9 ingredients that shouldn't be in your dog shampoo (2 Viewers)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
9 Ingredients That Shouldn’t Be in Your Dog’s Shampoo
by Kristina Lotzon September 1, 2014
Have you ever even looked at the ingredients in a shampoo? Rachel Grant is a part-time groomer and founder of , who had a dog who grew a cancer lump on his paw that she believes may have been caused by chemicals in household cleaning products, which are also found in pet shampoos. So, she did her own research to come up with the perfect all-natural shampoo for pets. Here is her list of ingredients to stay away from, and the safe alternatives. And if you are thinking, why should I care, it’s just a dog…remember your body is absorbing that shampoo every time you wash your dog.

#1 – Surfactants
These are compounds that act as emulsifiers, detergents, wetting and foaming agents, etc. SLS/SLES (sodium lauryl sulfate / sodium laureth sulfate), ALS/ALES (ammonium lauryl sulfate, ammonium laureth sulfate) are all bad. They damage skin and fur, which then allows ready penetration of carcinogens. Safe Alternatives: Sodium cocoyl isethionate (coconut oil derived) or decyl glucoside (coconut derived).

@HELENMCDONALD VIA FLICKR
Click page 2 below for the next item!

#2 – Preservatives
These include parabens, BHA/BHT, DMDM hydantoin, phenoxyethanol, TEA (triethanolamine). They are thought to cause cancer & tumors and weaken the immune system. In addition, they are an allergenic & irritant, and cause premature aging. Safe Alternatives: rosemary essential oil, gluconolactone (from corn), glyceryl caprylate (coco, palm and glycerin derived).

#3 – Moisturizers
You would think common things like mineral oil, dimethicone, petrolatum, and paraffin would be safe. However, they coat the skin and fur like plastic, clogging pores which slows down skin function & cell development. They can also speed up aging. Safe Alternatives: Cocoa butter, virgin coconut oil, sunflower oil, avocado oil, passion fruit oil, castor oil.

@ANGELAMABRAY VIA FLICKR

#4 – Fragrance
Synthetic parfum and phthalates damage the liver & reproductive organs. Safe Alternatives: Essential oils, natural fragrance oils.

#5 – Anti-bacterial
Triclosan is the main one to watch out for. It causes endocrinal and reproductive malfunctions. Safe Alternatives: Acapulco extract, sugarcane alcohol, chitosan.

#6 – Colorants
Recently, we have been made “more aware” of the dangers of artificial colors like Lake Dyes and FD&C colors. Also avoid carmine (a natural colorant in lipsticks but made from crushed cochineal insects). All of these are neurotoxins and possible carcinogens. Safe Alternatives: Mineral oxides.

@MARCO&LLARIA VIA FLICKR

#7 – Emulsifiers
Used to create bubbles and/or creamy textures, stay away from DEA (diethanolamine), which affects hormones. Safe Alternatives: Stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol (all vegetable derived).

@PDH96 VIA FLICKR

#8 – Solvent
Propylene glycol is in EVERYTHING. Your dog’s treats, your own foods, and guess what? It’s also the main ingredient in anti-freeze. It causes damage to liver and kidneys. Safe Alternative: vegetable glycerin, water.

@D-BANGVO VIA FLICKR

#9 – Bug repellent additive
We should all know this by now: DEET is bad! (you shouldn’t use it on yourself either). It promotes degenerative and congenital diseases. Safe Alternatives: citronella, lemongrass, lavender and rosemary essential oils.

@MIKEMOZART VIA FLICKR

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Very rarely shampoo my dogs, just rinse them off with water if necessary but with that list of ingredients I think I'll go back to making my own shampoo for myself.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
None of our dogs have every had a shampoo or had a bath. They swim regularly & their coats shine & are often admired by those who see the dogs. They don't smell even slightly which is more than can be said of some humans we've met lol.
20170702_010641.jpg

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
So how often you meant to bath your dog our dog has had three bath's in 9 years and from time to time a rinc down with a hose brush
no skin problems our last dog a springier clean her shelf but she loved water
we use a spot on flee drop and off the shelf wormier.
Do wolves foxes and any other animal need all that crap hay Mr fox yes Mrs fox shale we go and get a wash and brush up with all those carcinogenic poisons those humans use.
the very worst i have had to do is use soap pears soap when they role in Something that really stinks.
we brush him regular
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
9 Ingredients That Shouldn’t Be in Your Dog’s Shampoo
by Kristina Lotzon September 1, 2014
Have you ever even looked at the ingredients in a shampoo? Rachel Grant is a part-time groomer and founder of , who had a dog who grew a cancer lump on his paw that she believes may have been caused by chemicals in household cleaning products, which are also found in pet shampoos. So, she did her own research to come up with the perfect all-natural shampoo for pets. Here is her list of ingredients to stay away from, and the safe alternatives. And if you are thinking, why should I care, it’s just a dog…remember your body is absorbing that shampoo every time you wash your dog.

#1 – Surfactants
These are compounds that act as emulsifiers, detergents, wetting and foaming agents, etc. SLS/SLES (sodium lauryl sulfate / sodium laureth sulfate), ALS/ALES (ammonium lauryl sulfate, ammonium laureth sulfate) are all bad. They damage skin and fur, which then allows ready penetration of carcinogens. Safe Alternatives: Sodium cocoyl isethionate (coconut oil derived) or decyl glucoside (coconut derived).

@HELENMCDONALD VIA FLICKR
Click page 2 below for the next item!

#2 – Preservatives
These include parabens, BHA/BHT, DMDM hydantoin, phenoxyethanol, TEA (triethanolamine). They are thought to cause cancer & tumors and weaken the immune system. In addition, they are an allergenic & irritant, and cause premature aging. Safe Alternatives: rosemary essential oil, gluconolactone (from corn), glyceryl caprylate (coco, palm and glycerin derived).

#3 – Moisturizers
You would think common things like mineral oil, dimethicone, petrolatum, and paraffin would be safe. However, they coat the skin and fur like plastic, clogging pores which slows down skin function & cell development. They can also speed up aging. Safe Alternatives: Cocoa butter, virgin coconut oil, sunflower oil, avocado oil, passion fruit oil, castor oil.

@ANGELAMABRAY VIA FLICKR

#4 – Fragrance
Synthetic parfum and phthalates damage the liver & reproductive organs. Safe Alternatives: Essential oils, natural fragrance oils.

#5 – Anti-bacterial
Triclosan is the main one to watch out for. It causes endocrinal and reproductive malfunctions. Safe Alternatives: Acapulco extract, sugarcane alcohol, chitosan.

#6 – Colorants
Recently, we have been made “more aware” of the dangers of artificial colors like Lake Dyes and FD&C colors. Also avoid carmine (a natural colorant in lipsticks but made from crushed cochineal insects). All of these are neurotoxins and possible carcinogens. Safe Alternatives: Mineral oxides.

@MARCO&LLARIA VIA FLICKR

#7 – Emulsifiers
Used to create bubbles and/or creamy textures, stay away from DEA (diethanolamine), which affects hormones. Safe Alternatives: Stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol (all vegetable derived).

@PDH96 VIA FLICKR

#8 – Solvent
Propylene glycol is in EVERYTHING. Your dog’s treats, your own foods, and guess what? It’s also the main ingredient in anti-freeze. It causes damage to liver and kidneys. Safe Alternative: vegetable glycerin, water.

@D-BANGVO VIA FLICKR

#9 – Bug repellent additive
We should all know this by now: DEET is bad! (you shouldn’t use it on yourself either). It promotes degenerative and congenital diseases. Safe Alternatives: citronella, lemongrass, lavender and rosemary essential oils.

@MIKEMOZART VIA FLICKR
Very interesting Sue - dogs aren’t designed to smell nice. They have coats to protect them..... minimal bathing.

....unless fox poo is involved of course :notworthy:

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Could do with a wine stain remover in our shampoo,
Just come back from the beach and Charlie our JRT decided as usual to run up to people sitting down to say hello.
Never realised that this family were having a pick nick in the dunes (5deg and windy!!)
Walked on a bit and noticed red on his fur, picked him up and it was red wine,,,,,oop’s sorry:whistle::whistle:

We have a beach in the harbour just over from our house and he has invited himself to a pick nick a few times before, normally will squeeze himself in the middle and wait for nibbles:LOL:
Slightly embarrassing:)
He’s worn out now...
E3052F81-B95B-47B6-B622-31A323CDF2C8.jpeg

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
image.jpg
This is Tom's shampoo, which does not contain those harmful ingredients thankfully ... was given a free gift box from an online dog shop , and found it good, but since purchased the same from a TK maxwell store

image.jpg

Kath

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I shower my dog with either a dog shampoo or baby shampoo. He likes being showered so I don't find it difficult - just time consuming. I only do it as needed but I can't imagine what I'd do when he comes back covered in mud or worse. He's always walked off lead in the countryside and he has come back after having rolled in dead badger and other equally disgusting things! :eek:

If you don't shampoo how do you cope when they're covered in something ghastly?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Never shampooed mine - in fact they have never been bathed. Fox / badger / hedgehog poo rinsed off then Baby shampoo locally if needed, Baby wipes if not.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Ours have a couple of baths a year max... only when they are particularly minging though.
Normally the rivers streams and sea keep them clean. In fact the end of every walk involves a run along a stream to clean muck off.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, I can see how rivers would keep them clean, not sure about the sea though... not round here at least. We live at the foot of the Downs and there isn't a river or stream on our walks - I wish there was though.

Oh well its back to showering as I can't abide a whiffy dog :LOL:

I saw a couple recently who had an onboard water spray in the back of their estate car. They hosed their boots off and then the dog. Anyone know what this appliance was? It looked a bit like a pressure washer, could it have been one of those things that you spray weeds with I wonder?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ours have never had a bath and only hosed off if been rolling in poo which is rare. Tomato ketchup seems to work for some reason. We keep Heinz for dogs but anyone else gets Tescos.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Yes, I can see how rivers would keep them clean, not sure about the sea though... not round here at least. We live at the foot of the Downs and there isn't a river or stream on our walks - I wish there was though.

I saw a couple recently who had an onboard water spray in the back of their estate car. They hosed their boots off and then the dog. Anyone know what this appliance was? It looked a bit like a pressure washer, could it have been one of those things that you spray weeds with I wonder?
Nissan do an X Trail 4 dogs with built in dog wash etc... I think some other manufacturers may be doing similar

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
You think its complicated for dogs, its even more complicated with anything for parrots.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

One of our sons has one of those . He uses it to wash down his mountain bike.
Like a minny jet washer thing .

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Ours only gets a shampoo after rolling in and around sheep carcasses, dead seals, and fox poo, otherwise a good wetting in the rain keeps him fresh.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Nissan do an X Trail 4 dogs with built in dog wash etc... I think some other manufacturers may be doing similar

WOW that's fantastic! Just what I need :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back