Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Just returned from our first trip in our new (to us) Avantgarde 140 - a couple of nights in Keswick.

We had a couple of problems I'm hoping someone can help with....

The water pump suddenly kicked into action just as we were preparing to turn in last night, and had to be turned off - the 'van was really warm at the time so not a case of dropping temperature, and in any case it ran for far longer than it would have needed to to restore pressure. No signs of a leak anywhere, so I'm assuming the pressure/flow switch (not sure which it is) is maybe faulty. Chatting with one of the site staff this morning he told me he thought that there may be an adjustment on the switch - but so far I've been unable to find it, either to check for adjustment or to replace. This morning when we turned it back on to use water for washing, at first it malfunctioned as before and had to be turned off, but after a couple of cycles returned to normal operation. Anyone had this problem, or can offer advice?

secondly, the blade on the bench type Thetford cassette seems to have come to bits - it looks as though there is a disc which presumably clips to the underlying arm, and it's come unclipped. The disc is there, but I can't persuade it back over the top of the arm to attempt to refasten it. Again, anyone had this problem?

Everything else went well, you'll be glad to hear, except that there doesn't seem to be any way to control the 'fridge temperature on 240v operation, and it froze the milk!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Water pump is a worry
You may well have sprung a leak somewhere out of site.. It happened in the Miller.. and yes, just as I went to bed as well... But in my case about 3 am having been on a massive binge with a crowd of like minded bikers !! )
The leak was a split hose under a step that went across the rear of the van so was not only out of sight but a bugger to fix.. Had to remove the step completely..

Canna help with the bog I am afraid.. but there are full destructions and exploded diagrams on the Thetford web site

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It's not your heater dump valve opened up is it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Pretty sure it's not a leak, or the dump valve, as the water heater worked fine this morning and would have gone off had there been no water - which there was. The whole system worked just fine for washing this morning, and then as I said the pump stopped running on for reasons best known to itself and started working normally, so I suspect it's the pressure/flow switch.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ahhh.. Probably just a bit of grunge caught under the relief valve in the pump.. Hopefully it will remain working just fine :)

Last edited:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Can't help with the pump but why not invest in a new toilet freshen up kit? New seat, cassette etc is about £80. Or just get the new blade. Sorry I'm struggling with a small phone to provide links.

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Canna help with the bog I am afraid.. but there are full destructions and exploded diagrams on the Thetford web site

Checked the Thetford site, and found the info I needed to show me how to open up the seal mechanism - thanks. Hopefully I can fix that, at least!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It's really fiddly getting the blade back on, best of luck!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The fridge problem could just be a faulty thermistor ... we had one go on a Thetford fridge and froze everything ... it was quite cheap and very easy to change.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Checked the Thetford site, and found the info I needed to show me how to open up the seal mechanism - thanks. Hopefully I can fix that, at least!

It's not a bad job once you've undone the 6 cross head screws that hold the lip seal in place, the disc just clips into place. Think there might be a video online showing how to do it. Sometimes happens if the guides get gunged up with a calcium type deposit :eek: worth filling the cassette with warm water and citric acid crystals (home brew shop) then going for a spirited drive (y)

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
On occasions our waterpump continues to run after having used a tap. We may be sat there and one of us will say "why is the pump still running".
I have not yet managed to find a reason for this, but we simply turn off the water at the controller, and back on again and all seems ok. Not aware of any leaks anywhere .. ..

Let me know if you come up with an answer 1st (y)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
so I suspect it's the pressure/flow switch.

My German van has a system of micro switches on each tap (so no pressure/flow switches)
Could yours be the same and a tap wasn't fully closed or needs adjusting?

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Our AutoTrail Navajo seems to have the intermittent pump problem. There are no leaks and we have made the adjustment to the pump. Wen it does happen we just turn it off for a while and then back on again and it seems okay. It is due for it's first service in February so will mention it to the dealer.

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks to all for your input. The toilet cassette problem is half sorted - definitely a new part needed, it's complicated to explain but basically on the blade there is a stem which slots into the blade driver and it's broken, so a new blade required. The Thetford parts diagram doesn't show it, it shows the top of the blade and the stem is on the bottom - if anyone is interested I'll try to upload a photo.

With regard to the water pump problem, I guess it's wait and see!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
20150419_170828.jpg
Here's one I prepared earlier :LOL:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I agree, from what you say, that your pressure switch papers to be faulty. It should be just 'upstream' of the pump but could be an integral part of the pump. Follow the wires and pipe from the pump if it's not part of the pump assembly. It ought to be accessible, one way or the other, but there's no guarantee!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
could also be an air bubble in the switch or more likely the non return valve has grit in it and is failing. the water leaks back to the tank dropping the pressure occasionally and if stuck prevents the pressure building

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Yes, Jockaneezer, that's the very chap! Anyone know if this part is available as an individual spare from Thetford? Or do they only sell it as part of an assembly?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
bought one not long back, about £6

Join us or log in to post a reply.