A different slant on Chicken Paella (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We both enjoy cooking and eating Paella especially in Spain with the local ingredients. We have however both seemed to have developed a dislike for the dried pimento that seems to be an ingredient in most of the colourings/flavourings that we buy to make the Paella. So we decided to try a new slant on it and thought about different things we could do.

Today we tried this..
A good glug of olive oil in the paella pan, chopped onion, chopped celery, chopped ginger, salt, pepper, pinch of dried chilli flakes, chicken ( we used skinless chicken thighs cut in two) and brown off on the cooker. We would have normally added chopped garlic at this stage but had found someone on the market selling wild garlic so chopped about three stalks of that and added it with the vegetables later.
Add a good glug of white wine to clear off the bottom of the pan and then add any veg you want. We put Judas beans, broccoli, mushrooms and thin carrots. We then added the juice of three lemons and a teaspoon of sugar. Put the lid on so that the veg steam in the wine vapours.
We added a cup full of paella rice and two cups of warm water to the pan and stirred it all in. Left it on low heat with the lid on, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid has been absorbed.

1 rice to 2 water should allow the rice to be cooked before it boils dry.

Leave lid on and turn off the heat and allow last of liquor to be absorbed for about 5 minutes and then enjoy with a glass of whatever you want!

IMG_20190213_162426.jpg

A nice one pan recipe all cooked outside on a small one burner camping stove!

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
image.jpeg
Nice recipe. We love cooking and eating our version of chicken and chorizo paella.
We have found the paella spice mix in Mercadonna to be excellent.
It is in a plastic tub similar to the scwartz spices we get at home.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
the last time we cooked paella we found the chorizo gave it all the colour it needed, the trick is to use the correct rice as you obviously know already !! my problem has always been estimating how much rice !! I cooked it for about 14 people for the royal wedding last year, but ended up with enough for at least 20 !! everyone ended up taking additional portions back with them. we found it cooked fine from frozen a week or so later.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Tomato or tomAto - it s made with paella rice, therefore its paella - whatever I put in it or call it is up to the head chef!

of course you could take it up with Jamie Oliver and the major stores who sell Paella WITH chorizo ....

do a search online for paella recipes with chorizo .... of course you wont find any ...

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Its only Brits who call it “Paella” rice. Shows our culinary ignorance!

I am prepared to admit I am culinary disadvantaged and culinary uneducated ...

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
My understanding of paella was it's peasant food so absolutely anything goes in, whatever was around, so I don't see chorizo being a problem. I guess in the day they didn't have chorizo so maybe that's why it doesn't appear in traditional recipes ?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
As the paella is a cooking vessel then anything cooked in it could be termed a 'paella'......discuss:)
According to wikipedia:
"Paella is a Valencian word which derives from the Old French word paelle for pan, which in turn comes from the Latin word patella for pan."

Matamoros wins :D2.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
the last time we cooked paella we found the chorizo gave it all the colour it needed, the trick is to use the correct rice as you obviously know already !! my problem has always been estimating how much rice !! I cooked it for about 14 people for the royal wedding last year, but ended up with enough for at least 20 !! everyone ended up taking additional portions back with them. we found it cooked fine from frozen a week or so later.

Surely there were more than 14 guests at the Royal Wedding, are you by “Royal Appointment” now?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It can't be paella without saffron surely its what gives it that subtle flavour and colour we have some bought on the market in Barcelona we tried a spice mix once it was rubbish as they tried to replace the (expensive) saffron with paprika. I saw a program on tv they reckoned the other ingredients just reflect what's available in the local area theirs had rabbit and no seafood or chicken.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I cook a full English in my cadac Paella pan, does that count?

It would for me now i am now a bit more educated in pan naming ...

Deleted User
I use a brand of paella mix called 'Carmencita' which contains Saffron which is ok.

I also sometimes use Saffron threads but always use a little paprika or unsmoked pimenton and put in a mixture of meat and vegetables or fish and marisco as available.

Lots of Spanish use colourants in paella and fidueas and no saffron and as others have said the meat/vegetable/seafood contents vary with area, in many areas they are bulked up with alcochafa's (artichokes).

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
HAH! Brits cooking a SPANISH Peasant dish !

Clearest case of "Cultural Misappropriation" ever!! You will be reported to the thought police! Taken away in Chains and Manacles, and transported!!! to Bolton, where you will be forced to watch the Police cars burn!!!

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I will inform my Valenciano acquaintances that their Regional dish, cooked by them in a very specific way for centuries can be altered on the say-so of the Brits and still be called Paella.

You will no doubt hear the laughter and ridicule all the way from Valencia.

I wonder if when I substitute plain flour with chickpea flour, I would still be having Yorkshire Pudding.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
But that's what we do - there is no such dish as Spaghetti Bolognaise in Italy; Indian food - most restaurant staff are not from India and the food is nothing like what is eaten; chop suey - just means left overs; didn't Obama get into a row over guacamole.
Having said that - you don't put chorizo in paella :) although what you end up with is worth making and eating.

Deleted User
I will inform my Valenciano acquaintances that their Regional dish, cooked by them in a very specific way for centuries can be altered on the say-so of the Brits and still be called Paella.

You will no doubt hear the laughter and ridicule all the way from Valencia.

I wonder if when I substitute plain flour with chickpea flour, I would still be having Yorkshire Pudding.

Please then define what goes into an 'authentic' Paella Valenciana!

Whilst i would agree that chorizo is not to be found in a Paella, at least i have never seen one in Spain, virtually anything else can and has been cooked in a paella.

Even in Valencia the ingredients vary from village to village and all would lay claim to being the authentic and original version.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back