"A" Class vans - specific issues to be aware of? (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Are A class vans that much wider than coach builts?
Enough to make a difference inside, but ours was no wider outside ( mirror to mirror) than our Ducato based coach built

Last edited by a moderator:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The van itself is usually the same width - about 2.3 metres in my case. However, the "bus" mirrors don't fold all the way in. Not an issue but something to be aware of.....

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
No, not that wide surprisingly. We're also 2.3m, but that's including mirrors, which won't be an issue through a width restriction, for example as they are up high.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
No, not that wide surprisingly. We're also 2.3m, but that's including mirrors, which won't be an issue through a width restriction, for example as they are up high.
It was an issue when I didn't allow for it and realised that I had 3" each side spare reversing through the driveway gates........ Got used to it now, though

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
No, and the same length, having looked at A class personally didn't see any more room than a low profile C/B with a drop down bed at the front which a lot are now

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
It was an issue when I didn't allow for it and realised that I had 3" each side spare reversing through the driveway gates........ Got used to it now, though

Lol. We almost had a problem with length. Driveway = 7 metres. Van = 6.49 metres. No problems.

Not if you don't take into account the overhang on the garage, guttering and a tow bar. Tight squeeze!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 53

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Exactly!! Coach built mirrors fold right in.....
Yes, but if your having to fold the mirrors in the the gap probably to small unless your passing another car on a narrow road
Not sure DD if your indicating this is a bad or good thing when comparing C/B to A class, one thing I have noticed about A ckass M/H is when passing them they never acknowledge you unlike C/B, a little bit of snobbery I think but that's my experience so far travelling up and down the country(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes, but if your having to fold the mirrors in the the gap probably to small unless your passing another car on a narrow road
Not sure DD if your indicating this is a bad or good thing when comparing C/B to A class, one thing I have noticed about A ckass M/H is when passing them they never acknowledge you unlike C/B, a little bit of snobbery I think but that's my experience so far travelling up and down the country(y)
Yes - you are right; I was focussed on reversing into the driveway where the last van the mirrors folded in narrower than the van itself. Probably mirror to mirror it is about the same when open but A class mirrors are a bit expensive to replace and don't fold in too much.
As for waving, I haven't noticed much difference as we will wave at anybody; even Tootles. About half wave back; VW drivers never and some Hymer owners are otherwise concentrating........

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Yes - you are right; I was focussed on reversing into the driveway where the last van the mirrors folded in narrower than the van itself. Probably mirror to mirror it is about the same when open but A class mirrors are a bit expensive to replace and don't fold in too much.
As for waving, I haven't noticed much difference as we will wave at anybody; even Tootles. About half wave back; VW drivers never and some Hymer owners are otherwise concentrating........
Well DD, I wave to everyone, in fact I make a point of waving to A ckass just to wind them up, if I ever get a wave back good chance it's the Dux on tour and your right about VW(y)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
one thing I have noticed about A ckass M/H is when passing them they never acknowledge you unlike C/B, a little bit of snobbery I think but that's my experience so far travelling up and down the country(y)

That's strange... we always wave (we have an A class). Often folk don't wave back from all types of MH's but I expect its because they're concentrating on something else.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
As a VW nut, it's not 'normal convention' to wave to anyone else unless they are in a VW. The scene can get pretty snobbish too, as some air cooled owners won't wave to water cooled owners and consider themselves somewhat superior. That said, we all wave to kids who love seeing beetles and campervans pass them, I don't know what it is but kids are drawn to them.

We wave/thumbs up to all MH owners, although being LHD some may not see us doing it.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
That's strange... we always wave (we have an A class). Often folk don't wave back from all types of MH's but I expect its because they're concentrating on something else.
Strange it may be, but that's my experenice with A class M/H, I would say 90% of C/B do wave (excluding motorways) in fact I would go as far and say probably only had one A class acknowledge us in 18 months in which time done 12.000 miles
Would be interested to hear the thoughts from A class owners and if they get acknowledgment from other A class owners

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Strange it may be, but that's my experenice with A class M/H, I would say 90% of C/B do wave (excluding motorways) in fact I would go as far and say probably only had one A class acknowledge us in 18 months in which time done 12.000 miles
Would be interested to hear the thoughts from A class owners and if they get acknowledgment from other A class owners
Well we are a lot posher than CB owners and waving depends very much on what the butler is doing at the time. If he is preparing the cucumber sandwich platter or pouring the earl grey then of course he isn't going to be able to wave back..........;)

Seriously, we will wave at anyone as previously posted but some of the big A classes do not tend to acknowledge back, so they get a second.......ahem........wave:whistle2: Also as a principle, we would like to never wave at Burstner owners, just in case one of them is @GJH :D but that doesn't work because we wouldn't want to miss waving hello to @movan :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not having an A class I hadn't read this thread previously.

Personally, since buying our current coachbuilt 3 and a half years ago we haven't seen anything we would want to change it for. Fixed bed, comparatively large shower, comfortable to lounge about in and plenty of storage.

I would always recommend to anyone that they make a list of essentials/desirables and decide on that basis rather than having fixed ideas about A class, coachbuilt or PVC.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My main thing with most 'A' class vehicles is the amount of wasted space between the dash and the screen. Some of the ones I have seen have huge amounts.

The dead space is no different to a CB built on the same chassis. The driving position, steering wheel and front bumper are all in the same places. On a CB you have the windscreen close to you and the "wasted space" is taken up by the bonnet. That's the only difference.

Our dogs have appropriated the big shelf as their personal lounging area so it actually works better for us (y)

one thing I have noticed about A ckass M/H is when passing them they never acknowledge

I always wave. Even at Welsh vans. (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ah but the wider A class front compared to a van front, allows it to be better insulated for a start, more panoramic view, and room for front seats to be sightly of centre allowing for a larger gap between, giving a feeling of far more spaciousness compared to a coachbuilt or van

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

Well, if I see you I'll give you a wave! :)

We wave at everyone - have never thought of the size/type of vehicle and didn't realise the situation existed that one type wouldn't wave at another. What a waste of thinking.... shall I wave or not - lets check the cut of your jib before deciding! :LOL:

We usually but not always, get waves back. It doesn't bother us either way but its always nice if they do.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have an A class and wave at all, be they big or small.
Also the dash gets used as storage for the Ramoska and other stuff when on site, well as long as we leave enough room for our dog, that's her sun lounge.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Our dogs have appropriated the big shelf as their personal lounging area so it actually works better for us (y)
I bet its a bu**er overtaking when the dog decides to have a scratch.........:Eeek:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Well we changed to A class this year and love it reasons were needed to be able to tow,better storeage and no draughts where the cab joins the coach built bit.Problem solved with Hymer Exsis i698
and we still wave at everyone even VWs

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
On IVECO based A class they now move the dash and steering so that you are only about 12 inches from the screen so no wasted space.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back