90 DAYS PLUS EU breakdown cover (1 Viewer)

BARRY WILLS

Free Member
Jun 28, 2017
swindon
Funster No
MH
A CLASS PILOTE GALAXY
Exp
I cannot seem to find breakdown /recovery cover for over 90 days , any recommendations, many thanks Barry.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Without digging out paperwork I'm fairly certain we get breakdown/recovery included in our insurance with Safeguard ins unlimited.

But we also took out a separate policy with the AA for 12 months European cover for our trip to the canaries which we could swap over to cover the car from the campervan with a phone call cost around Ā£130

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
ADAC offer recovery, I have not used it myself but others had, this must offer breakdown recovery for all EU presumably over 90 days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
X if you are doing insurance as well Comfort insurance only Ā£62 but I think it's only with insurance worth a call though.

Tracy George

T:
info@comfort-insurance.co.uk

Our opening hours are 8:30 am - 7:00 pm Monday to Friday & 9:30 am - 3:30 pm on Saturdays

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you're over 50 Saga do 365 day breakdown cover but again may only be available with insurance and not a standalone.

Britannia Rescue might be worth a call. Doesn't show on website how long a trip can be but it's definitely an annual policy.

Denise

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Dare I mention a Nationwide FlexAccount which provides breakdown cover for a trip of up to 180 days.
As you might have seen on another thread the monthly account fee will be increased from Ā£10 to Ā£13pcm but includes other benefits in addition to breakdown cover.

OP
OP
B

BARRY WILLS

Free Member
Jun 28, 2017
swindon
Funster No
MH
A CLASS PILOTE GALAXY
Exp
sorry I meant to say more than 90 days in one trip ,we intend to be away 6-7 months in one go before returning to uk even the RAC ARRIVAL will only cover 90 days ? and that's Ā£240 ! all help appreciated.

Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globus T1
Exp
since approx 2009
We have been with ADAC for several years - only used it for the first time this year in Spain. Yes we were recovered to a garage (even though we said we needed a 'technico' to assess the van they just sent recovery straight away and we ended up initially at a garage that could not help as they had no hydraulic ramps to lift the van - being late in the afternoon we were then left sleeping overnight in the van outside said garage with lorries clunking passed all night.... early next morning very luckily finding for ourselves a helpful garage nearby who could look at it - which the breakdown folk eventually approved !!) ..... yes the van got mended - after it took over a long weekend to get the part, yes we were put in a hotel for 3 nights .. (after the street night) .. (just B&B) . We did however have to spend hours on the phone and have a lot of stress. The Germans handed the case to the Spanish breakdown 'people' (sub-contract?) , they were awful at communicating - promised to call back 'within half an hour' ...... some - hot - hours later we waited (in the meantime having phoned Germany several times - once getting put through to a guy in Lithuania who wanted to be helpful but couldn't be) - this became the pattern - problems with language - my Spanish regarding breakdown stuff is pretty limited, we did manage to speak to some folk with English but it was not ideal - lots of misunderstanding (I accept that I feel feeble in my language skills compared to many European counterparts even though I try). We were put in a hotel way out of town by an industrial estate - a sort of motel - and given the wrong directions ..... (they said they had contracts with certain places and there was no choice - had the girl on reception and other staff not been so kind, and we so exhausted, we would have gone into town the next morning to find our own place) .....
So having said for years 'ADAC is great', I would just caution that in Spain I understand they subcontract locally and our experience was not easy at all. Once ADAC in Germany hand you over they claim they can't trace your case or intervene. Maybe that is not typical? maybe depends where you are travelling.
We have just taken the Nationwide Flexaccount - they offer within the package full European breakdown and recovery (might be Britannia) through a UK phone number - I think it is any one trip of up to 180 days. They also include worldwide health cover - we have paid an extra premium of Ā£100 to cover this for trips up to 106 days (they would do more - we are 59 and 70 young) - so for a fee of Ā£220 for the year we will get full breakdown recovery, and health/travel (and mobile phone cover and a few other things) We reckon not bad.
Were also offered breakdown that sounded pretty OK with several insurance quotes - this seems to have come down in price since we last enquired some years back (while having ADAC we just said we did not need it so never compared the price)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
RAC hand over to euro assist in France had good English spoken but again passed to a third party. I'm 4.5 ton 7m tag axel they sent a transit van with twin rear wheels to lift us on a spectacle frame. We travelled about 10 miles and the front of the transit was lifting all the way.

OP
OP
B

BARRY WILLS

Free Member
Jun 28, 2017
swindon
Funster No
MH
A CLASS PILOTE GALAXY
Exp
thanks for all your help, FYI I'm going with Brittania/LV they will cover any age "vehicle", ours is 16 years old, cover is the standard 7mtrs 3,5 ton limit we are just under that, for up to 180 days on a single trip and UK for Ā£134 pretty good I think ?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
No mention on this thread of Safeguard (Swinton)
I've been quoted "Any length of stay""Any No. of Miles per year"

Has someone been telling fairy tales in my discussions with them? I ask because we're negotiating renewal, long distance , so to speak as we're in France and the renewal is due, just after we get back.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
No mention on this thread of Safeguard (Swinton)
I've been quoted "Any length of stay""Any No. of Miles per year"

Has someone been telling fairy tales in my discussions with them? I ask because we're negotiating renewal, long distance , so to speak as we're in France and the renewal is due, just after we get back.

Without digging out paperwork I'm fairly certain we get breakdown/recovery included in our insurance with Safeguard ins unlimited.

But we also took out a separate policy with the AA for 12 months European cover for our trip to the canaries which we could swap over to cover the car from the campervan with a phone call cost around Ā£130

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Our Nationwide Flex Plus account covers everything we drive for Ā£13 a month. Plus lots of other benefits
I'm with Lloyds and have breakdown cover but it's only up to 3500kgs and 90 days cover abroad. Now with ADAC 365 days in europe and UK @ā‚¬110 for two of us in any vehicle we are in.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I'm with Lloyds and have breakdown cover but it's only up to 3500kgs and 90 days cover abroad. Now with ADAC 365 days in europe and UK @ā‚¬110 for two of us in any vehicle we are in.

We used to have ADAC. But no point in paying when we have the Nationwide account that covers us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back