A Frame Towing a Aixam 500 Diesel (CVT).. advice please! (1 Viewer)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What has she done to deserve one o them, Killed your Rabbit?:D

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I had one, HAD, not for long.
It was like driving a dumper with a cab on.
The bloody thing used to shake like a s....g dog on tick over,
My grandson could run faster, scared me to death in traffic.
Took it away to Holland once, sold it on return.
Actually made a bit o profit on the sale along with a trailer.
So not all was lost, and in a way maybe had a bit of a laugh with it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Ian...doesnt look safe to me though.

But....I've been struggling to find a way to utilise the tipper function on my new twin axle trailer...too heavy to lift without a load, never mind loaded, as the tipper mechanism also lifts the front axle.
Same chassis as the single axle version which would tip aesily.

A heavy duty jockey wheel as in the video looks the way to go.
Bugger !!!!!
After a lot of head scratching that won't work either...Unless I can find a jockey wheel one meter long.

Ginge3685

Free Member
Jun 5, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
K
Hi all,

I want to tow my Aixam 500 Diesel on an A Frame (braking system added for safety) but I am getting conflicting information.

I am sure I have read that at least two MH towers have towed an Aixam over thousands of miles with no problem but I have also heard others saying an Aixam cannot be towed because it has a CVT transmission and although it can be put in "neutral" it is not a "real neutral" because the centrifugal clutch still causes the turning road wheels to turn the transmission and thus the engine too...or is it that the transmission still turns and this could implode after a several miles of towing???

Whatever at least one A Frame manufacturer/fitting company warns against A frame fitting to CVT transmissions ( but is Aixam different to Honda etc???)

Anyway my real question is anyone out there who HAS successfully towed an Aixam CVT vehicle please, please could you tell me of your experiences as this question is driving me bonkers!

Thanks!
I

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
What I understand is......

The gearbox CANNOT drive the engine as the driven centrifugal clutch is on the engine and cannot engage if the engine isn't running.
There is no gearbox in the true sense...basically just an input shaft and output shaft in a box which will be oil splash lubricated....no driven pump as in a true automatic box.

The only thing I can see is belt wear as the belt will constantly turn and rub on the stationary engine clutch pulley.

Tap 'visit page' in the link below to see how it works.

https://goo.gl/images/61RivC
That is true but they normally abysmally slow , the box copes with that but tow it at 70mph and box is rotating at twice the design speed, that and the belt rub will kill it. Tow at 35mph and it would know, BUT???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have had several Aixams. Always trailered them. Forget the gearbox issues put it up on a garage lift and look at the subframe. The tubular front sections resemble the size of a fold up chair. Stick it on an A frame and you would likely rip the front end off. That is if you could find an A frame company iresponsible enough to fit one.
If you've ever seen one burnt out the chassis is made from 12mm box section . Frightening ! :eek:
Should never be allowed to be modified for 'A' frame usage.
A set of sack trucks has better tubing.

Bugger !!!!!
After a lot of head scratching that won't work either...Unless I can find a jockey wheel one meter long.
i've seen one of those for sale here at a car boot. 1.2m if I remember correctly, so you can get them.

That is true but they normally abysmally slow , the box copes with that but tow it at 70mph and box is rotating at twice the design speed, that and the belt rub will kill it. Tow at 35mph and it would know, BUT???
Legally they are allowed to do & have a maximum speed of 50mph (80 kmPh) here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back