A-Frame Recomendations (serious responses please :o) (1 Viewer)

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Hi Funsters

We have been pondering over expanding our use of our MH, we've gone back and forth of our requirements while away and have settled on wanting to tow a small car (namely a little Citroen C2) as we have children and they will be just about able to sit in the back.

I am well aware of the restrictions of A-frames on the continent and for that we will consider hiring a trailer to transport the car abroad. When in the UK we would take advantage of being "able" to use an A-frame.

My question is does anyone have any "valid" recommendations of systems to use. Ive spoken so far with Car-A-Tow and being able to use their DIY kit to install myself (I am capable of doing so), I want to spend my hard earned wisely.

Thanks in advance (I hope this thread doesnt open up a whole can of worms !!)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I currently have an Armitage's tow bar on my SmartCar road. It was not expensive, about £900. It works fine and there is nothing wrong with it. However I find it to be too heavy to carry back and forth to my garage when I am not using it, and I worry about the bungee strap method of ensuring the brakes don't stay on, and don't really like the way the brake cable sticks out of the front when the toad is not being towed. I have decided to change it next month to the electronic braked tow cars 2 tow bars at Grimsby for about twice the price. I am also thinking about a Smart Trailer which costs about the same, but don't really have anywhere to keep a trailer

OP
OP
John&Kate

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
I am also thinking about a Smart Trailer which costs about the same, but don't really have anywhere to keep a trailer

Thats the problem, we thought that hiring a trailer will require no storage and when in the UK use the A-Frame

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi John we use the towmaster system .Its a brilliant A-frame system .Its electronically braked using the cars servo ,making the braking very smooth.The A-frame is only 9kg so is very light .It takes me about 3 min to attach frame to car and attach to motorhome.Its not cheap but excellent quality and you do get what you pay for.
Brian & Jo

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We have been thinking of either trailer or A frame. The bit that concerns us is that the tow car is our only car so will clock up more mileage and if we change cars the cost of transferring the A frame is nearly as much as a new one. The jury is still out, haha.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
We have been thinking of either trailer or A frame. The bit that concerns us is that the tow car is our only car so will clock up more mileage and if we change cars the cost of transferring the A frame is nearly as much as a new one. The jury is still out, haha.

The mileage doesn't clock up on our (Peugeot 107) tow car because the ignition is OFF when being towed.

Dave

OP
OP
John&Kate

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
We are buying a specific "small" holiday car that wont cost a bomb, that way it doesnt really matter how or when it gets used.

OP
OP
John&Kate

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
@Brian and Jo & @Doctor Dave What did your systems cost (if you dont mind me asking) they dont have any prices on their sites so have to wait till Monday to contact them ?

Thanks .. john

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The mileage doesn't clock up on our (Peugeot 107) tow car because the ignition is OFF when being towed.

Dave
I did not mean when towing I was thinking of the normal mileage we do every day for work etc. The modern car seems to be knackered with some sort of electrical problem as it gets older so it's cheaper to px it and get another which is ok if the A frame was not on it.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
@Brian and Jo & @Doctor Dave What did your systems cost (if you dont mind me asking) they dont have any prices on their sites so have to wait till Monday to contact them ?

Thanks .. john

As I needed to get a towbar & ball fitted to my van the cost was approaching £2000 but I think the A-frame was in the region of £1000 - £1200. Had to have the towbar made specifically for my van as none were available "off the peg".

Dave

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Another vote for Smart Tow - a long way from cheapest but very good.

A five minute job to put on and off.

Normally at the NEC on the SWIFT stand.

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
We are at the Lincoln Show - quotes we got £2450 Bristol firm LNB Towbars

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Good idea but the wife uses the SMART every dayĺ
I had a twin axle trailer for a rally car I used to run that I stood on its side when not in use against my garage wall lifted with a winch off a Land Rover because I didn't have a lot of room and it wouldn't fit in the garage loaded.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Just throwing in a curve ball and maybe you've done this already but have you got costs for hiring the trailer as that can be really expensive pro rata

OP
OP
John&Kate

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Just throwing in a curve ball and maybe you've done this already but have you got costs for hiring the trailer as that can be really expensive pro rata

No quotes as yet .. Just trying to get off the ground with additional needs, I have the storage for a trailer if we do purchase.

Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
We used cara tow Pontypool for the Smart. No problems with it, ok its not the lightest, I wanted something robust, after all the cars attached to it, folds up fits in the boot easy to fit. £1200 I think thats what I paid.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
No quotes as yet .. Just trying to get off the ground with additional needs, I have the storage for a trailer if we do purchase.
I'd recommend costing the hire before you buy just so you can weigh up all options, especially if you can store a trailer. We've hired trailers a couple of times but only for odd days and not for cars. We hired for general use and one motorbike trailer but found it so expensive pro rata that we bought one for my sons motorbikes.

OP
OP
John&Kate

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
We used cara tow Pontypool for the Smart. No problems with it, ok its not the lightest, I wanted something robust, after all the cars attached to it, folds up fits in the boot easy to fit. £1200 I think thats what I paid.

Im kinda leaning towards the "Car A Tow" system .. Whats the breaking like as this is electronically bracked as apposed to the other(s) vacum pump assisted ?

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Seeing where you are I would recommend www.unibrake.co.uk/

We had their system fitted to our Smart ForFour and RV several years ago and have never regretted it. Again not the cheapest but we feel worth the money and very unobtrusive on the car when not being towed.

Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
Regarding braking, I know some dont like the bungee around the pedal, but its only used to make absolutely sure the pedal retracts fully.
As for towing its as steady as a rock, good job I have a cam or I would forget its on. The guys at Pontypridd did a exelent job.

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Towbars to towcars Keelby nr. Grimsby. Had ours for over 4 years on Picantos. Expensive but light and easy to use. £500 to set up when changing car. We are on our 3rd. Picanto as we have them on a 3 year deal - early offer to change too good to pass up.
Only use in UK as facilties for motorhomes are fine in Europe.

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Electronic braking fine. Little red light comes on when car is braking. Just love the system and use it all the time.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Towbars to towcars Keelby nr. Grimsby. Had ours for over 4 years on Picantos. Expensive but light and easy to use. £500 to set up when changing car. We are on our 3rd. Picanto as we have them on a 3 year deal - early offer to change too good to pass up.
Only use in UK as facilties for motorhomes are fine in Europe.
Great system, had ours for 2 years.
Chris

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Seeing where you are I would recommend www.unibrake.co.uk/

We had their system fitted to our Smart ForFour and RV several years ago and have never regretted it. Again not the cheapest but we feel worth the money and very unobtrusive on the car when not being towed.
I've got that system and can recommend it. Also researched into Towbars2towcars who are equally good

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I had caratow on a Renault clio I bought the complete car with a frame off eBay for £650 used it for a total of two weeks on the back of the motorhome and decided towing a car wasn't for me, but the a frame was light and easy to attach and detach
Have you considered buying an outfit that's already to go as it may be cheaper and you may like me discover it isn't a it's cracked up to be.
Often the places you use the car to go to you'd get to with the motorhome if you weren't towing the car, and it's a bugger when you take a wrong turn and can't reverse
I always see cheap tow cars on eBay

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back