A frame towing in France (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think these are more typical and look more robust.
1601890474815.png

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
So. Was it a ‘wiz bang idea’ to get around the A frame rules in France by fitting one to a 2CV due to its low weight (below 750kgs including the frame)?

NO.

Could you get away with it, as many do? Well. Do you knowingly break the law regularly in the UK in any way? If not, why would you knowingly break the law in France
Many do break the law here in France frequently by not registering their vehicles and driving around still with number plates of their former country.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
30x30x3mm Tony, now don't be silly it obvious you have never seen how the crossmember is attached to the front of a car, in an extremely unlikely jackknife situation it would simply tear out of the front of the car leaving the box undamaged.::bigsmile:
Have a look at all the professional ones made in the states, no one uses anything stronger and they don't seem to have a problem.

A frames are different to drawbars as they don't have to bear part of the weight of the trailer so don't need to be so strong, and trailers have to be designed as you know for numpty's loading them badly, putting excessive weight on the drawbar and towing vehicle, as we see with caravans all the time.
I’d agree you’d probably rip it out of the car first!
Jackknifing is certainly less of an issue with a ‘toad’ simply because hardly anyone ever reverses them! That said, I have had bent drawbars caused by exactly that and, they were bigger section than 30x30....

The weight bearing bit is an issue with trailers. The heaviest stress is under the front cross member. Jackknifing is a whole different set of stresses though, once it’s gone, if the driver isn’t aware, he’s trying to push the ‘trailer’ sideways..... With a ‘wheel at each corner’ trailer, it just isn’t going to go!
E3D27AB2-4437-42FC-9FB1-0F86B95FA32E.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
No brakes by the look and I would say over 750kg, so no surprise it jackknifed, bad driving on your part. :giggle: There's no way the under 1 ton Alto is going to push my 9.25ton RV anywhere.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
No brakes by the look and I would say over 750kg, so no surprise it jackknifed, bad driving on your part. :giggle: There's no way the under 1 ton Alto is going to push my 9.25ton RV anywhere.
😁🤪😜. It wasn’t me!
the coupling etc has been removed, brakes are disconnected....

The problem will be when your 9.25 ton RV is pushing the under 1 tonne Alto sideways! 😁

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
😁🤪😜. It wasn’t me!
the coupling etc has been removed, brakes are disconnected....

The problem will be when your 9.25 ton RV is pushing the under 1 tonne Alto sideways! 😁
I know I first commented on the size of your ‘A’ frame but actually, when it came to jackknifing, the biggest issue was usually with the draw tube in the coupling bending. Bearing in mind that’s around 50mm ext diameter and up to 10mm thick wall, that’s a LOT of stress. The problem then was that having sorted the jackknife, the driver carries on his way and first time he braked fairly hard, the draw tube compresses... and jams... locking the brakes on.... I’ve seen that a good few times on caravans And it happened occasionally on my trailer hire fleet.... 🤬

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The blue ox tow bar, with which I travelled near 20k miles and 27states, towing a full size Toyota Tacoma 4wd pickup was a damn site lighter than the Caratow I currently use on P107!. If there have been issues with them they are so few that I don't ever remember reading about it in the US press or online. There must be hundreds of thousands in use stateside by now.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Screenshot_20201005-103429_Photos.jpg

This came on Facebook memories 12 years ago in France, our first motorhome and toad with a car a tow a frame, 🤔 the memories we have is all the germans taking lots of interest in it and how it worked 😉 the engineer coming out of them. 😁 Bob.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
View attachment 430978
This came on Facebook memories 12 years ago in France, our first motorhome and toad with a car a tow a frame, 🤔 the memories we have is all the germans taking lots of interest in it and how it worked 😉 the engineer coming out of them. 😁 Bob.
You're on the wrong side of the road & someone has dumped a genny behind the toad ::bigsmile: .

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
In France with another blown tyre:
DSCN7357-1.jpg

Oct 23, 2022
Funster No
MH
VW T4.
OK... gross weight is the fully possible laden weight with four people in the car plus any luggage
But surely its rediculous to add the estimated weight of four passengers to the gross weight of the towed car, when it is illegal everywhere to tow a vehicle containing passengers.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
As usual, I don't understand your comment. The total weight of a 2CV is 600kg, the A frame will not be more than a 100kg so what is you point on that please?

Please clarify.
But surely its rediculous to add the estimated weight of four passengers to the gross weight of the towed car, when it is illegal everywhere to tow a vehicle containing passengers.
The maximum Gross weight (or Maximum Authorised Mass, if you prefer) is the figure shown on the vehicles VIN plate. The kerb weight or unladen weight is irrelevant as far as braking regulations are concerned.

In any event, as the trailer (TOAD) is equipped with brakes, they have to be operational and, it has to be auto-reversible To comply with trailer regulations.
https://spinner28.wixsite.com/tonys-towing-trivia/post/weights-vin-plates

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back