90 days in 180 (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I was told by the spanish back in january/february that the delay for the cards was due to the fact that the EU wanted a standardised one able to be interpreted in all EU states ?

I've just read an article in the Algarve Daily News quoting information from the British Embassy in Portugal saying that a procedure for obtaining the new biometric cards will be rolled out in January, further information to follow.

The old document will still be valid.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've just read an article in the Algarve Daily News quoting information from the British Embassy in Portugal saying that a procedure for obtaining the new biometric cards will be rolled out in January, further information to follow.

The old document will still be valid.
sounds the same as here. As I said I only changed to the card as driving all the time it would appear to make things easier in other countries.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
So much irony...
You do know the reason why don't you...because of barmy EU rules that stop the UK from favouring a UK firm...it had to go out to tender and the French or anyone else could equally apply...😉

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
With respect I will just clarify for those in doubt, that what is usually called "Freedom Of Movement" is not related to Schengen in any way. FOM is freedom to go and set up in an EU country, it does not refer to freedom of travel. Schengen is a travel area with normally no passport checks on the borders between Schengen countries.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
You do know the reason why don't you...because of barmy EU rules that stop the UK from favouring a UK firm...it had to go out to tender and the French or anyone else could equally apply...😉

Yep and any British firm could tender for any contract out for award across the rest of Europe. This of course will be changing, subject to the trade agreement.
have to wait and see what happens. Not long to wait for that “chicken to come out the oven” (y)

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I could be in a ridiculous situation s I have been in Poland for years based on UK membership of EU and then the Transition Period.s free movement. So ggodness knows how many days prior to 31st Dec 2020.

I want to apply for Polish Residency but the Polish government will not process UK applications before 1st Jan 2021.

So if they count days in Schengen before 31st Dec I could be an 'overstayer' on 1st Jan. There must be many more people in similar situations.

I think that is highly unlikely and that they will have to drop any idea about counting days before 1st Jan.

Geoff
Can’t really see how any Schengen country can count days before 1st January 2021 because the ruling doesn’t come into force until then, but you can rely on the British authorities to muddy the waters.
I could be in a ridiculous situation s I have been in Poland for years based on UK membership of EU and then the Transition Period.s free movement. So ggodness knows how many days prior to 31st Dec 2020.

I want to apply for Polish Residency but the Polish government will not process UK applications before 1st Jan 2021.

So if they count days in Schengen before 31st Dec I could be an 'overstayer' on 1st Jan. There must be many more people in similar situations.

I think that is highly unlikely and that they will have to drop any idea about counting days before 1st Jan.

Geoff

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Not trying to stir up racist comments we have about 4,000 Polish here (working) do you know how that will affect them ?
Well I don’t think our government neither knows or really cares who’s in our country from “over there” so I don’t really think it will affect any of them, they will probably offer to put them up in a hotel or b&b.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It's no different to any other product take Dyson for example ....

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Well I don’t think our government neither knows or really cares who’s in our country from “over there” so I don’t really think it will affect any of them, they will probably offer to put them up in a hotel or b&b.

I answered AC/DC about Polish, or any other EU citizens already in UK in an earlier post but it is too far back to find.

All people from EU currently in UK can apply for 'Pre-Settled' or 'Settled' status and remain in UK.

Geoff.

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
The question of when the clock starts is worth asking, but look at it: say you have been in Schengen for more than 90 days as of 31/12/2020; let's say 100 days. That's perfectly legal. Come 1/1/2021 are you suddenly illegal, based on that time before 31/12/2020? If so, what if you leave Schengen on 31/12/2020? Do you still retrospectively become an offender on that same basis of the 100 days in 2020? Because it is equally true in that 2nd case that as of 1/1/2021 you have spent more than 90 days out of the last 180 in Schengen.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
I saw yesterday on another site a letter from the EU Commission confirming that the 180 Days count does not start until January 1st 2021. Amended - Copy of email from EU Commission confirming above and contact details should you wish to check directly.
1602230725344.png

1602230795012.png

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Imagine having a tender process that is transparent across the EU. Much better to replace it with giving public contracts to your mates. https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/op...-45m-for-failing-covid-test-and-trace-scheme/
Ah but the British prefer to do it that way .

It's like taking your car to the bakers for a service in the UK .

Lots of companies paid to provide ppe and make ventilators with absolutely no previous experience in that field.

Because heaven forbid we get an experienced professional company in the EU to do it.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Imagine having a tender process that is transparent across the EU. Much better to replace it with giving public contracts to your mates. https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/op...-45m-for-failing-covid-test-and-trace-scheme/
When I was involved in buying fleet for the fire service we had to advertise for fire appliances (fire engines) throughout Europe, even though European manufacturers did not build to U.K. specification. Every tender had to be advertised throughout Europe, with the consequent expense and delay. No European country ever made a tender as it would have been too expensive for them to retool and redesign from their own specs.

U.K. manufacturers had their design tenders ready to go but we had to allow at least 90 days for the EU to respond. Some U.K. manufacturers went out of business waiting for the tender process to conclude as they were mostly small quantity producers and hit cash flow problems.

It is not a case of giving public contracts to mates, it is a matter of using common sense.

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
Several of my friends really liked the idea of moving to Scotland but eventually returned because they became depressed after a year or so... the grey, wet and cold winter weather got to them. Frankly, like a lot of countries, I think you have to be brought up there to tolerate it. Obviously, it is not always raining but, they do seem to have their fair share!

We intended to go for three weeks a couple of years ago to visit distant family and friends and tour some of the islands. However, in the preceding weeks the whole of Western Scotland seemed to be covered in black clouds and heavy rain. Finally, the week before we were due to go it was still almost constant rain... we got nervous and at the last minute pulled out and did a tour of north and south Wales instead. The weather in Wales was glorious and we had a great trip... unfortunately, it was still raining in Scotland almost the whole time we were in Wales. It was one of our better decisions! Still want to do it but ... somehow, we always get cold feet and choose somewhere else instead... I do get envious when I read about other people's tours' up there though... one day!

I was actually on manoeuvres up there - in and around the Cairngorms for three months - stationed in Barry Buddon when I served in the Scots Guards. It was then just a cluster of Nissan huts on a bleak headland outside Dundee. It was the winter of '62/63... one of the worst on record. the scenery was great but, we spent half the time snowed in and digging vehicles out. Never been so cold and I was only 18 or19 and fitter than a butcher's dog! Couldn't take it now!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
When I was involved in buying fleet for the fire service we had to advertise for fire appliances (fire engines) throughout Europe, even though European manufacturers did not build to U.K. specification. Every tender had to be advertised throughout Europe, with the consequent expense and delay. No European country ever made a tender as it would have been too expensive for them to retool and redesign from their own specs.

U.K. manufacturers had their design tenders ready to go but we had to allow at least 90 days for the EU to respond. Some U.K. manufacturers went out of business waiting for the tender process to conclude as they were mostly small quantity producers and hit cash flow problems.

It is not a case of giving public contracts to mates, it is a matter of using common sense.
Heaven forbid the uk change their spec probably to something better.

I cant honestly see the uk having better fire engine designs than the rest of europe.

Considering they are better than us with practicaly every other bit of mechanical engineering 😁

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Several of my friends really liked the idea of moving to Scotland but eventually returned because they became depressed after a year or so... the grey, wet and cold winter weather got to them. Frankly, like a lot of countries, I think you have to be brought up there to tolerate it. Obviously, it is not always raining but, they do seem to have their fair share!

We intended to go for three weeks a couple of years ago to visit distant family and friends and tour some of the islands. However, in the preceding weeks the whole of Western Scotland seemed to be covered in black clouds and heavy rain. Finally, the week before we were due to go it was still almost constant rain... we got nervous and at the last minute pulled out and did a tour of north and south Wales instead. The weather in Wales was glorious and we had a great trip... unfortunately, it was still raining in Scotland almost the whole time we were in Wales. It was one of our better decisions! Still want to do it but ... somehow, we always get cold feet and choose somewhere else instead... I do get envious when I read about other people's tours' up there though... one day!

I was actually on manoeuvres up there - in and around the Cairngorms for three months - stationed in Barry Buddon when I served in the Scots Guards. It was then just a cluster of Nissan huts on a bleak headland outside Dundee. It was the winter of '62/63... one of the worst on record. the scenery was great but, we spent half the time snowed in and digging vehicles out. Never been so cold and I was only 18 or19 and fitter than a butcher's dog! Couldn't take it now!
Aye we are tough up north.

Especially if anyone thinks near dundee is bleak lol ...they best not venture in to the real scotland

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

I cant honestly see the uk having better fire engine designs than the rest of europe.

Considering they are better than us with practicaly every other bit of mechanical engineering 😁
Rolls Royce cars, Rolls Royce jet engines come to mind,,far superior to anything European.BUSBY.

Nomadian

Free Member
Feb 21, 2020
Not up Jim’s arse like some
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
More than some less than others

Dennis, a British company, used to make fire appliances purpose built from the ground up. All appliances are now either Scania Mercedes or Volvo which are just commercial HGV’s converted to fire appliances. Most brigades moved to Volvo Mercedes or Scania because they were cheaper than Dennis, they certainly were not better at the job. But the firefighters that used them on the front line were not asked which they preferred, it was the bean counters that were asked.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back