the toad and not temporary whilst just under tow. He's also seen the toad used solo still with the same plate.

How does this work, surely you can't have two vehicles on the road with the same plate?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My neighbour who tugs has asked me a question regarding number plates on toads which puzzles him, and now me.

Apparently he's seen at least 3 toads carrying the same number plate as the towing vehicle, the latest in Scotland, they may have all been there. These appear to be permanent number plates, front and rear on the toad and not temporary whilst just under tow. He's also seen the toad used solo still with the same plate.

How does this work,[HI] surely you can't have two vehicles on the road with the same plate?[/HI]

Indeed Not .. it's more than likely they have a forgotten to remove the plate or are too lazy ..

you must have the motorhome plate on the rear of the toad while towing but there is no need for one on front

the one I had clipped over the toad's plate..

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
As Jim says, when the toad is coupled to the motorhome it in effect becomes a trailer and must carry the same plate on the rear as the m/h.
Once uncoupled the toad is then a vehicle in its own right and will be registered as such.
Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When I had the buggy, I had a numberplate that was the same size as the one on the buggy, and used Velcro to hold it on to the buggy number plate

It looked as if it was a permanent attachment but was easily pulled off :Smile:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Yes just the rear when towing same has a trailer, on a similar thing friends of ours have private number plates on there cars, just initials and numbers one day a police officer called on a matter not relating to them when he saw the plates he proudly announced that it was illegal to have the same reg on both cars, although they were different he took some convincing they were not the same, he would prob make a good witness in court NOT :winky::winky: Pete

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i bought two new m,bikes in 2001 ,one is 997 one is 998 . i can never remember which one is which. the number of folk that ask are they personal plates . when i say no .they then say i was lucky to find bikes with plates that follow . i just smile and snigger to myself .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this is one area of European law we haven't adopted ...yet.

most, if not all, European countries (and many none EU countries too) require a trailer to be registered in its own right and must display the allotted number plate for that trailer.

UK law is too lax....my trailer, until 3 weeks ago, had the number plate for a 1989 ford sierra attached.

my mate borrowed the trailer 10 years ago and never removed his plate.

now been behind 3 of my cars using that plate and never stopped once :Doh: but then, it has no triangular reflectors or fog lights either. :Blush:

Memo to self....fit reflectors before Birmingham trip on Saturday

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back