Free Member
Mar 30, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Euromobil 695EB Profila
Exp
Since 1995
My Anna is now 8 1/2 months old, has mastered the sit, paw, lay down, roll over and travels very well in the car and ignores other dogs and animals when out on the lead.

Prior to getting her I am pretty sure she had never been to Africa, nor been to a zoo or animal park, so what the heck is triggering to go crazy at the television whenever an image of an elephant, horse, giraffe, hippo or other exotic animals appears in trailers or adverts? Even the CGI Meerkats get the verbals.

We have to monitor closely now with finger poised over channel button, lest something pops up and she goes into 'Lunatic' mode for a minute.............I was always of the understanding dogs could only see objects that moved in 3 d and shades of grey, not pictures or still images.
She faces being banned from the TV room if she continues.

Anyone else have a similar problem with the hound at home.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
IMG_0060.JPG
My only problem is door bells. If one sounds on a TV program he immediately starts barking and dashes to the front door to attack the invisible intruder! He does however like watching animal programs but I noticed he left the room when Supervet was on the other night. Squeamish little hound, but I love him to bits.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Prior to getting her I am pretty sure she had never been to Africa, nor been to a zoo or animal park, so what the heck is triggering to go crazy at the television whenever an image of an elephant, horse, giraffe, hippo or other exotic animals appears in trailers or adverts? Even the CGI Meerkats get the verbals.
Exactly the same with our JR, but with an embarrassing twist. She also goes berserk if a black man, (only men), of African decent pops up...........We have to be very careful when Clive Myrie is reading the news. :confused:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Cal54
Is there a dog in that picture somewhere?

Must have learned the art of camouflage from the SAS,:whistle:

Certainly knows how to make himself comfortable.:)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Ours barks when anything resembling an animal appears on screen even cartoon dogs and cats. Took us 5 hours to watch the Lion King t'other evening as we had to keep pausing to shut her up.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Seems to be a common trait. Both our Whippets recognise cartoon / CGI / real animals on telly. Some they just watch closely, others get the full noise. They also respond to TV door knocks & doorbells.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Pepper barks and runs at the television if there's an animal on and if they go, she looks behind the television to see where they got out. The ones she's really not sure about are the meerkats from Compare the Market. I think she realises they're animals but on 2 legs and talking?
meet_the_meerkats_main_image_mobile.png

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
The only time one of mine has ever shown an interest was 1) when a pack of wolves started howling and 2. Just one particular episode of Paul O'Grady For The Love Of Dogs was on. Phoebe sat on my knee absolutely riveted!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
My Sasha would also sit in front of the screen mesmerised by any animal on tv. . . Just occasionally walking round the back of it to see where they had disappeared to . . Then give a little 'ggrrruff' as she sat down in front of tv again.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We had a black cat once that watched the telly and there was a western on, a stage coach being chased by the Indians and as the horses and coach raced across the screen the cat jumped out at the side of the tv to catch them and was really surprised when nothing emerged.

John.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back