LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't normally use the Chunnel but got a cheap £56 return, I understand you can often turn up a couple of hours before your booked time and get on the next train.
Question is, for this to work do you have to use the manned booths or will the auto check in ones give you the option?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, auto check-in - but it's the luck of the draw whether you get on an earlier train or not. Sometimes it is offered, other times it's not. Suppose it depends how busy the trains are?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GBS
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You can check in early so long as it within the same crossing price period

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You can also change to a higher price slot by putting your card in.
So long as you don't mind the machine taking a wad from your card balance

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
In addition to the above from @Robert Clark.

If there is an earlier crossing, at a higher price, within the two hour period you will be offered it at the additional cost.

Reactions: GBS
OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Looks like I won't be going eairler as I picked the first train at the cheapest price. doesn't matter as times are very convent.
Out 4:20pm Monday return 8:20pm Tuesday.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Looks like I won't be going eairler as I picked the first train at the cheapest price. doesn't matter as times are very convent.
Cheap crossings are also available from France before lunch

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Will be lucky to make the 8:20pm knowing my dealer.
Should have bought in Germany
Always precise and business like

Belgians drink too much beer

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010

That's the train that we always book outgoing - the cheapest price at a not ridiculous hour in the morning.

Last time we got there a bit early in the hope of being offered a slightly earlier crossing (sometimes we have fallen lucky and been offered this at no extra cost). This time we weren't offered any different crossings. However, we made a move for loading as soon as our letter was called, two letters previous were on the final call, the preceding letter was being called and our letter had just opened. This meant that we managed to cross with the crossing intended for the preceding letter which was about 20 mins earlier.

So, if you keep your eye on the departures board you might be able to get on the train preceding your booked crossing.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
RE the question about the tunnel it is always a bit of a lottery you can turn up early and be on the next train or you can be told you have to wait for your train

we have had both though to be honest we have had more good luck than bad we have even been told go to lane ABCDE and wait for the light to turn green and get waived on to the very next train 3 hours early

Also don't forget to use your Tesco points £10 of points are worth £30 on the tunnel (we have enough for a return crossing at present ) you can only book by telephone though

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
£56 return is brilliant and annoyingly less than our frequent traveller rate :mad:

is that for MH both ways? I think we pay that each way even at our 'privileged rates'

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Also don't forget to use your Tesco points £10 of points are worth £30 on the tunnel (we have enough for a return crossing at present ) you can only book by telephone though
Collect airmiles with them, been to the USA & India completely free before they bought in charges. Don't get many now only on Tesco CC as now shop at Lidl & Aldi.
You can exchange miles for ferry crossings did that for a trip to Ireland

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Collect airmiles with them, been to the USA & India completely free before they bought in charges. Don't get many now only on Tesco CC as now shop at Lidl & Aldi.
You can exchange miles for ferry crossings did that for a trip to Ireland

You can still get some ferry crossings with the big T but not the short channel crossing so the tunnel makes a super fast crossing cheaper

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
£56 return is brilliant and annoyingly less than our frequent traveller rate :mad:

is that for MH both ways? I think we pay that each way even at our 'privileged rates'

@Lenny HB , how did you manage to get return for £56?.

Mickey.
Yes £56 return, Day return/short trip price, going out Monday coming back Tuesday. Not as cheap as when they had My Ferry running did it for £30 then.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
If you don't get offered an earlier time free of charge at the booths you can always go through and "negotiate" at the ticket desk in the main terminal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back