LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2014
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Pilote
I have ordered a Toyota Aygo for delivery in January and I need to fit an A Frame on it.
There seems to be a bit of a minefield out there for what types there are and what they cost.
To save me having to contact all the manufacturers etc, could members post whose A frame they bought, the cost & to what car it was fitted to and were they happy with A Frame & service etc?
This can then be shared with us all on here.
Thanks for your replies

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
giphy.gif

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have ordered a Toyota Aygo for delivery in January and I need to fit an A Frame on it.
There seems to be a bit of a minefield out there for what types there are and what they cost.
To save me having to contact all the manufacturers etc, could members post whose A frame they bought, the cost & to what car it was fitted to and were they happy with A Frame & service etc?
This can then be shared with us all on here.
Thanks for your replies
We towed a Ford Ka on a TowTal frame for many years but found the frame too heavy.

We have also towed a Toyota Aygo on a Towbars2Towcars frame with electronic braking which we have now changed for a Peugeot 108 on a similar frame.

Have been very pleased with the T2T frame and have found their service to be excellent.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
I towed an Aygo and used Armitage's at Ferrybridge. Changed motorhome and car and find I don't need to tow anymore. (Bought an electric bike).
Now have an A frame for sale.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Another vote for Towbars2Towcars. They converted a couple of cars for us over the years. They have done a few Abarths and a Mercedes SLK. They offer a lightweight A Frame with electronic braking system. They deliver a first class job followed with first class customer care. Nothing is a problem for them and do all they can to keep customers happy.

Cost I think is in the region of 1800GBP depending on the car obviously. I won't mention the cost of converting the Mercedes SLK with Cambus wiring loom :whistle::whistle::D and the challenges that caused. However, shows the level of professionalism when they worked solutions and had my car on the road and towable...excellent service.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We towed a Ford Ka on a TowTal frame for many years but found the frame too heavy.

We have also towed a Toyota Aygo on a Towbars2Towcars frame with electronic braking which we have now changed for a Peugeot 108 on a similar frame.

Have been very pleased with the T2T frame and have found their service to be excellent.

I bought my Fiat 500 from T2T complete with A frame. Excellent service from them. I also bought a “leather jacket” cover for the front end of the car to protect it. This was a bit expensive at £200 but does a greaAs the car came with the A frame I cannot advise fitting cost, but they charged me nothing to check the Moho electrics, add a warning light and check the mechanics of the tow bar already on the Moho. It’s a great A frame, light and easy to use

I towed an Aygo and used Armitage's at Ferrybridge. Changed motorhome and car and find I don't need to tow anymore. (Bought an electric bike).
Now have an A frame for sale.
I used Armitage’s to fit an A frame to a Smart for 2. It was a bit heave to lift but came with a jockey wheel making it easier to “ aim” at the towball. It cost approx “£900 fitted including extra security tow ball hitch

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Been looking at smart tow and LNB but not made my mind up yet.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I bought my Fiat 500 from T2T complete with A frame. Excellent service from them. I also bought a “leather jacket” cover for the front end of the car to protect it. This was a bit expensive at £200 but does a greaAs the car came with the A frame I cannot advise fitting cost, but they charged me nothing to check the Moho electrics, add a warning light and check the mechanics of the tow bar already on the Moho. It’s a great A frame, light and easy to use

I used Armitage’s to fit an A frame to a Smart for 2. It was a bit heave to lift but came with a jockey wheel making it easier to “ aim” at the towball. It cost approx “£900 fitted including extra security tow ball hitch
Just remembered I did get a quote from T2T to fit an A frame before I bought the Fiat. It was about £1900 from memory.

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
We have an LNB A frame on our Smart. We have had Towtal and Chris Cox on previous cars and rate LNB as the best. It's not cheap at over £2000 but is the best in my opinion. The vehicle crumple zone is still the original cross bar jus reinforced where the 'towing' bolts attach to the car. There is a warning light on the dash of the towing vehicle to tell you when the brakes are operating and a warning alarm to tell you if the brakes have been on for over 30 seconds. The A frame is well made. The service from LNB is excellent and we were asked to return after 12 months to have he vehicle inspected, this meant a complete strip down and inspection just to make sure everything was ok. We have towed the Smart to Spain and back last winter, all around UK including a 1500 mile frip to Scotalnd and now back to Spain.
You get what you pay for and the LNB is the tops for us.
::

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Towbar2Towcars for us for the last 4+ years. Same A frame on 3 Kia Picantos and 2 motor homes.
My wife and I have it down to a quick art to hitch. Expensive at £500 + vat to change car so will keep this Picanto after its pcp term.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Towbar2Towcars for us for the last 4+ years. Same A frame on 3 Kia Picantos and 2 motor homes.
My wife and I have it down to a quick art to hitch. Expensive at £500 + vat to change car so will keep this Picanto after its pcp term.
How do you line the A frame hitch up to the tow ball @donnkim ? Back van up to car or drive car up to van or “manhandle” the car?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I’D LIKE TO HAVE A TOWED TO TAKE TO SPAIN. They all seem to be on trailers here now, perhaps the word got out.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Need a bit more information really.

Are you taking it to Spain?

OP
OP
S

supermrp

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2014
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Pilote
Only interested in Touring UK. Car will also be a daily commute. I am in the North West, so an installer closer would be a bonus.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
WE rarely tow a car. We have a Caratow from many years back, this is the third car its been on. Its rather heavy though but the newer ones are much lighter.

OP
OP
S

supermrp

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2014
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Pilote
I have a Car a Tow one now on my Smart Car.
Reallyretired
I have asked them how much to swap it over. Did you use them to swap it over? Were their costs reasonable?
Thanks

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I make and fit my own BUT if I didn't I believe I would buy a vehicle with a system already fitted and very often the cheapest option
Selfish I know but let some else take the hit for a new one:rolleyes:
Buying second hand but make sure it comes with the vehicle adaption parts
Circa £400 to £500,
If you just buy just the A frame circa £150 to £300 you will still save by having an adapter plate made (Costs vary)

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Hi Mr Chrysalis,
We now find it so easy.
Kim drives the car towards the towball while I hold up the A frame. She is aiming as near as possible. When she is about 10" away I signal her to stop. I then indicate the small direction she needs to take as she slowly apoaches the towball. Finally with my fingers I give let her know how far she has to go and any adjustment necessary.
We get it right 90% of the time.

OP
OP
S

supermrp

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2014
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Pilote
Thanks for your answers/opinions etc.

I have today spoken to go with Car a tow and am going to go with their system.

Reason being they are the original company doing this
The eye bolts only go through the grille, not the bumper like some others.
The black caps to cover the grille are provided.
To changeover to a similar vehicle will be £250.

Fitting Agent is in Warrington so close for me.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Rather than A-frame, have you considered getting a trailer? You will be able to reverse more easily and travel further afield (without restriction). There will also be no additional conversion costs when you change (or write-off) the car.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Mr Chrysalis,
We now find it so easy.
Kim drives the car towards the towball while I hold up the A frame. She is aiming as near as possible. When she is about 10" away I signal her to stop. I then indicate the small direction she needs to take as she slowly apoaches the towball. Finally with my fingers I give let her know how far she has to go and any adjustment necessary.

Same here.(y)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I had a caratow but found it very heavy and awkward. Replaced it last year with a stainless steel one from towingaframes which is half the weight. The old one is taking up space in my garage so I should think about selling it but have difficulty describing it in glowing terms when I didn’t get on with it.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Hi Mr Chrysalis,
We now find it so easy.

Thanks @donnkim . This way of lining up works for me:
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/lining-up-a-frame-to-tow-ball.165435/

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
editedbelow

Last edited:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Helps considerably if you leave the car handbrake off (where possible :)).
Yes, unless you are on a slope! I’ve also found that turning the car steering wheel when toad is stationary gives you about 2 inches of lateral movement to finalise line-up

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back