A bit Heavy..I think! (1 Viewer)

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Ours in Lancing is open 24 hours a day and is free. We used it for the first time last week and found we had 100kg left to play with. We didn't have our electric bikes which are 44kg for the two of them or the new awning which is 25 kg. We did have a full tank of water and everything else we needed for a weekend away. We really have got to be careful in future.

Being fairly newish to motor homing I just wondered if many people get stopped and checked. Not that we are going to overload on purpose but wondered what the penalty is if we should be slightly over.

Thankfully I live near the free one mentioned by The cruisers, even allowing for bad inaccuracy I still had 450kg spare @ 3050kg.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
£8.50 here for two weights...... we usually do full van and then back axle, and includes the print out. That is at a local haulage company.

We weigh ours every year with both of us in, full water and fuel plus the usual load (except fresh food) as if we are ready to go. I know that weight will change constantly as we use fuel and water but it gives me peace of mind that we are legal and have payload left.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Trading standards at Morley, 24/7 drive through FREE
25 mins from my house will be using this one.
Picking up my MH on Sat and will be using it on my way home.
Weighed the wife's car last weekend there to see how it worked. Can in at less than a ton 940 I think. But then again it's only a C1

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Does anybody know the price of a weighbridge to install and keep it maintained???????????????????????????????
I maintained and operated a weighbridge at work, initial cost circa £16k (20 years ago) and six monthly calibration and testing at £1200 a go. This was an above ground installation, in ground costs more.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it doesn't you have a problem, but in practice if there is a steep ramp onto the plate that can give inaccurate axle readings as some of the weight could be transferred to the axle on the ramp.
Totaling the two axles is the way dynamic weighbridges work.
To weigh properly the wheels NOT being weighed should be as close to the platform as possible without touching it.....even if they are still on a slope.
That will negate any inaccuracy caused by steep approach ramps where the centre of gravity is forced towards the lower wheels.
Imagine a pendulum in the centre of the vehicle....it needs to be as plumb as possible to put the most weight in the centre.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
25 mins from my house will be using this one.
Picking up my MH on Sat and will be using it on my way home.
Weighed the wife's car last weekend there to see how it worked. Can in at less than a ton 940 I think. But then again it's only a C1

That the one we use and being a yarkshire lad it's good value

We do like free

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Ours is free to weigh front, back and total.
£5 for a print-out which I can't help but think is pointless as it only says what you weighed-in at on the day, at a specific time, nothing to do with when you actually set out on the road - and this changes all the time with use of fuel/ addition of shopping etc, so can't be of any value as a defence to anything, can it?
Can anybody tell me why a printout is useful please?
You are correct in thinking that the print out is largely useless for motorhome users.

In the commercial world (trucks etc) the print out can be of use because if it is produced at a later point most DVSA (old VOSA) and police officers will not bother to weight the vehicle again if they are relatively sure that nothing else has been added to the load. This saves the driver quite a bit of time and may also avoid a deviation from the route to a weighbridge.

Reactions: CWH
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Does anybody know the price of a weighbridge to install and keep it maintained???????????????????????????????
Difficult to say as there are so many different types (dynamic, static, multi-plate etc) and, of course different manufacturers. Suffice to say that it take a massive number of weighs to pay this back but then most weighbridges, particularly single plate static types have a tremendously long life. Against that you do need to factor in costs of running the bridge (electricity, wages etc).

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Seems to be much cheaper to use a weighbridge here in France. I have used a couple and have never paid more than 2€ for one with a print out. The first time I weighted our van which was fully loaded with fuel, water and food I was surprised to find I was about 200 kilos below the max. That just about covers me for when I want to carry our scooter.

Reactions: CWH

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
No.
Podmore metal merchants Orchard st WA1 2TE (y)
Thks, right in the middle of town, use round there as a short cut if busy at the cockhedge and never seen it
The outlaws used to work at lockers who had one but no longer there so handy info(y)
Did you have any problems with getting M/H down there?

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
We're only 6m so no problem would say if you came from Manchester road end into Church st & turn right into Orchard st Podmores would be on your right(y)

With the weigh bridge directly in front of you as you turn in some of the metal collection trucks that go in are huge. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back