A Class Engine Noise (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2020
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 7009
Exp
Since 2002
Being a newbie to European A Class and this forum, I may already be covering old ground and can see there has been some chat about this subject, but there do not appear to be any deep dives into this topic. So I would be interested to hear more and other peoples experiences.

We used to live in America and got used to large US RV's (coach style) which are normally pretty quiet when driving, especially when its a pusher. We have just purchased a new Laika Kreos 7009 and love the fit and feel (apart from a few teething issues), but do find the engine noise to be quite oppressive at anything over 40mph. Over 60mph, the conversation ends!

We have tried other fully integrated MH's and semi's, including Morelos and Carthagos and it appears to be the same throughout. Is this normal? It surprises us that people put up with the noise. Do solutions exist to quieten the noise down, other than 4 inches of carpeting in the cabin? Or is this part of the joy! 🙉

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have added lead filled insulation material on the exterior walls of bulkheads and reduced our tickover dB from 69 to 64. I will be adding some more this winter.
Like you I had a Yankee 12m pusher and the difference is very significant.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Being newbie to European A Class and this forum, I may already be covering old ground and can see there has been some chat about this subject, but there do not appear to be any deep dives into this topic. So I would be interested to hear more and other peoples experiences.

We used to live in America and got used to large US RV's (coach style) which are normally pretty quiet when driving, especially when its a pusher. We have just purchased a new Laika Kreos 7009 and love the fit and feel (apart from a few teething issues), but do find the engine noise to be quite oppressive at anything over 40mph. Over 60mph, the conversation ends!

We have tried other fully integrated MH's and semi's, including Morelos and Carthegos and it appears to be the same throughout. Is this normal? It surprises us that people put up with the noise. Do solutions exist to quieten the noise down, other than 4 inches of carpeting in the cabin? Or is this part of the joy! 🙉

l suppose it is a sort of joy as it cuts down on listening to the wife bleating;)

On a serious note l agree the noise level isn’t acceptable we simply put up with it.
I often think the Designers and Manufacturers don’t actually use their products in earnest otherwise so many issues would be addressed if they appointed a few Ambassadors out in the field and listened to the feedback l feel sure we would all benefit eventually as ideas fed through into Design and Manufacture.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We had a 2017 Dethleffs A class and like you conversation and listening to the radio were impossible at normal speeds, we currently have a 2019 Rollerteam A class and it is fine, it's down to how good a job the manufacturer insulates the under dash area.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
With an A Class the insulation and suppression of noise is down to the constructor and likely to vary between brands and models. In other words you can’t generalise. My Carthago (Fiat) is quieter than my Hymer (Mercedes) but I can only speculate how much is down to the engine and how much down to better sound insulation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
They all have engines and all engines make a noise so the only variable now is "how loud" yes you can put the engine and noise behind you and that makes a big difference, you can add noise deadening insulation as in a lot of cases this will not have been added at the factory and its just the standard van dashboard that they use in most A class, on our factory order we paid for extra insulation in the engine compartment and around the custom built dashboard.

Its a 3 litre diesel engine and when its working pulling around 7t uphill in 6th or 7th gear YES of course you can hear the engine once it flattens out and goes back into 8th gear it is lovely and quiet and any noise is then from the road surface, if we manage to get the perfect combination of 60mph on a lovely smooth road surface it is amazingly smooth and quiet.

As others have said you can get lead lined engine blankets and this might be worthwhile as your first step to reducing some noise, as its and A class the dashboard top is right over the engine and a lot of noise that would normally be going through the bonnet of the van could be getting inside due to poor insulation under the flat dash top.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Fitted semi air suspension, we can now listen to the radio at any speed, couldn't hear the satnav before.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Really ? I can't say I've ever noticed , I can hear my satnav , stereo etc absolutely fine ...yes I can hear the engine but no louder than anything else I've driven that's been diesel ...

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Really ? I can't say I've ever noticed , I can hear my satnav , stereo etc absolutely fine ...yes I can hear the engine but no louder than anything else I've driven that's been diesel ...

Much the same with our Mercedes Hymer S740, nothing louder than other vehicles I've driven and quieter than some. 😁

OP
OP
Chris_H
Sep 23, 2020
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 7009
Exp
Since 2002
It appears that this is all relative to what you think is acceptable. We have tried new Hymers, Morelos and Carthagos and found them all to emit about the same amount noise. I know our Merc truck was much quieter, but then that all probably escaped through the bonnet. So maybe it's as funfair mentioned - its travelling through the dash on an A Class and that is where we need to add sound insulation (the lead stuff).

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
It appears that this is all relative to what you think is acceptable. We have tried new Hymers, Morelos and Carthagos and found them all to emit about the same amount noise. I know our Merc truck was much quieter, but then that all probably escaped through the bonnet. So maybe it's as funfair mentioned - its travelling through the dash on an A Class and that is where we need to add sound insulation (the lead stuff).
Yes all relative. Thats why I downloaded a dB app on the phone and used that to measure sound at tick over in roughly the same place in each van we looked at. Our Flair was 72dB and I have posted the MB Atego Morelo above. The Eurocargo 12ton was an astonishing 82dB! So whilst you can contest the accuracy of any app if you do measurements you achieve an accurate relativity.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
The worst noise in our Carthago is the rattles of the pleated cab window blinds. If one side is ok the other is noisey. I'm sure they weren't like it when new.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I like to drive with my window open a bit and find the tyre noise from mine and particularly other vehicles on motorways the most unpleasant.

Feb 11, 2017
HALSTEAD ESSEX
Funster No
MH
ih VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2001
Did your American RV have the engine at the rear, as this would make a lot of difference, just asking

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
On the majority of European A class vehicles, the dashboard is extended forward to the windscreen with little more than a plywood panel covered in plastic or carpet. The engine bay is directly below this, so more likely the source of engine noise than the cab floor. Next is the steel firewall behind the dashboard

OP
OP
Chris_H
Sep 23, 2020
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 7009
Exp
Since 2002
Had a chat with NoiseKiller in Oldham and going to try one of their small engine mats. Will do test and let you know the results.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Cannot say that Engine Noise has ever been an issue?. I`ve had 3 R-V`s, 2 Puller, one diesel V8, one "gasser" V10 and One Pusher V8 Turbo. The current Mercedes 3L V6 is not IMV that intrusive, In fact the most annoying thing is a "squeak" from the dashboard top which can set your teeth on edge at certain speeds. In fact the last Fiat 2.3 was more intrusive and that in a low profile coach build. In later years I did a fair bit of truck driving, where you spend your time sat right alongside some very big diesel motors, Even sleeping when double manned.

It is however true to say that 20 years of living alongside (very) Large Marine Engines day and night. May have some bearing on the issue for me?. When the noise stopped, you where in trouble!.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back