A frame ...not happy at all

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by cookie, May 17, 2018 at 11:11 AM.

1. cookie

cookie Funster

Ratings:
    +375
    Had an a frame fitted last year and not happy at all.
    Noticed on way up here car seemed jerky on braking.

Away on hols near skipton come to hitch up car and brake cable seems really tight.
    Had a look and it's resting on the drive shaft and obviously been wearing away.it's now flattish on the underneath
    15265512473471775333537.jpg
    looks like they've suspended it on cable ties and ones given way but cable ties are attached to the car brake pipes 15265512473471775333537.jpg
    Rang them up and really not being helpful.my immediate thought it possibly being unsafe is that they'd send a fitter straight out to make it safe. Its only 80 miles away.Wouldn't have thought brake pipes should be used to support anything.
    Awaiting a call back from them to see what they are going to do

What would you do now?

Attached Files:

2. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +576
    Give them a chance to fix it and if not name them, to be honest i think i would want the whole lot checked given what they have done anyway but thats just me.

3. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +6,885
    Ask myself why I didn't check their workmanship sooner?

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. Kevan

Kevan Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,743
    Name them? Shoddy workmanship, warn others,(y)

5. cookie

cookie Funster

Ratings:
    +375
    Oh ifs there's any problem getting them to make it safe their name will be posted everywhere.

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. Rally man

Rally man Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    I think you are looking at P.A.S. pipes.
    But agree not a very good job, ask for the cable to be replaced.

7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Ratings:
    +36,125
    I think a firm that fitted it like that is extremely unlikely to think they should jump in a van a drive out to 80 miles fix it

You had best get it looked at locally, or if it will wait till back then get the original fitters to look and sort

8. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Ratings:
    +23,048
    Appears that when fitted a cable tie was attached to lift the brake cable to prevent rubbing. Possibly difficult to re route to avoid which might cause an unnecessary bend so another cable tie to lift it clear would probably solve the problem.

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. SuperMike

SuperMike Funster

Ratings:
    +4,585
    That looks like quality work to me. :gum:

A definite don’t care attitude. I know it is a completely different thing but during my apprenticeship, misuse of a tool would cost the apprentice one days pay. The classic one was a file, which only cuts one way, so it’s forward, lift, back, down, forward, lift, back down. It’s called standards and pride in what you do. That was 55 years ago, but the same standards should apply today. Sadly they are not and one reason why this country is in such a sh*t hole.:emo:

• Nice One! Nice One! x 5
    • Like it Like it x 2
  10. cookie

cookie Funster

Ratings:
    +375
    On looking yes it's PAS PIPES .but still not satisfactory place to anchor anything .

when brakes are used cable straightens and flexes PAS pipes .

£1200 for a bodge job I don't think so

Mechanic on farm here says it looks like a child has fitted it.

Latest.......when explained I'd either drive it or run it into local garage all at their expense they've agreed to send a "lad" out tomorrow with a couple of cables.

When it's fixed then I will name and shame .

When a company doesn't care about safety others need to be warned.

11. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +3,489
    There is no drive shaft in the picture and the brake cable appears to be cable tied to the aircon pipes (or maybe PAS) but pas is not normally ally (but things change) The item that it seems to be rubbing on is a anti roll bar . Ideally they should have put a metal bracket secured on the anti roll bar mounting , but cable ties are used frequently and are sufficient for most purposes , a second as a safety would have been an idea . The bowden cable probably needs replacing , but there is nothing happening there that is life threatening , no brake pipes in pic . HTSH
    ps you are probably getting worried due to a lack of knowledge , that makes you think the situation is far worse than it is. :)

• Like it Like it x 1
  12. cookie

cookie Funster

Ratings:
    +375
    Another view. . Deffo drive shaft

15265657633291284213607.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  13. cookie

cookie Funster

Ratings:
    +375
    I think I know what a drive shaft looks like
    And whether something is safe or not.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  14. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Ratings:
    +23,048
    To be fair , I don’t think your first photos showed a drive shaft but the last one it’s obvious , but again I would if possible use a cable tie even if only as a temporary measure.

• Like it Like it x 1
  15. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +24,631
    The Bowden cable should have been secured with proper metal clips to something solid like a bit of the metal bodywork. No way cable ties should ever have been used.

Sadly, this example reinforces why A Frames are highly questionable because companies are doing things completely unregulated without following the sort of standards the vehicle manufacturers have to follow.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 4
    • Like it Like it x 3
  16. cookie

cookie Funster

Ratings:
    +375
    You might use anything as temporary but I certainly wouldn't do a bodge on brakes
    The outer casing has worn away both the rubber outer and the metal. and the inner cable is sticking as it passes through the damaged section it's probably partly cut through this as well.
    I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to do anything temporary especially on a safety feature.

17. cookie

cookie Funster

Ratings:
    +375
    Agree. But surely they still have a responsibility to make everything is safe to use.

18. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +24,631
    Absolutely, it should be safe and should never have left their workshop like that - assuming it did of course and hasn't been altered subsequently.*. My broader point is do these companies operate under any sort of code of practice? I suspect not but this means they are fiddling with braking systems without following any standards.

*My lawyer has advised me to add that bit. :)

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  19. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Ratings:
    +23,048
    If this is the overrun cable then just don’t use the a frame, provided the cable is temporarily kept clear of the drive shaft then the car should be safe to use until the cable is replaced.

20. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +3,489
    I was going by the pics you posted , not being telepathic I was unable to ascertain that the contact between a drive shaft and a bowden cable was occurring as you stated. My subsequent remarks were all based on what you posted . There was nothing in the pics that was life threatening . The danger level in the final pic is a matter of judgement , same as using an A frame in the first place, as some would say .

• Like it Like it x 4