9 Speed Auto - Reversing problems? (1 Viewer)

Jul 17, 2020
maldon
Funster No
MH
wildax altair
Exp
Since 2020
Hi All - My motorhome has the 9 speed auto box and overall I am very happy with it. I have today had a problem when trying to reverse up hill (not that steep) to get on a pitch. Despite putting foot full on accelerator vehicle would not move or engine rev - I managed to manoeuvre on flat and take a run up and it went on. My gut feel this is a sensor issue as it works fine in all other circumstances. I am currently trying to get hold of Fiat but their phone no not working at the moment. Just wanted to know if anyone else with the Ducato base and this gearbox has had any other experiences? Thanks

OP
OP
Davej0355
Jul 17, 2020
maldon
Funster No
MH
wildax altair
Exp
Since 2020
Sounds crazy but you might be right as when you are facing down hill I might have panicked? I will have to wait until I move off again Lol. Will try with handbrake. Thanks. Fingers crossed you have got this right for me as I love the van and box. Nothing will please me more than it being mešŸ˜‚

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
I have had same problem but also in falward gears put mine down to hand brake not fully off not investigated fully but with the hand brake released and warning light off hand brake will push down further and solve problem think there may be two sensors

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have had same problem but also in falward gears put mine down to hand brake not fully off not investigated fully but with the hand brake released and warning light off hand brake will push down further and solve problem think there may be two sensors
If our hand brake is not fully down even with the light off the warning alarm sounds.
Do not think the handbrake has the same throttle cut off arrangements

Deleted User
Not sure if its worthy of a mention but i had a similar issue on my old 2019 VW California fitted with DSG gearbox. Difficult to reverse up any slight incline on light pedal with any kind of control. According to VW it was a gearbox characteristic.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
It does on the nine speed auto
How the "devil" do you do a steep hill start then if the handbrake won't let you increase revs until it is released...

We get around it on the wife's SUV as when on a hill the handbrake sutcpmes off as you either reverse or go forward on a steep incline

OP
OP
Davej0355
Jul 17, 2020
maldon
Funster No
MH
wildax altair
Exp
Since 2020
Not sure if its worthy of a mention but i had a similar issue on my old 2019 VW California fitted with DSG gearbox. Difficult to reverse up any slight incline on light pedal with any kind of control. According to VW it was a gearbox characteristic.
Thanks - If that is what Fiat say then it will be an interesting ride - I will be moving site in the next few days so will put it to the test and I have fingers crossed it is user error LOL!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Almost certainly unrelated , but having had near identical issues with our Mercedes auto I mention just in case

the difference with ours was it would rev but still not move on slight incline

Turned out after much head scratching and investigation to be low auto gearbox oil. You have to break the seal on the dip stick then fit a new one šŸ¤”

but now had oil replaced and level confirmed , no more problems šŸ‘

but this is an 06 Merc šŸ¤”

OP
OP
Davej0355
Jul 17, 2020
maldon
Funster No
MH
wildax altair
Exp
Since 2020
I have an update - As we moved site yesterday I was able to test this again without the fear of being stuck for few days - LOL! So the issue relates to the handbrake not being FULLY off eg all symptoms were the same - foot on brake and off brake with handbrake on - no rev increase from throttle. Same again when handbrake is off (THIS IS WHY I PANICKED FACING ROLLING DOWNHILL!) BUT NOT FULLY!!! Only when the last stop is reached (When dashboard light goes off) will the revs increase. If the same happens when on flat or going forward at least the vehicle will move!

I had the additional fun of trying to get through to Fiat roadside assistance on Tesco mobile phone and the no is not valid with one or both leading zeros (Tesco currently trying to work out why?). I ended up filling in an online form on Fiats website and got a return phone call at lunchtime the next day (Handy I wasnt going anywhere heh! Heh!) This at least led me to be able to speak to the RAC who were helpful and were happy to send a van out to check everything

All part of the learning in our first year :giggle:

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
How the "devil" do you do a steep hill start then if the handbrake won't let you increase revs until it is released...

We get around it on the wife's SUV as when on a hill the handbrake sutcpmes off as you either reverse or go forward on a steep incline
I have the 9 speed auto, and was recently practising some hill starts in preparation for a trip to the alps. I found that it was very easy as the vehicle keeps the brakes on for around a couple of seconds after you take your right foot off the brake pedal, giving you enough time to move your foot to the accelerator and move off. Even on a 25% slope it was easy to hold on the foot brake and then move to the accelerator without worrying about the handbrake at all. It really makes driving the Moho effortless with the new auto box.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Ditcha did you not find a strange thing with a ramp with this type of box ?
Yeah think it's my crap driving style šŸ˜‚

Somebody put this note in a previous thread about this problem and it's exactly this scenario that causes the problem.

"The ZF9 TC automatic box has a sensor interlock that cuts power to "idle" if it senses both footbrake and accelerator inputs simultaneously for longer than a couple of seconds. It restores the power function after 15 - 20 seconds without dual sensor inputs, during this period, pressing the accelerator is totally ineffective.
So, in the event that you're trying to advance carefully up the ramp, using balanced throttle and footbrake inputs to position the van accurately the ZF9 cpu is saying no you can't have any power because the transmission doesn't appreciate both power and braking inputs simultaneously as it may damage it. In this case it'd be necessary to use the handbrake and throttle to achieve the desired controlled advance up the ramp."

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008

Somebody put this note in a previous thread about this problem and it's exactly this scenario that causes the problem.

"The ZF9 TC automatic box has a sensor interlock that cuts power to "idle" if it senses both footbrake and accelerator inputs simultaneously for longer than a couple of seconds. It restores the power function after 15 - 20 seconds without dual sensor inputs, during this period, pressing the accelerator is totally ineffective.
So, in the event that you're trying to advance carefully up the ramp, using balanced throttle and footbrake inputs to position the van accurately the ZF9 cpu is saying

no you can't have any power because the transmission doesn't appreciate both power and braking inputs simultaneously as it may damage it. In this case it'd be necessary to use the handbrake and throttle to achieve the desired controlled advance up the ramp."
That said Iā€™ll give you some driving lessons when we catch up!
Not sure if our (pheasant) 8 speed has the same characteristics but will take note next time šŸ‘

Aug 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
Hi All - My motorhome has the 9 speed auto box and overall I am very happy with it. I have today had a problem when trying to reverse up hill (not that steep) to get on a pitch. Despite putting foot full on accelerator vehicle would not move or engine rev - I managed to manoeuvre on flat and take a run up and it went on. My gut feel this is a sensor issue as it works fine in all other circumstances. I am currently trying to get hold of Fiat but their phone no not working at the moment. Just wanted to know if anyone else with the Ducato base and this gearbox has had any other experiences? Thanks
Yes this sounds familiar . I have the 160bhp and the 9 speed auto . We tow a small car . Itā€™s occasionally changes down into 2nd when coming down hill which has the effect of screaming its head off with high revs. you either have to slow right down ( uncomfortably so) or click it over in manual and change up . Not tried putting my foot down as it always happens going down hill. Apart from that itā€™s a lovely combination.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal

So, in the event that you're trying to advance carefully up the ramp, using balanced throttle and footbrake inputs to position the van accurately the ZF9 cpu is saying no you can't have any power because the transmission doesn't appreciate both power and braking inputs simultaneously as it may damage it. In this case it'd be necessary to use the handbrake and throttle to achieve the desired controlled advance up the ramp."
That's interesting. On several occasions in the 6k I have done with the new 9 speed the engine drops to tick over and drive lost. As soon as I prod the accelerator again everything powers up as normal. This is now I think about it often on approach to round a bouts which now you have explained above could well be my size 12's stradling both pedals as I try to pull away. It be interested if anyone else had has the same issue.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have the 9 speed auto, and was recently practising some hill starts in preparation for a trip to the alps. I found that it was very easy as the vehicle keeps the brakes on for around a couple of seconds after you take your right foot off the brake pedal, giving you enough time to move your foot to the accelerator and move off. Even on a 25% slope it was easy to hold on the foot brake and then move to the accelerator without worrying about the handbrake at all. It really makes driving the Moho effortless with the new auto box.
I was about to reply in similar vein. The hill start assist is excellent.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
That's interesting. On several occasions in the 6k I have done with the new 9 speed the engine drops to tick over and drive lost. As soon as I prod the accelerator again everything powers up as normal. This is now I think about it often on approach to round a bouts which now you have explained above could well be my size 12's stradling both pedals as I try to pull away. It be interested if anyone else had has the same issue.
The old comfortmatic was the same. I found out when trying to pull away at a roundabout wearing a pair of size 11 hiking boots. Caused a bit of panic at the time but later worked out what it was.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back