"A" Class vans - specific issues to be aware of? (1 Viewer)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Thinking about changing to an A class. Apart from hugely expensive windscreens, are there any issues which make them any more expensive to run than a coach built?
I'm thinking about servicing, repairs, insurance, and anything else you know about. Eg, I seem to remember seeing that servicing can be an issue as it can be more difficult to get at parts of the growly bits (engine).
Apoogies if I don't respond for a bit, WiFi a bit intermittent at the mo.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thinking about changing to an A class. Apart from hugely expensive windscreens, are there any issues which make them any more expensive to run than a coach built?
I'm thinking about servicing, repairs, insurance, and anything else you know about. Eg, I seem to remember seeing that servicing can be an issue as it can be more difficult to get at parts of the growly bits (engine).
Apoogies if I don't respond for a bit, WiFi a bit intermittent at the mo.
Yes, the engine can be difficult to access for major jobs but routine services should be OK. One thing I had to do was to use a funnel and a bit of hose to refill the screen washer bottle (......and some water as well). No problems really with our Piote.

Insurance was the same price as our Autosleeper despite the higher value

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Yes fiat chasiss Rapido A class.
The heater controle fresh air/recerculating air
Simple job on a fiat
Extra 6 hours labour on Rapido A class.
Mine was warenty so not my problem.
Rapido paid the Fiat Garage the extra.

But the plus points outway the rest IMO

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have an A class Hymer..

Windscreen is covered by insurance.. ensure you have up to £3k cover

Body panels may/will be expensive to replace / repair .. but again, covered by insurance

Routine Servicing is no more expensive than a C class,

Insurance about the same

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have an A class Hymer..

Windscreen is covered by insurance.. ensure you have up to £3k cover

Body panels may/will be expensive to replace / repair .. but again, covered by insurance

Routine Servicing is no more expensive than a C class,

Insurance about the same

Sorry Jim, but £3k would not cover our A class screen, you would need to double that.

A class for us, can't imagine going Coachbuilt, some A class have double glazed cab side windows so when the front screen is down or silver screens on it is lovely and warm.

Martin

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sorry Jim, but £3k would not cover our A class screen, you would need to double that.

A class for us, can't imagine going Coachbuilt, some A class have double glazed cab side windows so when the front screen is down or silver screens on it is lovely and warm.

Martin
Ah yes.... But you have a really posh van ;)

You are right, though. It is a risk that we are happy to take for all the internal space advantages that an A Class offers. We would never go back to a coach built.

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
OK, thanks for that. Apart from the cost of a windscreen, how quickly can one be replaced, and how dependent are you on where you are at the tome

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
windscreen and headlights can be a real expense so get quote from insurance....

have heard of people being stuck for weeks waiting for a screen...not to bad if at home but when travelling? I'm prepared to risk it for a biscuit as fancy a lightweight A class :)

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Side mirrors too can be expensive.

Only had mine for a while, but it's been a dream of mine to own an A Class, which I didn't think would be a possibility. If you get the chance, do it - you won't regret it. And get a European one,

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When we needed a windscreen it was in stock and all covered by the insurance at about £6.5k, sure they don't cost that when they come out of Turkey, somebody said only £4k if you go to the factory in Germany. Windscreens only crack rather than shatter these days as they are laminated not toughened so a little damage is not usually the end of the world.

Martin

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
OK, thanks for that. Apart from the cost of a windscreen, how quickly can one be replaced, and how dependent are you on where you are at the tome
To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it. Same as the mirrors - yes, expensive but life is too short to spend the whole trip fretting about it all

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We wouldn't having anything other than an 'A class' now, easy to use bed ready made above driving seats, just pull down and climb in.
I've found servicing is easy enough, had a cam belt kit fitted a couple of weeks ago and only cost around an extra 1 hour to do (4 hours) at a local garage-that on a fiat based Hymer, others may differ.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On our first A Class now wouldn't consider any other type of van. Hymer headlamps a bit expensive at a €1000, risk you take.
Insurance was cheaper than our last Low profile Hymer, but my mates Carthago was double, depends on how popular the van is.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
We have had a British Coachbuilt (Autosleeper) for 13 months which we enjoyed as our first van, we now have a A class Hymer which we love. In the scheme of the world any cost differences are irrevalant for the benefits gained (in my opinion).

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Don't worry about the windscreen cost. Ours got a crack last year in the MOT zone, they crack now not shatter so not a problem still usable. Got the screen done on the insurance £70 the fitter said the screen would have cost £2000 that's why you have windscreen cover. Servicing the same really as it's only a engine like the others, mirrors and lights a bit more expensive but the good outweigh the bad every time. Enjoy.

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
just got an A class, oh my god its lovely, it feels so much better, we have not been far in it but it was worth the wait to find the right one. Good luck with your search you will know when you find the right layout. For us A class is perfect.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Our first van was a coachbuilt Bessecarr - the view from the front of the van was restricted by the height of the windscreen. At times it was like viewing the passing scenery through a letterbox
Our new A class has a much bigger windscreen, which was improved the view beyond compare.
It has improved our touing enjoyment enormously

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Our Rapido is an A class, before that we have had 6 Coachbuilt Mh's now we will never consider having a Coachbuilt, but it's up to you it's your money and you'll need to buy what suites you and you're pocket.
Regards
Ray

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Glad I tried driving one when at Carthago city this summer. as I had a hang up re the large ledge instead of dash and driving position, but it was a joy to drive and manoevre to be honest:)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Problems to be aware of are jealousy from coach built owners of the space you have
Not sure if that is correct. Amazing how much travelling kit, (plus washing awaiting recycling) you can get into an unused for sleeping Luton.
My main thing with most 'A' class vehicles is the amount of wasted space between the dash and the screen. Some of the ones I have seen have huge amounts.
On saying that, it wouldn't put us off having one, if the right one came along. :)

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks all, just what I was looking for. Wife is on board with this, so might be in with a chance. Touring in Germany and France just now, eyes peeled for dealers.
Cheers,

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks all, just what I was looking for. Wife is on board with this, so might be in with a chance. Touring in Germany and France just now, eyes peeled for dealers.
Cheers,

let the fingers do the walking and look online to ID dealers and stock....

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
As luck would have it, we got s chip in the widescreen of our A class today
Phoned our insurers NFU mutual who confirmed that there is NO limit on the value of a windscreen on a MH insured with them
They may not be the cheapest cover, but their cover could save you thousands £££ compared with others
Luckily ours can probably be repaired, when we get back to UK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back