Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
36139564264_af2319f157_h.jpg

Night shot of Empire State from the High Line walkway in New York City.

36793929146_f4ad6693e5_h.jpg

Amish family group in Niagara Falls, Canada.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Mono photography of the finest order. Very much enjoyed my time viewing here and captured all the tones in the grey scale.

Dave.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Mono photography of the finest order. Very much enjoyed my time viewing here and captured all the tones in the grey scale.

Dave.
Very kind of you to say so, what would we do without Nik Software :D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Love the rich blacks and clean whites in the first shot.

Having Nik Software installed on your computer after the event is no excuse for your excellent seeing eye that captured this meeting viewed here. The choice of mono adds to the feeling and gives a 3D type effect. No hesitation awarding 20/20. Well spotted and done.

Dave.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Love the rich blacks and clean whites in the first shot.

Having Nik Software installed on your computer after the event is no excuse for your excellent seeing eye that captured this meeting viewed here. The choice of mono adds to the feeling and gives a 3D type effect. No hesitation awarding 20/20. Well spotted and done.

Dave.
Love Mono, just something about it. (y)
Thank you both.
The use of monochrome seems to be the photographic equivalent of grey water or A-frames, guaranteed to raise blood pressure in forum discussions! As far as I'm concerned it seems to bring out the full dynamic range of a subject without the distraction of colour, the viewer can concentrate on form and tone.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Mono photos are the best, I think you get better detail, your eye doesn't get distracted by colour.
I am biased, my dad was a professional photographer so I grew up with all the paraphernalia around me & a lot of his work was mono!

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Amish photo, love it, was it hard getting their consent?
Interesting point and another blood pressure raiser. I did not ask their consent.
In the vast majority of countries and municipalities there is no presumption of privacy in a public space. Anyone can take a photograph and publish it of any person in that public space. However, the photographer is bound by law not to act in such a way as to harass or cause distress to the person(s) they are photographing.

In this particular case I used a zoom lens at the long end so they would not have been aware of my presence so in no way could I have caused distress to them at the moment of taking the shot. Whether I was morally right in doing so is another matter but some of the most famous photographs of all time have been "street" or "candid" shots where the subject(s) were unaware of the photographer.

Even if they were aware but were not being harassed then legally they would have no cause for complaint. Of course that wouldn't stop the photographer from getting a punch on the nose but then the assailant would have been breaking the law.

I take the view that when I am out in the street doing photography I must act in a responsible and respectful manner to those I am photographing.
I understand that in some parts of the province of Ontario (where I was in this instance) there are notices requesting no photography of the Amish although whether these are legally binding or simply requests I do not know. In those circumstances I would not take photographs.

I am mainly a wildlife photographer and even then I am bound by law not to approach the nests of certain birds at certain times of the year or cause distress to any bird or animal I photograph.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I was asking as when I visted the Amish community, they specifically stated that the Amish didn't approve of full facial photography, indeed as far as I know they simply do not like being photographed. They have a hard enough time living in a goldfish bowl being the tourist attraction they have become.
I've always had an inretest in them, read a few books and have visited their community

Not trying to cause an argument or your blood pressure.
Today, in Lyon, there was a demonstration and the CRS were out in force, my goddaughters godmother was with us and her husband, we asked if we could take a snap and he smiled and agreed just a snap.
2017-09-12 17.55.36.jpg

Reactions: Jim

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I love "Street Photography" and love the photo of the Amish. Given a grainy and sepia tone it would give a very confusing image, an image that could have been taken 100 years ago ...but with a modern child's Buggy.

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Here are some of my attempts at "Street" photography. B&W is a natural fit for this branch of photography, where subject is everything and colour can distract.
I have many, but here are 3 I really like.
Everything Fine 1920.jpg
Pigs 1920.jpg
man on train 1920.jpg

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Excellent choice of mono for these three shots. Not sure if these were taken on the old 120 roll film format but the choice of presenting them in this squire format works a real treat for me.
Thanks for sharing, well spotted and done.
Dave.

Last edited:

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Excellent choice of mono for these three shots. Not sure if these were taken on the old 120 roll film format but the choice of presenting them in this square format works a real treat for me.
Thanks for sharing, well spotted and done.
Dave.

They were actually shot on a digital compact, a Canon S120. It's a truly great camera for this sort of work, like my old Olympus XA2 film camera to use.

I crop into a square format purely because of my hero, Vivian Maier, who shot 120 roll film (on a Rolleiflex) and I'm trying my hardest to get anywhere close to her work.

My all-time favourite "Vivian Maier shot" is at a Vivian Maier exhibition in London. Taken on my S120 (120 Roll film? Coincidence). It probably means more to me than to anyone else because i know what I was trying to achieve. It's a tribute.

Maier's photos were mundane when she took them, they were just life. The thing is, after 50 years, they become historical documents. I'm hoping that one day people will "get it" and that they will look at the girl on the mobile phone and think, "Wow..that's what kids used to do all the time in the 21st century". Then they'll get the Vivian Maier association.

I may be overthinking the whole thing. :)

Vivian Maier 1920.jpg

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
...One additional tribute..

My tribute photo is hanging on my wall in exactly the same frame and format as the exhibition prints. It's just that mine cost about £30 rather than £4,000.
a Vivian Maier copy 1.jpg

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I came here in search of another excellent mono uploaded by our Mack 100 but ended up walking away empty handed.
Dave.
I'm taking a rest from posting on here.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
They were actually shot on a digital compact, a Canon S120. It's a truly great camera for this sort of work, like my old Olympus XA2 film camera to use.

I crop into a square format purely because of my hero, Vivian Maier, who shot 120 roll film (on a Rolleiflex) and I'm trying my hardest to get anywhere close to her work.

My all-time favourite "Vivian Maier shot" is at a Vivian Maier exhibition in London. Taken on my S120 (120 Roll film? Coincidence). It probably means more to me than to anyone else because i know what I was trying to achieve. It's a tribute.

Maier's photos were mundane when she took them, they were just life. The thing is, after 50 years, they become historical documents. I'm hoping that one day people will "get it" and that they will look at the girl on the mobile phone and think, "Wow..that's what kids used to do all the time in the 21st century". Then they'll get the Vivian Maier association.

I may be overthinking the whole thing. :)

View attachment 195059
Thanks for the heads up on Vivian Maier, it was a new name to me photography wise but have since been looking at her street photography on the internet and she produced some excellent work. To catch that shot outside the exhibition was so in-keeping with her style of photography, love the girl placed just inside the frame with the movement of the those walking past being the icing on the cake.
Dave.

Last edited:

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Thanks for the heads up on Vivian Maier, it was a new name to me photography wise but have since been looking at her street photography on the internet and she produced some excellent work. To catch that shot outside the exhibition was so in-keeping with her style of photography, love the girl placed just inside the frame with the movement of the those walking past being the icing on the cake.
Dave.
Thanks.

My favourite edit of the photo is this one below (but you really need to zoom into the exhibit to see why. The resolution on the forum may not be enough to see why).

Vivian Maier thru the looking glass 1920.jpg

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks.

My favourite edit of the photo is this one below (but you really need to zoom into the exhibit to see why. The resolution on the forum may not be enough to see why).

View attachment 195448
I saved it to my computer and enlarged it. It looks like your photo on the wall inside??
Dave.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back