8MM LPG gas pipe fittings? (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Just a quickie question, going to fit Bullfinch BBQ point this spring to new MH.
Checked out Hamilton Gas Products, they have all the parts required except an 8mm compression TEE fitting so I can take a feed off behind FF.
Is it OK to fit a compression Tee or do I need to fit a soldered TEE Fitting as its gas?
If it does require a soldered Tee Fitting then thats OK, but seemd strange as the 8mm gas pipe would start and end in compression fittings as you know.
Would have also liked to to fit a Gas Tap to isolate, but dont think I have room to extend existing gas taps under hob. I will know more when I have the cupboard drawers out and can see what I am left with.
Thanks for any help on this task.
Les

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Any local plumbers merchants will stock all you require
Compression fittings are the way to go, ask if soft copper olives are available too

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Is the existing pipe copper or steel? There are entirely different fittings for steel pipe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Is the existing pipe copper or steel? There are entirely different fittings for steel pipe.
Not sure yet, as I haven't had vents off the outside of the van to look at rear of FF, but presumably copper.
Just wasn't sure about compression fittings being allowed under gas regs etc
Les

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I had the issue of steel pipe on the gas system when i came to plumb my external gas point in.. i didnt have a suitable steel compression fitting... l but i used a conventional brass comptession fitting to make the connection to a length of copper to the external gas point..
Its captive between two correct fittings so with the very low pressures involved all i was concerned about was would the brass olives seal on the steel pipe... and they are fine .
I did have to remove the black plastic sheath on the steel pipe to get the compression fitting on..
The picture shows what im trying to say(y)
Andy.
20180417_174628.jpg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Apparently it's not an approved method. I've done it by tinning the steel pipe, lightly compressing the olive using the fitting, removing same, heating again, then continuing as normal once it has cooled. Which is still not approved :).

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Apparently it's not an approved method. I've done it by tinning the steel pipe, lightly compressing the olive using the fitting, removing same, heating again, then continuing as normal once it has cooled. Which is still not approved :).
If id had to go to those lengths id have waited until id got the correct compression joint :).
The brass olives sealed ok on the steel pipe without any tinning(y)
Andy.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It's what copper olives are for they seal on anything

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I was told try not to use soldered joints on caravan/motorhomes due to being driven on roads etc as this can fracture the joints.
I just used a normal compression T with soft olives i.e. copper ones.
You can buy an isolating valve that will fit straight onto the 8 mm pipe.

Where I ran copper pipe outside the interior I ran it through flexible trunking used for cabling.

Good luck with your project (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Careful.

Some pipe work on motorhomes might be 10mm as I discovered when I did the same job.

Try and get a 10mm to 8mm reducing tee in a hurry of the shelf :whistle:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail :D

Fore warned is fore armed :D

I thought I was bloody prepared. The pipe I was cutting into was plastic coated. I knew I was in trouble the second I cut the sheathing off :D

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I thought I was bloody prepared. The pipe I was cutting into was plastic coated. I knew I was in trouble the second I cut the sheathing off :D

Its a bugger isn't it, that sinking feeling and a feeling of total un happiness is overwhelming :(

Still theres always Screwfix up to 4 o'clock :D on a Sunday

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Its a bugger isn't it, that sinking feeling and a feeling of total un happiness is overwhelming :(

Still theres always Screwfix up to 4 o'clock :D on a Sunday

Not a chance.

This was during a weekday. Where I live all the major merchants are represented plus all the DIY type places. Not a single one of them carry such a thing as stock and none would order it as I'm not an account holder and it wouldn't have been a high enough value order.

I ended up getting one from eBay.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If id had to go to those lengths id have waited until id got the correct compression joint :).
The brass olives sealed ok on the steel pipe without any tinning(y)
Andy.
Takes longer to say than do. I don't know of any conversion fitting (which isn't to say they don't exist). I had the brass stuff in stock.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Heres the picture, hopefully, didnt work last attempt

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Edit Lost prev upload so try again
Have taken outside lower vent cover off the van to see whats what in there, was hoping to cut into gas pipe and fit a Tee fitting to feed BBQ point...BUT....Its a steel pipe not copper, it is covered in black PVC sheathing and is fitted very snugly with not enough pipe to cut into. So will now have a rethink as to where to pick a feed up from.
Cant help but wonder where Carthago or MH dealers would fit a Tee coupler? noyt easy even in then Gas Locker! Next step will be to see whats behind the kitchen cupboard drawers as thats where the isolator taps under the hob are fed from.
Any advice much appreciated.
Les

Attachments

• IMG_0868.JPG
    IMG_0868.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 147
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
@TinaL Is there not room in your gas locker for a single gas valve like this?..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-Sing...I6Mywic28iOjE1MDAsImMiOjM2Nzk4fQ==&rmvSB=true

s-l1600.jpg

I am planning an "exterior" gas supply and so far I think I will tee into the 8mm plastic coated steel gas pipe AFTER the regulator in the gas locker and then 8mm copper to a convenient place inside the locker to site the valve & then 8mm copper to the Bullfinch.

Whilst on this thread, can anyone see any problems fitting the Bullfinch inside the gas locker to avoid cutting the 60mm hole in the skin of the MH?

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi Barry thats a nice neat compact looking Gas Tap, but you will still need a Tee Connector to cut into the feed pipe after the Gas regulator.
I know many people are scarred to cut the 60mm hole in their vans,for warranty invalidation reasons, one couple I met were considering placing it their Garage, that may be an option also. Not sure if its OK to fit BBQ outlet inside gas locker others will know though I bet.
Good Luck
Les

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Does the pipe run under the van from the fridge to the gas locker?
If so, there may be space to cut a t piece under the van itself

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Whilst on this thread, can anyone see any problems fitting the Bullfinch inside the gas locker to avoid cutting the 60mm hole in the skin of the MH?

Not having the out on the outside of the van kinda defeats the object of having a bbq outlet doesn't it?
Don't be fazed by cutting the hole through, measure at least 3 times then measure again :)
I did ours last year it really was easy as i bought a new hole saw as i didn't have the correct size for the fitting.

Good luck (y)

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Does the pipe run under the van from the fridge to the gas locker?
If so, there may be space to cut a t piece under the van itself
Hi Robert
The van has a double floor, and all pipes from the gas locker head upwards toward the top of the locker cupboard. I can guess that the steel pipe heading up and out towards the RHS feeds the hob then onto the FF.
The pipe after the regular also heads to the LHS heading up through the locker then I guess onto the boiler.
So no, I dont think there are any pipes or cables under the van, but I will of course check that out.
Thanks for the suggestion and interest though.
Best wishes
Les

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
When I fitted mine I ran the gas supply from the Truma gas manifold..

if you have the same or similar, replace the end blanking cap with Truma gas valve, then pipe to the BBQ

IMG_2564.jpg

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
When I fitted mine I ran the gas supply from the Truma gas manifold..

if you have the same or similar, replace the end blanking cap with Truma gas valve, then pipe to the BBQ

View attachment 225860
Thats the idea I had initially, then I tried to get to the existing Truma 3 way manifold, which has to be seen to be believed!. Carthago have a nice steel face plate the has lovely holes cut through it to enable the red knobs to come through it, and at the same disguise the manifold itself and concealed pipework. Its obviously put in the van before the sidewalls are in place ( just like all the other cable and pipe runs:swear:) I cant even get a spanner in there to undo the feed pipes to the appliances.
I contacted Truma and they advised replacing the 3 way manifold with a 4 way, which priced at £42, I would have done as a single valve is £22. But getting the existing one out, with drawer dividers in place which cannot be removed would be a total nightmare. The steel feeder pipes have been bent on a jig and secured to the underside of the worktop, inside a specially routed out groove, not big enough for an extra pipe to run alongside.
Yes I am pulling my hair out as I dont give into problems easily.:banghead:
Glad you managed to get yours done OK, at least you were given half a chance with your layout.
Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Les

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back