"A" Class vans - specific issues to be aware of? (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
We have had a British Coachbuilt (Autosleeper) for 13 months which we enjoyed as our first van, we now have a A class Hymer which we love.

Ditto:D @Mr Mousy
We too had an Auto-sleeper coachbuilt as our first van, but had always dreamt of owning a A class Hymer, so when the time came to upgrade we bought one, we love it cos although its the same length as our old van it feels so much more spacious and has oodles of storage and we wouldn't go back(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Not having an A class I hadn't read this thread previously.

Personally, since buying our current coachbuilt 3 and a half years ago we haven't seen anything we would want to change it for. Fixed bed, comparatively large shower, comfortable to lounge about in and plenty of storage.

I would always recommend to anyone that they make a list of essentials/desirables and decide on that basis rather than having fixed ideas about A class, coachbuilt or PVC.
Yes, but it is a Burstner. Where is Shifty when you really need him?

Oh yes, watching whore horse in London when he should be watching a great Rugby team win :whistle2:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We had an A class Mercedes Rapido and thought it was great - we now have a new Fiat low profile Knaus with an end bathroom and love it :)

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Those fitted with Hella 90 mm units. Broken Link Removed as used by Rapido and others do not suffer the high replacement cost associated with custom units like the Hymer ones

The Hella ones can bought for 60 to 70 quid.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Another point in the A Class's favour with the better front end insulation they are sooo much quieter to drive mine is quieter than my car at 70.

Also in an A Class the drop down bed is further forward than is possible in a CB and the sofa is still usable with the bed down.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Another A class convert. Could not understand why you would pay extra as you were still sitting at a Fiat console but the extra space around you is liberating. Would never go back.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
As we keep our eyes open to replace our van , it's hard to imagine anything other than another A Class. Apart from all the advantages already stated, I only have to recal our drive up though the glorious Auvergne last year on the way home from Spain. The views from the cab made the drive a total pleasure.

I also like being able to look down on Range Rover and other 4x4 drivers from my LHD position in the UK :p.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Just changed my van and looked at having an A class, BUT, the tales of woe concerning windscreens, headlights and in particular access to the engine area put me right off, at least with a C class spares are easy to get and its can a competitive market for them.

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
ust changed my van and looked at having an A class, BUT, the tales of woe concerning windscreens, headlights and in particular access to the engine area put me right off, at least with a C class spares are easy to get and its can a competitive market for them.
Just had my windscreen changed this week. I just phoned up autoglass it took 2 weeks to get the screen (Rapido ) and fit no problem insurance payed that is what it is for cost me ÂŁ75 excess. The van was usable while we waited

Neil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back