A bit off the top she said!!! (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well the wildlife are not happy about this:LOL:

As we are spending another winter at home instead of in the van someplace nice and sunny the boss decided we would do some pruning in the garden;)

Take a bit off the fir tree she said,

IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2557.JPG

Well how much is a bit?

IMG_2563.JPG

Apparently I have ruined it now:LOL:

IMG_2565.JPG

So we are well past the point of no return now,

IMG_2567.JPG

So at this point I got a man in with a chainsaw(y)

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2571.JPG

So three hours later and we have a bit of a mess to clear up.

IMG_2572.JPG

This little shredder takes anything 30mm and down and "boy has it done some work" 3 days and it's all shredded or logged with my new cordless chainsaw.

The garden isn't the same without it BUT it had just got too big and the neighbours kept whinging.

Martin

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
You'll want your sunglasses now...

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Oh Heck Martin. it is a amazing how sometimes things we plant a nice little trees as a feature can slowly take over, I'm sure you will miss it though, bet Jen will be careful what she asks for next time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Think of all the pricking and repotting that would have saved you.

As you can see gardening isn't my forte.... Grass is still too short to get fuel for the ride on mower.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Looking at the other 'stumps' in the garden it looks like you have 'previous' Martin :)

We bought a slightly bigger Bosch version of your shredder, brilliant tools, and the garden loves the mulch (y)

BTW we have a neighbour like yours, I sacrificed a lovely silver birch to stop their nagging last year, caught him yesterday leaning over my fence cutting back my clematis Oh Please!, he stopped very quickly :LOL:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If you're bored next weekend, we've got a few to deal with
images (5).jpg

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It will look strange for a little while, but believe me you will be so glad it’s gone once other things in the garden get going. Soon you will realise how much nicer it is without it.:)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Martin - we did the same thing last Monday!

649A653F-64B0-4708-86C4-5435FD08D16E.jpeg

Out of sight to the left is a man with a chain saw - it was down, chopped up and shredded within an hour!

We think it was a Christmas tree planted about 30 years ago, but frankly looked ridiculous sticking up from the middle of the hedge!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Our twit next door only plants ivy or Christmas trees. But lucky for me the idiot is no good at being a gardener . The only thing that grew was a Christmas tree . And that fell over when someone lent on it.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Brilliant. How was your battery chain saw? i was talked into getting a battery hedge trimmer (Husquavana) last year and it fabulous.
It's a Stihl, the smallest one they do but it works a treat OK you have to keep charging the battery but if you are just doing 20 minutes cutting it will last.

Martin

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Chainsaw envy:eek: a 28" Stihl !!! Bet he had that down in a few mins.

Makes mine look like a toy.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Looking at the other 'stumps' in the garden it looks like you have 'previous' Martin :)

We bought a slightly bigger Bosch version of your shredder, brilliant tools, and the garden loves the mulch (y)

BTW we have a neighbour like yours, I sacrificed a lovely silver birch to stop their nagging last year, caught him yesterday leaning over my fence cutting back my clematis Oh Please!, he stopped very quickly :LOL:
The other stump is now a bird table courtesy of a cut from the big tree.

Yes the chipping are great on the garden for keeping weeds down, which is of course what we want as we want to be away in the van(y)

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I hope elf n safety were no where around in photo 3.
The elf N safety bit is cut all the lower branches off and leave them on the floor for a soft landing, and hold on tight.

I draw the line at taking a chain saw up a tree though.

Martin

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Its amazing how many hours you can spend shredding branches in a Bosch shredder, I have had ours many years, lent it neighbour, big mistake. He shredded branches that had been laying on dirt for months, he wrecked the spiral cutting blade, as his branches had dirt attached. I found a new blade for ÂŁ85 on line, it took a couple of hours to strip the machine down, get cir-clips out, grease up and put back together. (Thanks You Tube).
I also invested in two electric chains saws, one is a lopper on an extendable pole, great for reaching branches from the ground. The other is a 2KW chain saw with a short blade about 15 inches long.
I got them at screw fix a few years back, Titan is the make I think, made in the US. Watching reviews on you tube convinced me to get one over a petrol.
I was a bit cheeky with the first one though, used it to cut down a row of large conifers, it didn't use much chain oil, blade was never overly oiled, so I took it back well used by now, and they changed it for a new one.(y):)
I have a Sthil FS90 Double handed (bullhorn shaped handle) strimmer, and a leaf blower, I could not do without them as tenants always leave our property with overgrown lawns, they cover a huge area very quickly.
Best outdoor tools I ever bought.
I like your new sunny aspect, greenhouse will also.(y)
Well done Martin.
Les

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Anyone in essex want to try their hand on a couple of Eucalyptus trees - they are BIG ! My wife says they have to go, the local florist would love them as its good for floristry and expensive to buy but cant take them down, the local zoo dont have any koalas to feed ...

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Its amazing how many hours you can spend shredding branches in a Bosch shredder, I have had ours many years, lent it neighbour, big mistake. He shredded branches that had been laying on dirt for months, he wrecked the spiral cutting blade, as his branches had dirt attached. I found a new blade for ÂŁ85 on line, it took a couple of hours to strip the machine down, get cir-clips out, grease up and put back together. (Thanks You Tube).
I also invested in two electric chains saws, one is a lopper on an extendable pole, great for reaching branches from the ground. The other is a 2KW chain saw with a short blade about 15 inches long.
I got them at screw fix a few years back, Titan is the make I think, made in the US. Watching reviews on you tube convinced me to get one over a petrol.
I was a bit cheeky with the first one though, used it to cut down a row of large conifers, it didn't use much chain oil, blade was never overly oiled, so I took it back well used by now, and they changed it for a new one.(y):)
I have a Sthil FS90 Double handed (bullhorn shaped handle) strimmer, and a leaf blower, I could not do without them as tenants always leave our property with overgrown lawns, they cover a huge area very quickly.
Best outdoor tools I ever bought.
I like your new sunny aspect, greenhouse will also.(y)
Well done Martin.
Les
My Mum had alzheimers and needed a bit of looking after so we would bring her to our house on a weekend, she was in her element if we stood her by the shredder with a pile of branches to go through, we got the shredding done for free and we knew where she was.

The position of the tree actually meant that we never got the shade from it but the neighbours did;)

Martin

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
My son Joe had to "top" a couple of trees yesterday so they can "skyline" out the felled timber. Was a bit blowy, but had to be done as the extraction starts today. He sent me a video from his phone but I don't know how to link it, but I've turned it into a gif that should play.
VID-20190324-WA0003_1.gif

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My son Joe had to "top" a couple of trees yesterday so they can "skyline" out the felled timber. Was a bit blowy, but had to be done as the extraction starts today. He sent me a video from his phone but I don't know how to link it, but I've turned it into a gif that should play.
View attachment 292184
That looks like a scary ride.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well a few days hard work and all cleared away now, we have just been rewarded by watching a barn owl quartering the field behind us looking for a meal, OK we would have seen it without taking the tree down but nice anyway(y)

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back