A cautionary note for wilding in Altura in the Algarve (2 Viewers)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Not wishing to scaremonger and not quite sure if the vans were on what is listed as an aire in Altura but we have just had a French couple on this site in Paderne that stayed there on their way to here. They were parked up with about 30 other vans and were asked to move, which they did, but there daughter emailed them to say they had a registered letter from Portugal. Upon investigation it was a fine for 200 euros, obviously traced back via their French registration plate. They were not really wild campers and had no idea that they were doing anything wrong

I wish I could give you more details but much got lost in the translation----- just take care out there as 200 euros pays for a lot of nights on a recognised site

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Or is it like the UK parking company "scams" ? Was it an official council or police letter.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Or is it like the UK parking company "scams" ? Was it an official council or police letter.

Indeed it was official . The fine was paid at the post office . Alan they were on waste ground with as you say around 30 other vans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Perhaps we will wait for Pedro to comment as he translated the letter !!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I find it hard to believe they were fined for PARKING.

Given they were French could they have been fined for CAMPING? They do tend to set up tables, chairs, BBQs etc on arrival anywhere!

Should I be issued with such a "fine" for merely parking they would definitely be challenged over it.

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Lets not split hairs between wilding/camping or parking but I will find out more careful details tomorrow from Pedro as he was the one that translated the letter.

I will re-iterate what I said at first be careful

Quintapedro

Campsite Owner Portugal
Feb 20, 2013
N37"09.24 W008"12.34
Funster No
MH
Motorhome Site
Exp
hello Funesterse

Yes it was for parking/ free camping

The GNR , sayed that they had the car level, whit side windows open anf a step..

Let ne tell you that this tikrt was from January 2014, and they received it 8 months later. ..

i help them to make a letter to see if they dont have to pay.

pedro

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You might think there is no difference between parking and camping but the GNR do.

In Santa Luzia, an on duty GNR man actually told me... not my cousin or the next door neighbour's friend's son in law, that using levelling blocks means you are camping... not parking.

He told me I was fine to stay but others would have to move because I was just parked... no step on the ground... no levelling ramps and they weren't.

Just before Christmas this year, two members of Silves council walked around the vans parked in the swimming pool parking area and talked to a group of us who were sitting outside a van.

They were not there to tell us off but they did not want us to upset the GNR by "camping" with tables and chairs etc out.

Last year the GNR had moved every one off the carpark and the local traders had complained to Council and given them grief.

Now, of course this might be different in different places but I still am willing to bet that not all the vans Alan mentioned in the OP were fined.

I could be wrong... but I looked in my letterbox two days ago and I didn't have any fines and I have off site parked for weeks and weeks and weeks...

I strongly recommend any Funster who is concerned in the slighest about these matters should only overnight on official campsites. Worry would ruin your night(s).

Me?

I will continue living as I have done here in Portugal for decades, keeping my head down, not hanging my washing out on a line tied to a lamp post and/or holding dinner parties outside on the grass.

Next time I am in the area I will check out Altura, just for my own interest of course.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Lets not split hairs between wilding/camping or parking

You have to, as JJ has pointed out in Portugal & Spain you can park & sleep , eat , etc; but you AREN'T 'camping'.
There are even differences between Spain & Portugal. Here you CAN use levelling ramps & are still parked but if you open a window past the wing mirrors then you are camping !!

This shows the new Spanish law & differences between 'parking' & 'camping'
Broken Link Removed

Reactions: JJ
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
When we were in Portugal last year we wild camped with other vans did not use levelling blocks used a shovel to make slight depressions to level van and did not put blinds up untill it was dark. The police came around every day and left us alone. At the end of a week there a large motorhome turned up and put out tables chairs etc the French couple next to us advised us to move on as the police would evict all vans because of the one that was now obviously camping. We moved on and found out a few days later that all vans were evicted the day we left. The rule seems to be look like you are parked and you will be left alone.

Quintapedro

Campsite Owner Portugal
Feb 20, 2013
N37"09.24 W008"12.34
Funster No
MH
Motorhome Site
Exp
You might think there is no difference between parking and camping but the GNR do.

In Santa Luzia, an on duty GNR man actually told me... not my cousin or the next door neighbour's friend's son in law, that using levelling blocks means you are camping... not parking.

He told me I was fine to stay but others would have to move because I was just parked... no step on the ground... no levelling ramps and they weren't.

Just before Christmas this year, two members of Silves council walked around the vans parked in the swimming pool parking area and talked to a group of us who were sitting outside a van.

They were not there to tell us off but they did not want us to upset the GNR by "camping" with tables and chairs etc out.

Last year the GNR had moved every one off the carpark and the local traders had complained to Council and given them grief.

Now, of course this might be different in different places but I still am willing to bet that not all the vans Alan mentioned in the OP were fined.

I could be wrong... but I looked in my letterbox two days ago and I didn't have any fines and I have off site parked for weeks and weeks and weeks...

I strongly recommend any Funster who is concerned in the slighest about these matters should only overnight on official campsites. Worry would ruin your night(s).

Me?

I will continue living as I have done here in Portugal for decades, keeping my head down, not hanging my washing out on a line tied to a lamp post and/or holding dinner parties outside on the grass.

Next time I am in the area I will check out Altura, just for my own interest of course.

Hello JJ

Some friends told me that now ( since septembre) is allowed to motorhomes park ( free camping) there, I think that the owners from the shops and restaurants made an proposal to the Camera of Castro Marim asking for let the Motorhome fans stay there.
So if you please confirm that, whit out having a ticket; -)
Pedro

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
It is mainly the french who gets chairs and tables and parties on these unofficial parking places.
Then as they get away with it. We follow them.
Then we get thrown off.
If we all followed the rules we would probably be left to PARK ands sleep.
We rarely free camp now as we fear getting woken up at all hours, maybe fined as well and use official Aires.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We wild camped/parked at Praia Amado Portugal for 7 nights last week, police came by every day, no problem at all.
Mind you they were never around when the French bloke next to us took his toilet cassette and emptied it behind a bush not more than 20 metres away, in broad Daylight!!!! He did this twice to my knowledge.
Filthy ba&@£::bigsmile:!
We've been out now since 1st October & it's become apparent that the French are by far the worst offenders for this type of thing.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We have found that the French are also the worst offenders here on the camperstop. They are the ones we caught who were trying to wash their toilet cassette in the sink when there is a perfectly good tap next to the toilet emptying point. They were also caught about to wash their dirty (dog messed) shoe in the same sink.

We also, some years ago, cycled up a hill behind a French van. When we reached the top and pulled up for a break, we found a freshly emptied toilet dump right at the side of the road.

We have many French friends and know that they are not all like this, but the ones who travel here in the winter seem to be some of the worst.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My friend Pedro... Castro Marim has an official aire with a waste point and water (using those coin like thingies) and people stay there free.

Bob and Janie and I were there late last year... watch out for Jehovah Witnesses though...

The main thing for me is it has a drive over manhole so I can easily empty my black tank there. (If I haven't just dumped it in layby that is...)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back