A Class Indicators (1 Viewer)

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi Folks
Many A Class Motorhomes have their own 'Take' on lighting and styling at the front. I have been concerned that our Laika has indicators low down which are not easy to see. I have done a bit of nosing around and found that there is a pair of 'Daytime Driving Lights' in the headlight cluster but no indicators. We always drive with the headlights on, and the daytime driving lights go off.
I have taken out the light fitting on the Day time lights, and taken them apart. By cutting the tabs so the power feed is not linked, then drilling through the back of the fitting and soldering connections to the bulb holder, I have then been able to wire up the lights to the indicators. A change to orange bulbs and I now have indicators, at headlight height all neat and tidy.
If I need to, I can just buy replacement bulb holders and return everything as it was.

It works really well - a good morning's tinkering.

D

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I guess it depends on how old your van is but I thought all vehicles after 2011 had to have DRL?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
DRLs are normally considerably brighter (in daylight) than dipped headlights and indicate that a vehicle is moving (or at least that the engine is in use). They are also a legal requirement for cars and small vans (since 2011). Better to fit indicator repeaters in the mirrors. The existing repeaters should be visible from off-centre at the front anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Folks
Many A Class Motorhomes have their own 'Take' on lighting and styling at the front. I have been concerned that our Laika has indicators low down which are not easy to see. I have done a bit of nosing around and found that there is a pair of 'Daytime Driving Lights' in the headlight cluster but no indicators. We always drive with the headlights on, and the daytime driving lights go off.
I have taken out the light fitting on the Day time lights, and taken them apart. By cutting the tabs so the power feed is not linked, then drilling through the back of the fitting and soldering connections to the bulb holder, I have then been able to wire up the lights to the indicators. A change to orange bulbs and I now have indicators, at headlight height all neat and tidy.
If I need to, I can just buy replacement bulb holders and return everything as it was.

It works really well - a good morning's tinkering.

D
These. Vehicles have to have type approval. Not sure if altering position of indicators would invalidate that or need notifying to insurance as a mod??

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Apart from the DRL requirement , you might have noticed that where indicators a positioned close to DRL the DRL switches off when the indicator is active . This is due to the masking effect , due to the difference in light intensity . You should expect the same problem locating a indicator close to a lit headlamp . For MOT purposes march 2018 is cut off date , the other consideration is some DRL fulfill function of front position lights (side lights) on some vehicles , so not having them is another RFF . HTSH :)

OP
OP
Blaydon
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi Folks,
Thanks for your thoughts.
When we got the vehicle, 2018, there were no bulbs in the DRLs as part of the font end has DRLs in another position. The new indicators are well away from the DRLs so I can't see how we will have a problem.
In short - we have DRLs, and indicators that can be seen properly from a good range of views.

D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Hi Folks,
Thanks for your thoughts.
When we got the vehicle, 2018, there were no bulbs in the DRLs as part of the font end has DRLs in another position. The new indicators are well away from the DRLs so I can't see how we will have a problem.
In short - we have DRLs, and indicators that can be seen properly from a good range of views.

D
A picture would have been worth the proverbial 1000 words here!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back