DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Towards the end of our recent trip to Corsica my Garmin Satnav expired. It simply would not start up even though it was fully charged. So we finished the trip using Copilot on my mobile phone, which did the job but the screen was a tad on the tiny side for my liking. :) I had first tried Copilot about three years ago on a 10" tablet but the tablet was just too big and with the large holder needed this wasn't really a practical option. I also found the battery would run down over time as my USB charger couldn't keep it charged sufficiently. The constantly on large screen drew a lot of power.

So returning home with a dead Garmin and after looking at the prices of a replacement :( I looked again at running Copilot on a tablet. In the intervening three years the price of tablets has really come down and you can now get a 7" tablet for £50.

Amazon product ASIN B07Q2TQXCD

So I ordered one of these, installed Copilot and.....it wouldn't work! It kept telling me the location services were not working or it had insufficient privileges. I checked the settings and all was correct. At this point I discovered Copilot have very good customer service. Within the app you can contact them and they say they will reply as soon as possible in normal business hours. I submitted my query to them late on Friday and late on Monday morning I had a reply and then over the next few hours I exchanged messages with someone called Michel, who may or may not have been in California :) where the publishers of Copilot are based. At the end of our exchange I realised Copilot was not going to run on the Vankyo tablet because it doesn't have a GPS chip, something the product description hides well.

So I returned the tablet to Amazon (very easy to do) and spent another fiver buying another tablet.

Amazon product ASIN B073VX18JT
Link Removed

Yes, it's a Huawei and President Xi now knows everything about our trip to Tesco this morning - which was the first test run with it. :)

For the extra £5 or so this is a cracking tablet with a very good display. It also has a GPS chip and Copilot runs well on it. The Vankyo had a very poor screen and came with a version of Google maps which can't be used for navigation. The Huawei runs the now almost obsolete Android 6 but it works well.

My experience with the 10" tablet convinced me I wanted a better way to mount the tablet on the windscreen than using some sort of universal holder. So I ordered from Fleabay a Garmin mount.

Using superglue I stuck this to the back of the tablet after roughening both surfaces with 2000 grade wet and dry paper.

DSC_0007.JPG

The rubber sucker then clips in.

DSC_0008.JPG

And here it is on the dashboard. :)

DSC_0010.JPG

Power comes from a USB socket I fitted on the dashboard some time ago. This takes its power from the cigar lighter so it only works when the engine is running. I'm not entirely convinced the mount is going to hold it strongly enough. The ball joint is a bit loose but I'm sure I can do something about that if I need to. :)

I have investigated modifying the tablet so it starts automatically when charging starts and you can also get apps which would autorun Copilot when the tablet boots up. I haven't done anything yet but these are possibles for the future. With these modifications the tablet would run exactly like a conventional vehicle satnav but as it is now in standard form it could also serve as a backup tablet if my usual tablet expires on a trip.

But the funny end to this tale is when I brought my "dead" Garmin back home I tried plugging it into a computer which woke it up and after downloading some software it now works again! But I always wanted to give Copilot a try...

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Good thread(y)(y)
Dont know much about Co-Pilot so just had a look. Can't figure out what the In-App purchases will cost? Is it an annual payment?

Would you mind sharing what it cost?

Thanks.

Barry

Reactions: DBK

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Nice one I do like the DIY mount hope it holds up
I'm using a 10" tab A with a dash mount sufficient enough to expand and hold it in horizontal mode.
On this trip I've been using HERE WeGo free d/l downloade maps to SD card and working offline perfectly.
Running alongside my Garmin 760 lmt .
HWG give accurate directions in fact in places ,better than Mr Garmin.
Using Search4sites or Camperstops simply look at the route I want to be on ,pick a place and copy and past coordinates into HWG.
Then gives a selection of routes to choose from .
Won't be buying another Garmin (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
Hi DBK We have posted at the same time! Your solution sort of fits with what I am hoping to achieve. Can you link to the tablet via bluetooth to enable it to act as a phone link should you want to. (I appreciate that you where probably only after a nav display)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Nice one I do like the DIY mount hope it holds up
I'm using a 10" tab A with a dash mount sufficient enough to expand and hold it in horizontal mode.
On this trip I've been using HERE WeGo free d/l downloade maps to SD card and working offline perfectly.
Running alongside my Garmin 760 lmt .
HWG give accurate directions in fact in places ,better than Mr Garmin.
Using Search4sites or Camperstops simply look at the route I want to be on ,pick a place and copy and past coordinates into HWG.
Then gives a selection of routes to choose from .
Won't be buying another Garmin (y)
Here maps actually works better than you are doing , don't know if you have tried park4night but if you do you get the place up and click on localisation then another map comes up with a black oblong on and if you click on that it automatically kicks here up with the route in, it also gives you the choice of Google maps if you would rather.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good thread(y)(y)
Dont know much about Co-Pilot so just had a look. Can't figure out what the In-App purchases will cost? Is it an annual payment?

Would you mind sharing what it cost?

Thanks.

Barry
It currently costs £14 a year for the car version I've got. The maps are extra but they are a one off.

Most folk would probably want the MH/Caravan version but with our PVC I'm happy with a car version. I think they used to monitor live traffic and route accordingly but I can't find this option now. However, I'm very much a beginner with it so I may be looking in the wrong place. :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Here maps actually works better than you are doing , don't know if you have tried park4night but if you do you get the place up and click on localisation then another map comes up with a black oblong on and if you click on that it automatically kicks here up with the route in, it also gives you the choice of Google maps if you would rather.
Btw all this is free

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi DBK We have posted at the same time! Your solution sort of fits with what I am hoping to achieve. Can you link to the tablet via bluetooth to enable it to act as a phone link should you want to. (I appreciate that you where probably only after a nav display)
The tablet has Bluetooth so I guess you can connect it to a phone but I don't know if it could shutdown the Copilot app and then work as a link to the phone.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, I've done that with CamperContact but I use the satnav for more than just finding aires, for example finding a port, fuel or a supermarket. Google Maps I used this week on my phone but it was awkward but I must give it a go on this tablet. :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes, I've done that with CamperContact but I use the satnav for more than just finding aires, for example finding a port, fuel or a supermarket. Google Maps I used this week on my phone but it was awkward but I must give it a go on this tablet. :)
Sorry wasn't hijacking your thread , I was just pointing out to jollyrodger who is already using here maps how to cut out pasteing coords as it works automatically.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just paired my phone with the tablet and rang the phone but nothing happened, other than the phone rang. The tablet didn't do anything.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've also just discovered there is an Active Traffic upgrade for £9.99 which I guess is an annual fee. I will have a think about this but I need to check if it will work with a wifi link or does it need a phone connection? :)

This link suggests it just needs an internet connection which we have as the MiFi runs all the time.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Just want to say that I have been using a Huawei tablet for a couple of years and endorse its value for money and reliability.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For anyone else who uses here maps, if you have plenty memory in your phone including if you have a card in it, it takes up far less memory to download the whole of Europe than it does to download all the different countries separately.
And a plus with this it calculates across borders a lot easier and quicker. (y)

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Just paired my phone with the tablet and rang the phone but nothing happened, other than the phone rang. The tablet didn't do anything.

Many thanks for trying the phone - shame but not totally surprised. I did hear of something call "mirroring" or something like that but can no longer remember where I read it (SHMBO tells me it my age or something but forgot exactly what she said...)

Thanks again.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
I too am running CoPilot on a Huawei tablet, its excellent, I connect the tablet to my phone via wifi for traffic data.
I'm lucky in that I've had CoPilot for around 10 years so have free maps for life and the new version of CoPilot alows you to enter vehicle dimensions. Traffic is very useful and does not use that much data, really useful abroad.
The tablet is connected to the motorhome radio via bluetooth and I stream Amazon Music on the Tablet to give me music but also Copilot gives directions over the vehicle entertainment system, useful for those long journeys across Europe.

Deleted User
Like the tablet with built in gps. Use a similar work around following buying a cheap Chinese unit where I discovered IGO set to vehicle - bus; route - easy gave me far better navigation than any of the named units, however, the operating system was unstable so now I run IGO on iPad which fits into Ducato central tablet holder. Had to buy a GPS receiver and have a similar issue to yourself in that the battery runs down quicker than it can recharge (10 hours approx although easy to switch on off for the bulk of the journey that you know). Bright sunlight also an issue. What's the point of all this, just to say I haven't found the perfect solution yet so enjoying reading what you others do, all I know is I won't buy a Garmin or Tom Tom again.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I used to have a Harley Davidson with built in satnav using IGo mapping, wasn’t too bad, the only thing that used to grind my gears is that on a custom route (downloaded from basecamp) if you missed a waypoint, it wouldn’t correct itself and continue to the next one like my Garmin does, it would just try turning you round the rest of the trip to get back to that missed waypoint. If they have changed that, IGo shouldn’t be too bad, although no where near as good as a Garmin. I have Copilot and Sygic (both paid) and I can’t get my head round either of them so it’s back to my bike zumo 660.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Had to buy a GPS receiver and have a similar issue to yourself in that the battery runs down quicker than it can recharge (10 hours approx although easy to switch on off for the bulk of the journey that you know)

It might be worth using a 2.1A USB charger in the Cig Socket the one in the Fiat is low amps unless you fit a dedicated one under the dash.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
John
I used Google Maps on our recent trip to Greece. It performed faultlessly

Works seamlessly with Campercontact and saves having to enter co ordinates.
Being able to add a stop en route is handy too. Searching for a supermarket is so easy.

Wonder why people would use Copilot compared with Google Maps ?

Edit :
Looking on the App Store recent reviews for copilot are pretty negative

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
John
I used Google Maps on our recent trip to Greece. It performed faultlessly

Works seamlessly with Campercontact and saves having to enter co ordinates.
Being able to add a stop en route is handy too. Searching for a supermarket is so easy.

Wonder why people would use Copilot compared with Google Maps ?

Edit :
Looking on the App Store recent reviews for copilot are pretty negative
Robert, thank you. I've been playing with running Google Maps on the tablet this morning. It needed a few tweaks to keep the display on all the time but it now does this. It also wasn't downloading the map through my phone, running as a wifi hotspot. I've sorted this I think, setting Google Maps to wifi only. The staying awake while charging can be achieved by enabling developer options on the tablet then selecting Stay awake. I'll give it a test run tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Robert, thank you. I've been playing with running Google Maps on the tablet this morning. It needed a few tweaks to keep the display on all the time but it now does this. It also wasn't downloading the map through my phone, running as a wifi hotspot. I've sorted this I think, setting Google Maps to wifi only. The staying awake while charging can be achieved by enabling developer options on the tablet then selecting Stay awake. I'll give it a test run tomorrow. :)
Your work sorting these issues out would be very helpful - if/when you have it all sorted any chance of a "how to do it" post?

Additionally, if the android tablet has plenty of data and its own access to the internet, would this make it simpler and avoid having to link it to the phone?

We got so fed up with our landline being only used to answer unsolicited calls, we bined it and now use a 3 home internet (unlimited) at home and take it with us in the MH. Has worked very well throughout France and Spain so far and allows us 19 Gb / month of data. We also upgraded the tablet with 3 and this included 20Gb of data usable throughout Europe then we got a deal on the main mobile phone which now has 12 gb data. All the above always travels with us and the monthly cost is the same as BT landline and our old internet service.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Your work sorting these issues out would be very helpful - if/when you have it all sorted any chance of a "how to do it" post?

Additionally, if the android tablet has plenty of data and its own access to the internet, would this make it simpler and avoid having to link it to the phone?

We got so fed up with our landline being only used to answer unsolicited calls, we binned it and mow use a 3 home internet (unlimited) at home and take it with us in the MH. Has worked very well throughout France and Spain so far and allows us 19 Gb / month of data. We also upgraded the tablet with 3 and this included 20mb of data usable throughout Europe then we got a deal on the main mobile phone which now has 12 gb data. All the above always travels with us and the monthly cost is the same as BT landline and our old internet service.
This tablet doesn't have a SIM card so it can only connect to the internet via wifi. In the MH we have a mifi running all the time but the test this morning was in my car so I just used a mobile phone. From the tablet's point of view this shouldn't make any difference. Copilot does not need an internet connection for normal navigation but it does for the live traffic feature. Google Maps also needs it as the scope for downloading offline maps is very limited.

I'll test the tablet using Google Maps over the next day or so and if all is well I'll try and describe what I did, but it will be specific to this particular tablet I think.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
copied and pasted solution for using your tablet as a hands free

Solution to this problem is pretty simple. Here’s what you need to do:

1. ■Make sure that your Bluetooth hands-free is turned on.

■Make sure that the Bluetooth feature on your Samsung tablet is enabled.

■Ensure that the Bluetooth hands-free that you want to connect to your Samsung tablet is paired with the device.

■Also ensure that your Bluetooth hands-free and the Samsung tablet are within each other’s range.

■On your Samsung tablet, tap the app drawer and from the displayed options, tap the Settings icon.

■From the Settings window, in the left pane, tap the Bluetooth option.

■From the right pane, tap the button with the gear/settings icon available in front of the icon of the Bluetooth hands-free device that you have connected paired and connected to Samsung tablet.

01-openinterface_tha_us_1376931285_w_600.png

■On the window that appears next, under the Profiles section, check the Media audiocheckbox by tapping on it. Also ensure that the Call audio checkbox is checked.

02-configureoptions_tha_us_1376931313_w_600.png

■Once done, tap the back button multiple times until you are out of the Settings window.

■You should now be able to listen to the music and make or receive the phone calls using your Samsung tablet.
Note: The same procedure can be followed if you are able to listen to the music only and not able to make or receive the phone calls.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
copied and pasted solution for using your tablet as a hands free

Solution to this problem is pretty simple. Here’s what you need to do:

1. ■Make sure that your Bluetooth hands-free is turned on.

■Make sure that the Bluetooth feature on your Samsung tablet is enabled.

■Ensure that the Bluetooth hands-free that you want to connect to your Samsung tablet is paired with the device.

■Also ensure that your Bluetooth hands-free and the Samsung tablet are within each other’s range.

■On your Samsung tablet, tap the app drawer and from the displayed options, tap the Settings icon.

■From the Settings window, in the left pane, tap the Bluetooth option.

■From the right pane, tap the button with the gear/settings icon available in front of the icon of the Bluetooth hands-free device that you have connected paired and connected to Samsung tablet.

01-openinterface_tha_us_1376931285_w_600.png

■On the window that appears next, under the Profiles section, check the Media audiocheckbox by tapping on it. Also ensure that the Call audio checkbox is checked.

02-configureoptions_tha_us_1376931313_w_600.png

■Once done, tap the back button multiple times until you are out of the Settings window.

■You should now be able to listen to the music and make or receive the phone calls using your Samsung tablet.
Note: The same procedure can be followed if you are able to listen to the music only and not able to make or receive the phone calls.
Thank you but the tablet I'm using isn't a Samsung and those menu options aren't available.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thank you but the tablet I'm using isn't a Samsung and those menu options aren't available.
it should be in there in the android settings though, with a similar layout, which varies with every new iteration of android. which are you using on the tablet?

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
it should be in there in the android settings though, with a similar layout, which varies with every new iteration of android. which are you using on the tablet?
The tablet uses Android 6. I'll have another look tomorrow. :)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
My Garmin has not been out of the box since I discovered tom Tom's free android speed limit & camera app, which works very well with Google maps and makes for a comprehensive set up. I have a 3 contract so data not a problem in Europe.

SmartSelect_20190728-205937_Google Play Store.jpg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back