Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We've just insured our new to us van with Comfort. We've been with them for five years and think their quotes are pretty good.
This time, for the first time, they asked if we were planning to rent out our house and travel for long periods. They also said that our insurance only covers us for 90 days outside of the UK.
We're planning to cross over to France mid September and just come back when we've had enough. We're not likely to want to stay away for more than 90 days so I didn't want to pay extra on the off chance but who knows? We might love it so much that we stay longer.
Does it work to phone the insurers and ask for an extension if we do want to stay longer?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Thing is, if you are out of the UK for more than 180 days, I understand that means you are no longer a resident in the UK?
I have a full timing policy.
According to comfort, you need to have a property, or long term rental of at least 9 months, and be on the electoral role for unlimited green card.
I am on electoral roll, but renting room, which doesn't count, hence full timing policy.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@Theonlysue Full time is different from extended trips..

@Mags52 you are aren't going full time are you

or mention the 'F' word to them ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
No we're not going full time so that's not the issue. I assumed that the renewal was with Comfort. Need to check now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Well it seems that we're now insured with Aviva. Must have lost the plot along the way somewhere. ;)
I've looked at the policy and there is no mention of the 90 days limit although the agent on the phone asked me if we were planning being away for more than 90 days. It does say that we have to have a permanent address in the UK and be on the Electoral Roll, which of course we are. I suppose I should phone and ask if there is a 90 day limit or whether it was just checking that we weren't going full time.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I may be talking out of my posterior aspect but .....
You can probably still pull out of that insurance & re-insure with Comfort with unlimited trips?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I may be talking out of my posterior aspect but .....
You can probably still pull out of that insurance & re-insure with Comfort with unlimited trips?

Comfort is underwritten by Aviva so same policy....
MHF the other one that's not any FUN, their policy is though Aviva and exactly same as Comfort..

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Comfort is underwritten by Aviva so same policy....
MHF the other one that's not any FUN, their policy is though Aviva and exactly same as Comfort..
Oh OK, seemed like a good idea :( but I know I've had different conditions from same underwriters but different 'retailers' before now on other things.....?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Comfort may be underwritten by Aviva, but they may have their own policy details.
Has anyone checked to see if they are the same?
Do aviva have their own full timers policy?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Aviva don't do motorhome insurance direct now according to their website.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Well I didn't want to admit it but we were insured with MHF when it was still relatively ok. (No longer subscribing) I've stayed with them because they always give a good renewal price. It used to say Comfort on the paperwork and now it ways Aviva. Either way there is no actual mention of the 90 days on the policy. I'll phone them and check.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back