Oh my bus

Free Member
Jul 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bus conversion
Hello folks,
New member and very happy to be here.
I'm just starting out on converting a 1980's Leyland bus into a motor home and never having done this before there's going to be lots of questions I'm sure.
We've finally got a layout we're happy with that keeps almost all of the windows uncovered but it's going to mean I need 5o build a "pod" for the bathroom. Fairly happy with building the structure but I'm wondering about the door. What have people used or made them from? Apart from the tambor kits I haven't seen anything available ready made.

Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
Welcome to the forum
welcome-frog - Copy.gif

I think others will agree, we will require photographs. ;)

OP
OP
O

Oh my bus

Free Member
Jul 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bus conversion
Quite right, very remise of me.
Her she is when she got to us.
A Wadham Stringer coach-built body and we think in service as disabled transport in Penzance.
She's a shorty at a little over 20' long and very conveniently under 7.5t šŸ˜€
Has the fabulous double rear doors associated with Wadham ambulances too.
IMG_20210612_124015.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Make it out of see through plastic. Nobody will lookšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

couple of handy towing hooks at the frontāœ… Some fields can get a bit muddy šŸ„²

OP
OP
O

Oh my bus

Free Member
Jul 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bus conversion
Trying my best to figure out how I can make a drop down rear deck to sit between the open doors.
IMG_20210612_124135.jpg

OP
OP
O

Oh my bus

Free Member
Jul 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bus conversion
Umm ... ramp set to horizontal?

... or has the joke just flown over my head?
No not at all. I'd need to make the ramp/deck as there isn't anything there at present. It's working it in with the interior layout that's difficult. And then coming up with some hinges that will lift or into the bus when raised so you can assure the doors but move it outside when lowered to keep the floor flat.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
What about your decking sliding out from underneath the rear of your bus with dropdown feet to support the outward end, and in that way you will not obstruct the interior and it will allow you to open the rear doors with or without the decking out.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Quite right, very remise of me.
Her she is when she got to us.
A Wadham Stringer coach-built body and we think in service as disabled transport in Penzance.
She's a shorty at a little over 20' long and very conveniently under 7.5t šŸ˜€
Has the fabulous double rear doors associated with Wadham ambulances too.
View attachment 512912
Wow, she's beauty, I love self-builds on random chassis. You will have loads of fun on the build and later in use. Well jel. as the kids say.
PS. pretty jealous of your barn too....

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Lovely old bus.
Havent got a clue myself so canā€™t help you,but I hope you will keep us updated with your progress over the weeks and months ahead. :giggle: :giggle:

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
No not at all. I'd need to make the ramp/deck as there isn't anything there at present. It's working it in with the interior layout that's difficult. And then coming up with some hinges that will lift or into the bus when raised so you can assure the doors but move it outside when lowered to keep the floor flat.
OK. What's the chequer plate behind the doors? .... I assumed it was a ramp.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Itā€™s not a Leyland bus I recognise but I hope it drives better than the Leyland Tigers and Olympians we inherited from a bus company we took over. Having said that the drivers did there upmost to wreck them hoping they would get a newer bus as a replacement.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hello folks,
New member and very happy to be here.
I'm just starting out on converting a 1980's Leyland bus into a motor home and never having done this before there's going to be lots of questions I'm sure.
We've finally got a layout we're happy with that keeps almost all of the windows uncovered but it's going to mean I need 5o build a "pod" for the bathroom. Fairly happy with building the structure but I'm wondering about the door. What have people used or made them from? Apart from the tambor kits I haven't seen anything available ready made.

I got mine from a company called DIY home fit.

They make kitchen cupboards and doors. Crucially, they make doors to custom sizes for no extra charge. You just pay for the next size up and they cut it down for free. As well as the bathroom door, I've got lots of matching custom size kitchen doors and drawers. The bathroom door is right next to the kitchen, so it matches well.

I went for "London Concrete". There's a massive range of vinyls. It is easily strong enough for its intended use and much lighter than a domestic door.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
OP has used up his 5 free posts, will need to join as a paid up member to make any more posts, oh and :pink:

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
Been watching this self build on a Mercedes Vario 614D - fair play to them they've done a great job to date - some good ideas for any self builders out there (y)

Link: Wandering Home

3CCE56F5-97A3-4A81-8F74-415C6B75A55A-16550-000014994713F386.jpg

Last edited:

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
Ive been watching these also. They have just teamed up with craig and amy of kingingit

Yeah been watching kinging it for a while now, Gary from Barry is a star in his own right :cool::ROFLMAO: My Daughter met up with Craig & Aimee briefly in Snowdonia a few weeks back, said they were such a nice, genuine couple

The kinging it full documentary of the Mongol rally was great viewing - we watch more YouTube stuff than normal TV now.... think we'll say goodbye to SKY at the end of the contract

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back