Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Autoroller has made a brilliant contribution with the thread on A-Frame and braking and I didn't want to hijack it.

Roughly what price does a car-a-tow braked system (or similar) system cost in the UK? Before leaving Canada, should I purchase a Brake Buddy Classic ($1150) or Vantage ($1500) with a Blue-ox a-frame tow bar ($750) ie total around $1900 - 2250 (£1150-1350) or would I be better off with a fitted car-a-tow or similar system purchased in the UK?

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi goose,

the Blue Ox A frames seem popular with the RV drivers over here but the majority of european van A framers use the uk versions....caratow etc.

all the uk versions use the over-run cable brake systems which, by design, present problems....ie: reversing.

if you were going to bring a brake-buddy anyway then it would be a better option to an over-run system.

i think the uk ones come in two towing weights...1000kg and around 1600kg depending on the weight of the toad you intend pulling.
this is only the hitch limit....the frame itself should take a lot more weight.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Goose

just had fitted this week Car A Tow A frame to Peugeot 107 toad , cost of A frame for DIY fitting £784 incl delivery. I had a local garage do the fit which cost me £323.
If you have it supplied and fitted by one of car a tow agents its about £ 50 less .
Check out their website www.caratow.com

Larry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
I have a braked Car-a-Tow system and it is HEAVY - something to bear in mind if shipping from Canada. You may also have to pay duty on it if importing from Canada. ( we got caught out with customs duty when importing a lappy screen from USA)

Ours cost just under 1000 UK Pounds in December last and this included fitting to our new Matiz.
If you buy one in Canada you still have to fit it to your your Toad here unless of course you are bringing the car plus frame from Canada.
There is still some doubt here as to whether the Brake Buddy system is legal - Dont shoot the messenger. UK regulations were framed before Brake Buddy systems were available here so the regulations ignore their existence.
Let us all know of your plans as time draws near for your trip.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
forgot to mention.....the cost of a caratow is around £750 plus fitting.

heres a link to Link Removed

enter a car and model and it'll give you the price.

OP
OP
Goose

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the replies Gents. Import duties are not a problem (...or is unlikely to be a problem) since we're bring a 40 ft container with ALL our household belongings across...so it would be in amongst all that and declared as having been owned for 6 months ie import duty-free.

Because some things are simply so much cheaper in "the land of the free" we're trying to figure out what would be best buying here, before moving, and what would be best buying in the UK.

It seems from the responses that, cost-wise, a car-a-tow system will cost less (overall) fitted, but the brake-buddy combined with a blue-ox towing a-frame might have some benefit over the car-a-tow's "over-run" functionality. I'll have to research whether this would be the case. Many thanks.:thumb:

Subsequent edit: I've just done some research and stumbled across this article which very nicely articulates the issues surrounding towing:

Link Removed

I've no doubt that a number of you old-timers and experienced motorhomers/rvers will be rolling their eyes at yet more discussion on the a-frame topic, but I'm sure there are others out there who , just like me, simply don't get it (unfortunately, try as I might, there are so many things I just don't get...d'oh).

Perhaps the above article should be read together with Autorollers excellent contribution in this thread:

Link Removed

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the over-run system does work quite well if its set up correctly.

a little too much slack in the cable and the brakes dont fully apply....a little tight and they are binding all the time.

trial and error setting it up whereas the 'buddy' is just there.....works all the time, every time.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
One deciding factor may be your choice of Toad
Blue Ox is a far superior unit to any made in the UK.and mounting kits are available of the shelf
Unfortunately blue ox have a limited range of kits available and seem only to make mounting kits for the American/Canadian vehicles, with the odd Jap model here and there.
The Blue OX A frame connecting method compared to the UK "Frankenstein" method is also much nicer

If its A European Toad you have in mind the lack of a kit may be a problem

The UK A frames are far heavier Bigger and can not be left attached to the RV like the Blue Ox, so take up either RV locker or luggage space in the Toad.
Mounting kits for Euro cars are made to order so any Euro car you choose an almost custom kit will be made
The Brake buddy Classic I use is great as it will swap vehicle to vehicle without having to re install The benefit of the Vantage as I understand it is the brake effort for the toad can be adjusted from the RV
Geo

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
The Brake buddy Classic I use is great as it will swap vehicle to vehicle without having to re install The benefit of the Vantage as I understand it is the brake effort for the toad can be adjusted from the RV
Geo

I use a Blue Ox to tow my Volvo V70 estate behind my diesel pusher - in conjunction with the Brake Buddy Vantage - and I absolutely swear by it.

I have a control box for the Buddy on the dashboard which tells me what is happening 'Brake' wise and which I can adjust on the move.

The only difference that I have made is that I feed a live 12 volt supply to the Buddy from the RV rather than from the cigar lighter in the car. I want to know that if I have to stop and remove the car in a hurry, that it has enough battery to start immediately!

Last edited:

Autoroller

Free Member
Mar 10, 2008
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
6 years
Subsequent edit: I've just done some research and stumbled across this article which very nicely articulates the issues surrounding towing:

Link Removed

Getting an unbiased view from the NTTA is like getting turkeys to vote for christmas, after all they represent sellers of trailers!

The fitting of auto-reverse brakes are NOT called for in the EEC directive, they are simply the means by how "reversing without manual intervention" is achieved in caravans and other trailers.

A-framers do need to take more of a responsibility and "technical" input into thier adjustment, fittment, and setup of thier particular combination each and every time they take to the road, over and above standard towers but that does not make them illegal or unfit to tackle most situations, including reversing.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Getting an unbiased view from the NTTA is like getting turkeys to vote for christmas, after all they represent sellers of trailers!

The fitting of auto-reverse brakes are NOT called for in the EEC directive, they are simply the means by how "reversing without manual intervention" is achieved in caravans and other trailers.

You are misinformed. The NTTA do NOT represent sellers of trailers. They represent manufacturers and suppliers, including ‘A’ frame manufacturers, as well as other interested parties. You will struggle to find a pure ‘reseller’ in their membership.

What is "reversing without manual intervention" If not auto-reversing? 🤔

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Surely the issue with reversing a vehicle connected by an A frame is how it is steered in reverse? There are means available to ensure the brakes aren't applied when reversing but the steering issue is, at present, impossible to overcome. A three point turn is a manoeuvre that is regularly required and cannot be undertaken when towing a vehicle on an A frame.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back