A DIY Satnav (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
After following this interesting thread I have been having a play with Google Maps.
While it calculates a route very quickly I can’t see a way of altering the route to a preferred road.
On CoPilot you can touch a spot on the map and it will give you the option of ‘Route this way’ but I can’t find anything similar on Google.
There must be a very simple way, just that I haven’t found it yet.
Any ideas?

Richard
Haven't found that but if you click on the top corner when you have put your place in you can add a stop that will route you there

Reactions: DBK
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I feel bad about taking over this thread but something else I have just found on while playing if you click on destination and click on by map you can go to the map and move it about ,drop a pin where you want to go and it will route then go back add a stop and you can do it again, not explaining it very well but try it and will be amazed what it will do.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is one I have just done at random

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190730-142826.png
    Screenshot_20190730-142826.png
    286.7 KB · Views: 26
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
After following this interesting thread I have been having a play with Google Maps.
While it calculates a route very quickly I can’t see a way of altering the route to a preferred road.
On CoPilot you can touch a spot on the map and it will give you the option of ‘Route this way’ but I can’t find anything similar on Google.
Any ideas?

Richard
I dont think there is a preferred road as such just a choice between using/not using toll roads etc? So it's not very customisable. But usually it offers various alternative routes depending on traffic intelligence. I find google traffic very good, night & day between my Garmin which is often out of date.
But if in the van I check very closely where google is taking me, not so in the car, it's taken me to through some hilarious and really nice short cuts. Without Google I would have never kown about the little town with all the St.Georges cross flags out in gardens. :RollEyes:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Any ideas?

Richard

Google maps doesn’t have that feature Richard, but you can make it do something similar.

Once you’ve entered a route
Click ‘add stop’ from the drop down menu top right of screen
Click on the road or place you want to go via
You need to put the way point in the correct order simply by dragging it up or down the list

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Google maps doesn’t have that feature Richard, but you can make it do something similar.

Once you’ve entered a route
Click ‘add stop’ from the drop down menu top right of screen
Click on the road or place you want to go via
You need to put the way point in the correct order simply by dragging it up or down the list
By Jove!
It works.
Thanks Robert

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If we’re on a long clear stretch away from big towns and cities we turn 3G/4g off as it saves the data and the route carries on running provided you don’t take any detours. We just flick it on again when approaching a big town in case there are any accidents and it wants to advise us of any detours. We only do it on long journeys as I find the iPhone is apt to get a bit hot.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I feel bad about taking over this thread but something else I have just found on while playing if you click on destination and click on by map you can go to the map and move it about ,drop a pin where you want to go and it will route then go back add a stop and you can do it again, not explaining it very well but try it and will be amazed what it will do.
Don't worry about that. :) In my OP I highlighted a cheap tablet which you can use as dedicated satnav providing you can give it internet access through wifi. The only issue then is which is the best software to run and it looks like Google Maps is winning at the moment. Some very useful tips coming out too. I'm a complete beginner with it. :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't worry about that. :) In my OP I highlighted a cheap tablet which you can use as dedicated satnav providing you can give it internet access through wifi. The only issue then is which is the best software to run and it looks like Google Maps is winning at the moment. Some very useful tips coming out too. I'm a complete beginner with it. :)
Years ago when I drove a van for an electrical wholesalers I used to get satnavs to try out , they were all ok for getting you there but some things they did put you off relying too much on them and always checked them against the A to Z maps, but since Google started I never bothered with satnavs again, although I downloaded "here" maps and found it very good when Google loses signal , which is not very often now.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I use a Garmin Camper sat nav plus CoPilot running on my iPad.
I find having the two running together, while a bit OTT most of the time, is useful if one of them, usually Garmin, has a ‘touch of the vapours’ at just the time you enter a busy town or junction.
After having a little play with Google Maps this afternoon I will be testing that out on our next trip.
Many thanks to those who have recommended it.
This has proved to be a very useful thread. (y) (y)

Richard

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I’ve downloaded Sygic car also truck , car is in basic mode , it costs £10 for life navigation & £15 for nav with traffic , looks ok has anybody tried it ? , I had already bought a avtex tourer one plus although I haven’t used it
Yet

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I’ve downloaded Sygic car also truck , car is in basic mode , it costs £10 for life navigation & £15 for nav with traffic , looks ok has anybody tried it ? , I had already bought a avtex tourer one plus although I haven’t used it
Yet
What I always do when trying a satnav app is put something like rome and see if it can do it as Google can do it in about 5 seconds.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Yes I run Sygic. Yes it may be slower to process the route than google, but it has my size, weight limit, and preferences to adjust to.
Tried others, but I will be sticking with Sygic.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Been running Co Pilot on a 7" tablet for some years. For a while now ive been running Google maps alongside it Google like to take a dodgy shortcut from time to time.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
My Garmin has not been out of the box since I discovered tom Tom's free android speed limit & camera app, which works very well with Google maps and makes for a comprehensive set up. I have a 3 contract so data not a problem in Europe.

View attachment 320910
Screen shot of Tom tom and Google :love:

SmartSelect_20190801-111749_Maps.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back