Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
@John Giblin
Yes you were royaly shafted but for future reference McGuiness's Longport, bottom of Porthill bank have a weighbridge and charge £20 with a printout.
Edit. That's for all three, front rear and both axles

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think you will find its a lot cheaper than the fine for being overloaded.

Weighbridge will need regular calibration, that will not be cheap.
Up to 5% ,nothing & up to 10% = £100 . The op's nearly paid that already.lol

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
After all of two minutes weighing total, front and rear axle weight I was given the bill of £72. (£20 x 3 + VAT)

Is it me? Or does anyone else think this is over the top, cost-wise?

It was way over the top.. but they can charge what they like.. it's called capitalism.. the free market economy..

They are expensive to buy and install but last a lifetime with little maintenance.. other than lubrication and cleaning..

Also, It does not cost a ''small fortune' to calibrate a weigh bridge.. it was one of the jobs I did when employed at Shell Haven Oil refinery as an Instrument Technician..

Modern weigh bridges have an auto calibration for zero and span, which the operator checks daily.. they only require a physical calibration every six months with weights .. which takes about 2 hours.. most of that time spent drinking tea with the operator..

My advice.. shop around and ask the price before booking or driving onto the weighbridge..

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Front,back and together with printout. £5-00 in Lincoln. Nearly pay for your diesel to come down to visit Mike. ps Will bring that missing part to Misterton
Which one is that one please.
I might be passing nearby Lincoln on my way home.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Ours is free to weigh front, back and total.
£5 for a print-out which I can't help but think is pointless as it only says what you weighed-in at on the day, at a specific time, nothing to do with when you actually set out on the road - and this changes all the time with use of fuel/ addition of shopping etc, so can't be of any value as a defence to anything, can it?
Can anybody tell me why a printout is useful please?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We pay £10 for a print out for two weights, any combination of front, back or total. A print out, as said above, is useful as a reminder but whilst it is no defence if found inadvertently overweight it does suggest you have made the effort to check and are aware of the limitations.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
SHAFTED.
Totally your own fault ASK FIRST. You cannot object afterwards. I paid £5 per weight and that was cheap, Parkers in Canterbury with all the steel shards all over the place, Wanted £15 per weigh. The other one That I went to first, at the recycling depot, was so far our I panicked that I had bought a huge mistake. But the van was right on the money. within 20kgs. when I got it done again at the Grain depot.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Out of interest can I ask when you drive on weigh the front, then weigh the rear axle does it add up to the total when weighed?

Might sound obvious, but I'd be interested if it works in practice

Andrew

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Out of interest can I ask when you drive on weigh the front, then weigh the rear axle does it add up to the total when weighed?

Might sound obvious, but I'd be interested if it works in practice

Andrew
If it doesn't you have a problem, but in practice if there is a steep ramp onto the plate that can give inaccurate axle readings as some of the weight could be transferred to the axle on the ramp.
Totaling the two axles is the way dynamic weighbridges work.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ours in Lancing is open 24 hours a day and is free. We used it for the first time last week and found we had 100kg left to play with. We didn't have our electric bikes which are 44kg for the two of them or the new awning which is 25 kg. We did have a full tank of water and everything else we needed for a weekend away. We really have got to be careful in future.
We use that one regularly only a couple of miles from home. I do find results can vary depending on how centred you are and how fast you drive over the plate it can vary by 30-40kg I always take the average of 3 readings.
I do wonder how accurate the are at 3-4 tonne as they are calibrated at 17-18 tonne with a tolerance of +/- 110kg for a dynamic weighbridge. Now to contradict myself having played about taking heavy containers out of my garage they seem to record the 20kg weight difference OK and using strain gauge technology they should be fairly accurate. I wonder if the tolerances were set for older technology.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Is it so you can remember it?!!;)
Ah well, see, I have a pen & a notebook/logbook/journal for that ... (y):rolleyes::whistle::LOL::sneaky::cautious::)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-of-practice-enforcement-weighing-of-vehicles

Extract..

Static and
dynamic weighting tolerances..

Appendix 4: Accuracy testing for axle weighers

A4.1 Introduction
The equipment is to be tested by the direct application of weights distributed evenly across the weighbeam. When the equipment is new or following a repair, adjustment, alteration or replacement which, in the opinion of an Inspector of Weights and Measures or a person authorised by a notified body operating under Directive 2009/23/EC could have affected its accuracy, the weigher must indicate the weight applied to within the tolerance +/-10kg. When otherwise tested the weigher must indicate the weight applied to within a tolerance of +/- 20kg.

When the equipment is tested by the passage of vehicles whose weights have previously been determined on a conventional weighbridge, the total weight of the vehicle as determined by the aggregation of the weights recorded for its individual axles must not differ from that indicated on the conventional weighbridge by more than +/- 100kg multiplied by the number of axles.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
If you're paying the sort of money that the OP paid, these are worth a look?
(From main page, go to 'products' then scroll down to scales picture on the right).

www.vancomfort.co.uk

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
You try telling swmbo she can't take her gin, tonic, clothes for every eventuality, hair dryer, rollers, wine, more clothes, shoes and more shoes ...and she wants a full tank of water, and let's not mention toiletries!!!!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
If you're paying the sort of money that the OP paid, these are worth a look?
(From main page, go to 'products' then scroll down to scales picture on the right).

www.vancomfort.co.uk

These have been discussed on Fun before, not sure what the consensus or the accuracy was.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
£15 in Warrington.
Thankfully I've got a spare 233kg after I'm fully loaded (pvc)

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
"Cobra" over the boarder in Middlesbrough £3 .......
Used them lots of times easy.
D

Bazzermc

Free Member
Feb 7, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I'm a newbie
"Thamesdown Recycling on the A419 near Cricklade" - is £10 this year for whole vehicle single axle and printout.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
I don't understand why anyone would get into that situation. One of the first things I ask when I ring up one of the public weighbridges on the list is how much it will cost to weigh my motorhome. I wouldn't travel there not knowing how much it was going to cost me. Don't know why anyone would?

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
The op can't have come from Yorkshire as every conversation there starts and ends with "how much"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back