A few dumb newbie questions..... (1 Viewer)

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Despite me owning a motorhome previously, I don't know (or have more likely forgotten) the answers to a few things, obvious to you experienced guys, hoping you can help :

These questions apply to the current range of Elddis Accordo vans

1, Is there a separate leisure battery ? (two batteries total)

2, Is the vehicle's (engine starting) battery charge maintained when the vehicle is hooked up at home ?

3, It's likely we'll use our vehicle a fair amount when not connected to an electric hook-up, I notice there are some affordable 12v tv's, are there any disadvantages to these, or they're as good as a conventional 240v ?

4, For anyone who has a recent Elddis 'special' which includes the solar panel, is this useful, does it work well ?

any replies would be most appreciated !

Many Thanks

Paul

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
1 yes engine battery and a 100ah yuasa leisure battery.

2 No, not on hook up, although the newer vans with solar could maintain the starter battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
FF002976-286C-4DC6-9C23-64AC534EF89D.jpeg
I don’t have an Eldiss but it would be most unusual for your MH NOT to have a seperate habitation battery to the cab battery. Normally these are both kept topped up by EHU when available.
I would say solar panel a very good addition. Keeps both batteries topped up when EHU not available.
12v TV also useful especially those with built in DVD for times when have long dark evenings or just a rainy day. We buy DVD films from EBay and save them up.
Edit: we like to stay off site often so need 12 v TV.

Upvote 0

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Yes
Separate leisure battery
Two in total one for the engine and one for the hab side
12 v tvs if you are on hook up all the time get a normal one 240
If you do go off grid then a 240 v TV won't work and you'll need a 12v one
Engine battery won't be charged if on hook up unless you add a battery master
The added solar panel works well if your off grid but if your on hook up then it will just keep the hab battery topped up when the mh is stored handy if you have the winter pack with the tank heaters
Hope this answers your questions

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Great replies, thanks very much, I now understand that there's a separate leisure battery, and that the cab's battery isn't charged via the EHU.... I guess I can add a lead for charging of that cab battery, I wonder, is the cab battery somewhere in the cab rather than under the bonnet ? I know a lot are these days ?

good news on the solar charger, glad to know they work, rather random that the solar charger can charge both batteries whereas the EHU only looks after the leisure battery

thank you so much for your replies, I'm a step closer with my understanding :)

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Vehicle battery is usually under the cab floor, on the passenger side assuming RHD.
If you are going off grid for any length of time a decent amount of solar on the roof is a must, unless you intend to move on every day or so.
Try and get around 200 watts of solar if possible.
Don't know how Elddis are wired but I suspect that the vehicle battery won't be charged when on EHU and may not be when using solar. Check with the dealer to make sure. There is a handy gadget, already mentioned, called Battery Master, that will detect when the habitation battery is charged then divert a small charge to the vehicle battery to keep it topped up.

Enjoy your new van.

Richard.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
thanks Richard, perhaps this "battery master" can be dealer fitted to a new van ? sounds like a good idea in the long run

noted re 200 watts, many thanks.

a couple of things have to fall into place before I can get the van ordered, hoping those things happen so I can make some use of the summer :)

Upvote 0

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
thanks Richard, perhaps this "battery master" can be dealer fitted to a new van ? sounds like a good idea in the long run

noted re 200 watts, many thanks.

a couple of things have to fall into place before I can get the van ordered, hoping those things happen so I can make some use of the summer :)
Battery master can be dealer fitted
You said dealer special
Is this majestic by marquis

Upvote 0

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
I wouldn’t worry about the cab battery, you would need to be stood for a very long time for it to go flat (weeks)

You should be able to get the full spec on line if it’s a dealer special.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
The standard solar panels are 100w output, I would seem to suggest that for my relatively low usage, it might be enough, we’d rarely be in one spot for more than 2 days, and don’t intend to spend hours glued to the TV ;)

Upvote 0

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Just to let you know but you might already be aware
The elddis range of specials only come with a single hab battery cupboard there's no provision for a second hab battery
We have the majestic 155 2016

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Ours is the 105 Prestige by Vehicles 4 Leisure. Great people to deal with, only drawback is they're miles away in North Wales.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ours stood 4 weeks in Benidorm when it was new no problem (I had to move the van half way through due to flooding but it wasn't running for long). I stopped setting the alarm though.
Within my 4 weeks max.:) but would it have lasted that long if the temerature had been below zero. Also depends on the load on the battery, alarm, tracker, stereo etc.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Within my 4 weeks max.:) but would it have lasted that long if the temerature had been below zero. Also depends on the load on the battery, alarm, tracker, stereo etc.
Who knows, it was going on 4 years ago when I was carefree... Twas before i learnt the paranoid battery charge level behaviour on here :LOL: now I have meters on everything, I know how much current is going everywhere, and exactly how much is left, in percentage, bargraph and time displays. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
what a great forum this is, informative, and amusing at the same time

I'm guessing there are some organised events that bring you guys together ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
thanks for the info, I'll keep my eye open when I've got the van sorted

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
The solar panel and battrry master are to me as important as an alarm ... they give me peace of mind when parked up...

Before the battery master, my engine battery went flat as my alarm had taken the charge out of it .. now, my solar charges the leisure ( or hook up charges the leisure) and any excess charge goes to my engine battery .. I can relax.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Movan, is your solar panel 100w ? and your leisure battery in the region of 110ah ? was the Battery Master a neat and tidy fit ?

Thanks

I know what you mean about peace of mind, it seems these days, that the electronics on cars do seem to drain the battery. I did until recently have two cars and 3 motorbikes, I've downsized on the bike collection, but for the motorhome, the Battery Master and Solar Panel are a great idea, for a vehicle that's not used every day, it'll help keep that Cab battery topped up, and also mean that when we're away using the van, we might just get that extra day our of the leisure battery

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Battery master is a doddle.
Only three wires, one to each batteries positive terminal and the third is an earth, common to both batteries
Job done.
There is another similar gadget which does the opposite.
It charges the leisure battery direct from the alternator by fooling the alternator into thinking the starter battery is flat so it churns out full charge amps to the leisure battery.
Bit more complicated to wire though.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Movan, is your solar panel 100w ? and your leisure battery in the region of 110ah ? was the Battery Master a neat and tidy fit ?

Thanks

I know what you mean about peace of mind, it seems these days, that the electronics on cars do seem to drain the battery. I did until recently have two cars and 3 motorbikes, I've downsized on the bike collection, but for the motorhome, the Battery Master and Solar Panel are a great idea, for a vehicle that's not used every day, it'll help keep that Cab battery topped up, and also mean that when we're away using the van, we might just get that extra day our of the leisure battery

Apparently very easy to fit .. I had to pay someone about £50 total because I am useless. Also when I could save up I bought a second leisure battery as I had plenty of space ... never looked back.

I suspect you can fit battery master yourself. Let us all know how you go on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
I've got more newbie questions if I may :
correct me on any of the following please :

In storing a motorhome in my driveway for a period of weeks, would I open the cupboard doors to allow air to circulate better, leave the EHU connected and add an electric bar heater in winter, and or a small electric dehumidifier or 'damp catcher' container ?

would you vent any windows when storing, or leave it all closed up assuming you're looking after the humidity in some way ?

do I start my fridge on electric overnight before I leave the following morning for holiday ? switching the fridge to 12v when the vehicle engine is running, and onto gas when parked without EHU ?

Is water from the fresh water tank ok to use for a few days, assuming you don't drink it without boiling. Is there usually a drain on the fresh water without it having to travel through to the waste water tank ?

(thinking back many years now)... once my toilet is primed with toilet fluid, and I think you add a small amount of water too ? can this be left unused for a period of a time, eg a few days.

Many Thanks

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Hi Paul welcome to fun. We've spent two years as members, knew less than nothing about motorhomes when we joined. Every one on here have been so helpful and friendly. We've looked at many MHs. Made our minds up what we were looking for 3 times, changed our mind 3 times, with the help of this forum, then finally .......... 4 weeks ago went up to Chester http://vehicles4leisure.co.uk/ and bought a new Elddis Accordo 105 Prestige from Vehicles 4 Leisure. Got so many extras with it, too many to list. Well worth a look. Got a large bathroom with a separate shower and a solar panel. It's 6 metres long which may be another consideration for you. We don't get our van til June....... can't wait!(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
wee Bold Davy..... they take 4 months to order ? is there a reason why it's that long ? I didn't realise that

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back