Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have a Photo somewhere, and If a Can find it I will upload it. But basically it shows and Old R-V parked, with 3 (yes Three!!) Old Suzuki 4WD vehicles all linked together With "A" frames as a "road Train".!!, Taken I think, from Memory, when we where parked up at the Big Asteroid Crater in Arizona?

Pete
And what exactly is wrong wiv that???
if youv'e been stateside you must have seen how they piggy back their Tractor units ( Arctic cabs) units about the place leapfrog style front wheel up on the back of the one in front ive seen 6 +the one towing(y)
they know how to live with risk in the USA where we put far too much effort in trying to eliminate it and when you sit down and analyse it, Its the Idiots that want eliminating not the risk
G

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
And what exactly is wrong wiv that???
if youv'e been stateside you must have seen how they piggy back their Tractor units ( Arctic cabs) units about the place leapfrog style front wheel up on the back of the one in front ive seen 6 +the one towing(y)
they know how to live with risk in the USA where we put far too much effort in trying to eliminate it and when you sit down and analyse it, Its the Idiots that want eliminating not the risk
G

Geo. I entirely agree with you. Europe is LIGHT YEARS behind the USA. where we live in A Cloud cuckoo land of "Nanny State" Mentality. And over Bureaucratisation!! Protect and make safe ? OK? But State control Freakery? I`ll pass!

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
A framing UK and abroad - this may help --- or not as the case may be :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• a-frames-and-dollies.pdf
    475.7 KB · Views: 28

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
This page on our Gov website confirms the legality of towing in Spain https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

As Jim has pointed out the Foreign Office leave no doubt as to the illegality of A frame towing in Spain

Guidance From:
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Part of:
Living in country guides and Europe
First published:
22 March 2013
Last updated:
11 February 2014,

Tow a car with a motorhome
Towing a car behind a motor home using an A-frame is illegal in Spain and you will be fined for using one.

End of

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
As Jim has pointed out the Foreign Office leave no doubt as to the illegality of A frame towing in Spain

Guidance From:
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Part of:
Living in country guides and Europe
First published:
22 March 2013
Last updated:
11 February 2014,

Tow a car with a motorhome
Towing a car behind a motor home using an A-frame is illegal in Spain and you will be fined for using one.

End of

With the emphasis on "Guidance". That still leave it a Grey area. There is current home office "Guidance" for Syria and large parts of the Middle East!, but the Bu***ers STILL go!.

To be fair, I have put the issue several times. I did it before when it was largely ignored. I BELIEVE the Spanish are in breach of EU convention. (but then when has that ever bothered them? or the French!). And if travelling to Spain now, I would use and recomend a Trailer.

Pete

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter whether an A frame is legal or not in Spain( although I believe they are illegal ) but whether the police think they are illegal. As said previously, if you want to take the risk, then A frame, if not, get a trailer or hire a car when you get there. No one has cast doubt on the safety of A frames, just their legality. As long as you are prepared for potential problems, fines etc go ahead!

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Remember guys, an A-frame isn't of itself illegal in Spain.
It's the ACT of TOWING one road vehicle with another road vehicle that is completely illegal under Spanish road traffic law....whether done via towrope, bar, or A-frame it's illegal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back