A different microwave question (1 Viewer)

Sarah65

Free Member
Oct 28, 2013
Bridgend Wales
Funster No
MH
Toyota hiace 1995camper
Exp
Not started yet!
Hi all, totally new to motor homing / campervaning. I have many many questions but came across the thread for microwaves.
Q. Can I buy any micro or does it have to be a special kind for campers?
Thanks
Sarah.
Next thread off to tow bar section::bigsmile:

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
Hi all, totally new to motor homing / campervaning. I have many many questions but came across the thread for microwaves.
Q. Can I buy any micro or does it have to be a special kind for campers?
Thanks
Sarah.
Next thread off to tow bar section::bigsmile:
Things to condsider are, the size and weight of the micro your after, also what power it will take to operate.
Idealy you would want a microwave that will either fit into one of your overhead cupboards, or sit on top of your workspace. If it is not fitted you will need to store it when your travelling.
Another thing to consider: if you fit it into a cupboard make sure there is room for air to flow around it, Microwaves generate heat again ideally you would try to incorporate an air vent to disperse that heat.
Microwaves operate when you are hooked up to the main supply, at home or on site. I think the majority of motorhomes use 700 - 800 watt voltage, when you consider most you will do with your microwave is reheat food that should be good enough. :thumb:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I used to carry a microwave in the van, Tesco's Value. Worked fine on EHU. Used to travel on the floor between the seats then up on to the work surface on site. Can't use it in the van I have now as nowhere to put it.

But using a microwave off grid is a different ball game - I believe 12v ones are available but don't know anything about them.

What I don't like in new caravans and motorhomes I see at shows are the microwaves in top cupboards - firstly they are heavy so surely should be as low down as possible, secondly I'd have to reach up to use them and would probably end up with piping hot food all over my head.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back