A class - great interior space - crap under bonnet space (1 Viewer)

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I looked at Carthago A class motorhomes a couple of weeks ago and thought 'How on earth do you even fill up the coolant?' Looked a nightmare. Wouldn't stop me buying one though.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have had an A class and I don’t really get the extra room bit.

It was a Burstner Aviano and the front cab comprised an awful lot of sloping windscreen and dashboard which I thought was wasted space.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
You do need to bear in mind that this varies from model to model. There is reasonable access to our NB Arto, The Fiat engine is fitted transverse so not too bad to get to most items.

However I'm also in the camp that would prefer to pay somebody else to do the oily stuff these days, even cars are hard to do without a 4 poster and the diagnostic stuff these days.

View attachment 271614

I think our Arto is same model as Jon's.

Access is not best but like him I prefer to pay somebody. Our commercial garage has never complained, or charged extra.

I do think N&B could have hinged the 'bonnet' on top edge, instead of pull forward and slide up, where it is still partly obstructing the upper part of the engine bay, and also blocking the light. Could do better.

Geoff

D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
I had an ex ‘toyota team europe’ rally mechanic working for me.
We had a toyota mr2 sportscar in for a cam belt, access looked a pig.
I gave him the job and walked up to the bank, by the time I got back the toyotas engine and gearbox complete with its entire rear suspension ,brakes etc were sitting on a 50 gallon oil drum in the workshop.
Its all about having a positive mental attitude apparently ........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Ha ha..youve got me thinking.. cant remember the vehicle but the lift pump went and we recovered it back to the station by feeding it with a can of diesel and a pipe suspended above the engine...
The bedfords were petrol... and they used to get thrashed..:xsurprised:
The mechanic took the rocker cover off one that sounded a bit sick on return to station and there were springs and collets lying around in the cover... not actually sure how ir still ran:LOL::LOL:
Andy.
ive taken valves out of bedfords that were sticks and it still ran

D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
Later on my toyota rally mechanic and my ex wife fell in love so we divorced.
It was a shame
I miss him

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
"The fuel filter will probably be due next year. @dave newell lvs I will be coming to you for this I think!"

What is the motorhome? I ask becaue I recently had to give up on servicing a Rapido A class on Merc chassis as I simply couldn't get into the engine space at all. Post a photo of the engine bay with bonnet open please.
D.

As I doubt that the access shrinks as the vehicle gets older, perhaps you should consider a diet.:xwink:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I had an ex ‘toyota team europe’ rally mechanic working for me.
We had a toyota mr2 sportscar in for a cam belt, access looked a pig.
I gave him the job and walked up to the bank, by the time I got back the toyotas engine and gearbox complete with its entire rear suspension ,brakes etc were sitting on a 50 gallon oil drum in the workshop.
Its all about having a positive mental attitude apparently ........
Did he sort the turbo out for you LOL...

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think our Arto is same model as Jon's.

Access is not best but like him I prefer to pay somebody. Our commercial garage has never complained, or charged extra.

I do think N&B could have hinged the 'bonnet' on top edge, instead of pull forward and slide up, where it is still partly obstructing the upper part of the engine bay, and also blocking the light. Could do better.

Geoff
We used to have an Arto2 like your Geoff but current one is a 3 2010 model so has top hinged bonnet, which gives reasonable access IMHO. The only time (in 64K) its had non routine engine work was in Morocco where they undid the 4 bolts and took the bonnet off. Didnt seem to be a problem.

D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
On some tvr sportscars there was only an access panel to dip the oil etc, to do anything else you undo four bolts and remove the whole bonnet then access is easy.
Like changing a headlamp bulb on an early smart car, the whole front end, both wings ,bumper and bonnet comes off in one piece.
Only about six bolts though from memory.
Bit of a shock to the customer who comes back when its in bits though............
Possibly on some a class they drop the subframe,engine etc for major work ?
I once replaced a ballcock on a concealed cistern in our bathroom by getting my then six year old daughter to reach in and unscrew the ball because my arm wouldn’t fit.
Child labour ,thats the answer !!

OP
OP
D
Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
Here's my access!

Attachments

• IMG_20181212_101154.jpg
    IMG_20181212_101154.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20181212_101216.jpg
    IMG_20181212_101216.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 106
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
That’s mad
Does the front bumper come off easily I wonder ?

OP
OP
D
Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
No, 2.1 4 pot 150BHP.

Dave, ref your question on fuel filter - It looks like you can access it from underneath (when up on a four poster or similar). No chance from the front though I feel.

OP
OP
D
Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
Kuskus - I think yours is just as bad.

Reminds me of a Audi RS6 I had a few years ago (it was a 54 plate V8 twin turbo). Even an oil change was an 'engine out' job:xsurprised::xsurprised::xsurprised:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Here's thee Rapido that beat me. This one has the V6 engine and the fuel filter is in the vee at the rear under the air filter box.

D.

Attachments

• IMG_20181102_101721.jpg
    IMG_20181102_101721.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 98
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Yes ours has the three litre V6, and it looks impossible job.
Hasn't had a fuel filter for three years so will have to attempt it one day.

OP
OP
D
Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
Why do they not think of maintenance when building around these engines and chassis?

D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
We had a lexus LS400 in the garage once with a dodgy starter, only we couldn’t find the starter motor. Phoned Lexus , ‘its in the V of the (V8) engine under the manifold (oh goody) ‘ but whats the reg number ? there was a recall on those’
I said ‘this thing is nearly eight years old ?’
They said ‘it doesn’t matter its still covered, send the car to us and it will be done FOC’
We were impressed and the customer was delighted !

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Should have bought a Swift:whistle: They don't do A class:D2

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It seems to be the Mercedes chassis that is giving the most access problems.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back