Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
After much thought we have decided that we are not going to use an A frame or a car trailer when we start travelling later this year. We will be a two vehicle convoy instead.

The disadvantages to this are the added fuel costs and that for our A to B travel we will need two drivers.

The advantages are;
We can have a large second vehicle that will cope with the six of us,
We will still be able to tow our custom dog kennel with us, towed either behind the RV or the Landrover. We will be able to fit our canoes on the full length roof rack on the Lanny. We will also have the advantage of having a scout vehicle up front when we are off the beaten track. Suitable communications between the vehicles would be essential. Does anyone else travel this way?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Without doubt has to be the best way:thumb:

In my case sadly I am the only driver and I could not afford the extra fuel although I do believe that towing a toad impact on my RVs MPG.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Without doubt has to be the best way:thumb:

In my case sadly I am the only driver and I could not afford the extra fuel although I do believe that towing a toad impact on my RVs MPG.

I don't think that a toad adds too much sat back there in your slipstream, it must add some though when you are climbing etc, yes there will be an extra fuel cost, but the added benefit will be considerable. Sian is doing her C licence as well so we will be able to swop vehicles.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I can see lots of benefits Jim, as you say only downside is added fuel costs.
Being able to scout ahead and check out sites etc will take away a lot of the stress and uncertainty when touring..

A couple of CB radios would be ideal for keeping in touch..

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

Personally I would not want to travel that way. For me the fun of traveling is traveling together. Its not easy though. Just get one of those RVs you can drive the car into.

stew

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi

For me the fun of traveling is traveling together.

stew

Yes that is a downside Stew, but if you have ever travelled in convoy you'll know that can be fun as well. And its not that you are travelling completely separately, or that you are travelling all of the time, we do not intend doing many miles in the RV and our plan is to plot up for long stays of 1 to 3 months, so the seperate miles will only be from "base to base"

Its not ideal, but well worth the compromise I think/hope

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim on the two occasions that Susan has followed me in the RV, she has slowly disappeared into the distance BEHIND me. :Doh: and thats with me only doing 60

It drove me nuts, I finished up going round a roundabout 3 times waiting for her to catch up. Its not that she's a slow driver, she just lets cars get in front of her, then a few more, and before you know it she's disappeared over the horizon. :Doh:

Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim on the two occasions that Susan has followed me in the RV, she has slowly disappeared into the distance BEHIND me. :Doh: and thats with me only doing 60

Easy solution,, let her go in front .. then she can be blamed for getting YOU lost .. :thumb:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I do not like travelling in convoy, I find it hard enough to concentrate on my own driving without looking out for someone else. We did it in France in 04 and it was not fun but everyone has their own preference and presonaly we could not afford it now. The last time we did it in this country last year, we were charged extra on the campsite for having two vehicles.

Ralph

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I do not like travelling in convoy, I find it hard enough to concentrate on my own driving without looking out for someone else. We did it in France in 04 and it was not fun but everyone has their own preference and presonaly we could not afford it now. The last time we did it in this country last year, we were charged extra on the campsite for having two vehicles.

Ralph

I figure that many sites will charge extra whether you tow it in or drive it. That said I was pleasantly surprised at Las Dunas last year, a site that is adept at squeezing every cent from your wallet, when I hired a car there was no extra charge, because I was now a Car and a caravan just like the majority on site. I was on two pitches paying for one as well:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Husband a wife driving together and a bit switch on like Sian is sure she and Jim would have no bother.

Can be difficult for some thinking back to my motor trading days though when trying to get to and from an auction on time and a slow one in the pack:Doh:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi...last year we spent 7 weeks in France the first week i drove my bongo with the rooftop tent to twin lakes north of Bordeaux left car there then flew back to pick up the rv and kids after last day of term ,then back to twin lakes for another 2 weeks. some more of family flew out and we all trundled back slowly taking in la Rochelle Royan Brittany Normandy and Belgium.expensive way to go i know but it enabled 10 people to holiday plus i had a driver to bring car home plus how else could sue spend a fortune in the intermarche and the champion and the super u
so yes one needs two vehicles
dave:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back