Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Can I Get Spain Citizenship by Investment?​

Yes, Spain’s Investor Visa is a pathway to citizenship, as long as you live in Spain for at least 10 years.

Although the process of becoming a resident of Spain through investment is pretty straightforward, to receive a passport, you must live in Spain for at least 6 months out of the year for ten years.
Yes but you do not get 'given' it. You still have to apply the same as I can. Take the exams, know more history than the average spaniard does, speak the language, be tested on your ability to read, write, understand & converse .+ pay large sums of money to do it.
Then hand over your original passport as Spain doesn't allow dual citizenship &,like somone I know of who started this process shortly before the brexit vote,choose a "new spanish name" ?? :unsure:
Now he has his returned UK passport in his birth name & is shiney new spanish passport in a completely different name??:doh:

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Just a quick sidetrack Question. Does the 90/180 rule apply the other way round? A Spanish resident planning a Motorhome trip to the UK for instance.

regards
mike
They get 180 in 360 which was one of the reasons we never joined Schengen but just the common travel area through membership of the EU

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Lot of anecdotal evidence of other 3rd country people before COVID/Brexit being fined and/or banned particularly exiting through Germany. A lot of Antipodeans On once in a lifetime trips overstaying because they know they won’t be coming back whereas ‘we’ are actually keen on the idea of returning for long periods. Haven’t heard of any Brits so far but there may well be a lot out in Europe who overstayed but haven’t tried to exit yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
They get 180 in 360 which was one of the reasons we never joined Schengen but just the common travel area through membership of the EU
No they get the same as me , a non-resident Brit. 180 days then leave for 1 day & return for another 180. unfortunately it doesn't apply to your vehicle so you need another one.

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
So, quite a straightforward process then? :LOL: Bearing in mind that the majority of Funsters who have contributed to this topic across multiple threads and posts querying the process have English as their first language and have reached many different conclusions, and bearing in mind that English will [or has already] cease to be an official EU language, who is going to volunteer to argue the case that they have complied with the Regs against a tired, bored Gendarme, Carabineri or Border Guard equivalent? 'Disaster in waiting' may be a masterful understatement!

Who's bringing the popcorn? :unsure::cry:

Steve
I really do not get this confusion, and neither will the border guard or gendarme, etc.

As of today's date, in the past 180 days have you spent more than 90 days in the EU? If the answer is no, move along.

It works exactly the same planning forward. On the first date of your proposed trip to the EU, in the previous 180 days have you already been in the EU for 90 days.

For EU, read Schengen state of course.

As for those wanting to chance an overstay, there are only a few crossings that are not yet electronic and conencted to their central database. Overstaying could lead to withdrawal of access in future plus a fine. I'm not willing to risk that.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes but you do not get 'given' it. You still have to apply the same as I can. Take the exams, know more history than the average spaniard does, speak the language, be tested on your ability to read, write, understand & converse .+ pay large sums of money to do it.
Then hand over your original passport as Spain doesn't allow dual citizenship &,like somone I know of who started this process shortly before the brexit vote,choose a "new spanish name" ?? :unsure:
Now he has his returned UK passport in his birth name & is shiney new spanish passport in a completely different name??:doh:
I've only read what was there but the way its advertised suggest that its not that difficult.

IMO whats really missing here is an inbetween stage; IMHO its completely wrong that people can decide to move to another country on a whim and spend years effectively living there with little or no requirement to learn the language and join the system, however limiting visits to 3 months is going to cause quite a few holes in the income in places like the Costa's, Algarve etc and not just from Motorhome owners, what about the overwintering pensioners and gap year kids? It would make sense for the EU to offer different levels of visa's like the USA do, an Esta is pretty easy to get and covers 3 months whereas a formal visa allows 6 monthly stays with a mechanism to extend.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I really do not get this confusion, and neither will the border guard or gendarme, etc.

As of today's date, in the past 180 days have you spent more than 90 days in the EU? If the answer is no, move along.

It works exactly the same planning forward. On the first date of your proposed trip to the EU, in the previous 180 days have you already been in the EU for 90 days.

For EU, read Schengen state of course.

As for those wanting to chance an overstay, there are only a few crossings that are not yet electronic and conencted to their central database. Overstaying could lead to withdrawal of access in future plus a fine. I'm not willing to risk that.
Then why do the EU need to issue a manual for the Schengen Stay Calculator, citing a variety of examples where people have undertaken stays of varying lengths, showing the countback and remaining days available [taking into account earlier stays that will expire or become irrelevant [text from manual] during one's proposed stay?

Steve

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Wait till they come across a non-EU person with an an EU spouse who has been " in the Schengen zone" for eleventy hundred months & has the fll spreadsheet along with in out flight & ferry tickets?
I've only read what was there but the way its advertised suggest that its not that difficult.
When the UK was in the European union it was stated that it could take up to 6 months. usually it would take a minimum of 1 year & the bloke I know it took him 28 months & his wife who applied at the same time & did everything together with him still did not have hers ?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Wait till they come across a non-EU person with an an EU spouse who has been " in the Schengen zone" for eleventy hundred months & has the fll spreadsheet along with in out flight & ferry tickets?

When the UK was in the European union it was stated that it could take up to 6 months. usually it would take a minimum of 1 year & the bloke I know it took him 28 months & his wife who applied at the same time & did everything together with him still did not have hers ?
So how does that work when Spain requires applicants to spend at least 183 days/year in Spain?

Totally agree with your comments about border control, IMO it would have to be right in front of their faces or you would really have to p*ss them off to get done for it.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Sure I read earlier that Morocco and Croatia were going on the red list,,hope not,,BUSBY.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Sure I read earlier that Morocco and Croatia were going on the red list,,hope not,,BUSBY.

Just announced today 23/8/21 ,,Spain & Morocco have ended disputes between them !!
This is what the King said about Spain in his speech a couple of days ago. Certainly promising in a diplomatic speech kind of way....

"Some people claim that Morocco is being attacked because it has changed its political and strategic direction, or because of the way it is handling some diplomatic issues.

That is simply not the case. Morocco has, indeed, changed, but not in the way they want it to. Morocco does not accept that its best interests be trampled on. At the same time, my country is keen to have strong, constructive and balanced relations, especially with our neighbors.

That same logic is governing our policy today regarding the relationship with our neighbor, Spain.

It is a fact that these relations have recently come up against an unprecedented crisis, which shook mutual trust and raised many questions as to their future.

However, we have worked with the Spanish side in a composed, clear and responsible way.

In addition to the traditional immutable values on which these relations are based, we are keen, today, to strengthen them, bearing in mind the need for a common understanding of the two nations’ interests.

In this regard, I have personally and directly followed the progress of the dialogue and discussions between the two countries.

Our goal was not merely to overcome this crisis, but to turn the situation into an opportunity to reconsider the foundations and determinants of these relations.

With a feeling of optimism, I sincerely look forward to continuing to work with the Spanish government and with the Spanish Prime Minister, His Excellency Mr. Pedro Sanchez, to usher in a new, unprecedented phase in the relations between the two countries, on the basis of trust, transparency, mutual respect and the fulfillment of obligations."

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

This is what the King said about Spain in his speech a couple of days ago. Certainly promising in a diplomatic speech kind of way....

"Some people claim that Morocco is being attacked because it has changed its political and strategic direction, or because of the way it is handling some diplomatic issues.

That is simply not the case. Morocco has, indeed, changed, but not in the way they want it to. Morocco does not accept that its best interests be trampled on. At the same time, my country is keen to have strong, constructive and balanced relations, especially with our neighbors.

That same logic is governing our policy today regarding the relationship with our neighbor, Spain.

It is a fact that these relations have recently come up against an unprecedented crisis, which shook mutual trust and raised many questions as to their future.

However, we have worked with the Spanish side in a composed, clear and responsible way.

In addition to the traditional immutable values on which these relations are based, we are keen, today, to strengthen them, bearing in mind the need for a common understanding of the two nations’ interests.

In this regard, I have personally and directly followed the progress of the dialogue and discussions between the two countries.

Our goal was not merely to overcome this crisis, but to turn the situation into an opportunity to reconsider the foundations and determinants of these relations.

With a feeling of optimism, I sincerely look forward to continuing to work with the Spanish government and with the Spanish Prime Minister, His Excellency Mr. Pedro Sanchez, to usher in a new, unprecedented phase in the relations between the two countries, on the basis of trust, transparency, mutual respect and the fulfillment of obligations."

wrong post

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Bit of a shame we re not going to see the Portimao Tanger Med ferry, but good news in the main.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No they get the same as me , a non-resident Brit. 180 days then leave for 1 day & return for another 180. unfortunately it doesn't apply to your vehicle so you need another one.

IMO whats really missing here is an inbetween stage; IMHO its completely wrong that people can decide to move to another country on a whim and spend years effectively living there with little or no requirement to learn the language and join the system, however limiting visits to 3 months is going to cause quite a few holes in the income in places like the Costa's, Algarve etc and not just from Motorhome owners, what about the overwintering pensioners and gap year kids? It would make sense for the EU to offer different levels of visa's like the USA do, an Esta is pretty easy to get and covers 3 months whereas a formal visa allows 6 monthly stays with a mechanism to extend.
Why should they do what makes sense!. It would at the moment make perfect sense for us to offer an opportunity for anyone previously from the EU working in agriculture HGV driving care etc the chance to return here as theres a labour shortage hitting all those areas but there seems little movement!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Its read to me like Morocco is going on and Croatia is going green but how they can work it out when the government EVEN NOW are still not sharing the methodology is puzzling.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Why should they do what makes sense!. It would at the moment make perfect sense for us to offer an opportunity for anyone previously from the EU working in agriculture HGV driving care etc the chance to return here as theres a labour shortage hitting all those areas but there seems little movement!
For us that would be dealing with the symptoms not adressing the cause. The headline rates of HGV pay you are reading about isnt the real deal, I could show you firms right now paying £11/hour for HGV 1.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
So how does that work when Spain requires applicants to spend at least 183 days/year in Spain?
When the UK was in the eu there was no requirment for that ,only that you had not been out of the country for 2 consecutive years. Those rules wanting a minimum of 183 days in spain applied to non -eu applicants & now apply to any uk ones in future except any existinUK residents, like me, who benefit from the same rules as before under the Withdrawal Act (WA).

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Then why do the EU need to issue a manual for the Schengen Stay Calculator, citing a variety of examples where people have undertaken stays of varying lengths, showing the countback and remaining days available [taking into account earlier stays that will expire or become irrelevant [text from manual] during one's proposed stay?

Steve
EU creates bloated bureacracy for simple task? I'm shocked, I really am. :cool:

They can provide as many "countback" examples as they like - the reality is you need to be able to count to 90 and 180. Simple as.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
EU creates bloated bureacracy for simple task? I'm shocked, I really am. :cool:

They can provide as many "countback" examples as they like - the reality is you need to be able to count to 90 and 180. Simple as.
Not true, but never mind. It's a maximum of 90 days in any [i.e. rolling] 180 days period, so you have to look both backwards and forwards to take account of previous stays which will expire or cease to be relevant. But you obviously know better than the people who wrote the Regs ...

And calculating the stay when travelling with an EU passport holding spouse is not quite 'Simple as'

Steve

Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
Spain has just abolished the 20k overtaking speed increase .Also heavy fines & points for overtaking on the wrong side ,or staying in the outside (fast overtaking lane) for too long .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Spain has just abolished the 20k overtaking speed increase .Also heavy fines & points for overtaking on the wrong side ,or staying in the outside (fast overtaking lane) for too long .
Is that on normal roads as they abolished the use of it on the autovias a few years back?
,or staying in the outside (fasut overtaking lane) for too long
That doesn't apply of yo have yor indicator continually going:LOL:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
:unsure: I don't understand that. What is a '...20k overtaking speed increase....' ?
Spain always allowed an increase over the posted speed limit of 20km/hr to allow you to overtake safely & pull back in. As this was law it didn't take long for people caught speeding on motorways to use it to get off. With the introduction of fixed speed cameras they always tell you where they are,& at what speed they are set.The ones on motorways could never be set lower than 141km/hr due to the limit being 120km/h + 20 overtaking speed .
They removed the ability to use the "20 over the limit" defence on motorways a few years ago but it still remained on any other type of road

Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
Another 'Motorway' update is ---The AP7 East coast route is to be " Toll FREE " from September 1st.Just announced today .

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Another 'Motorway' update is ---The AP7 East coast route is to be " Toll FREE " from September 1st.Just announced today .
But the article attached to an expat publication referred to the removal of fees as being whilst Spain consults on the best method of financing its motorway network [IIRC, consultation ceases around end of September] and 'there is an expectation that motorists will return to having to pay tolls' . There was no authority or source cited for this conclusion, as far as I can recall.

Steve

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Yes but for how long?
But the article attached to an expat publication referred to the removal of fees as being whilst Spain consults on the best method of financing its motorway network [IIRC, consultation ceases around end of September] and 'there is an expectation that motorists will return to having to pay tolls' . There was no authority or source cited for this conclusion, as far as I can recall.

Steve
Yes that is correct but it will not just be for the original toll roads but it is proposed to include all & every motorway.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Yes but for how long?

Yes that is correct but it will not just be for the original toll roads but it is proposed to include all & every motorway.
Won't bother or affect me I only use N roads.BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back