Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Toyota Dyna
Exp
Hi Folks,

That's the multimeter reading straight off the Leisure battery. I have read quite a few articles on leisure batteries but being a complete newbie I thought I had better post here to get some advice.

The battery is a
NUMAX LV26MF

Is there a point in rescuing it?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think it as dead as a Norwegian Blue, but it might be worth having a go at it with a charger that conditions as well, some say they have them recovered them from such low voltages.

OP
OP
DFMan

DFMan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Toyota Dyna
Exp
@Jim Unfortunately I would have to buy a battery charger/conditioner as I don't have one. So it looks like it's going to be a new one. Are they reasonably straight forward to fit yourself?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Yes , take of neg terminal first . Remove second terminal . remove battery holder, and fit new reverse order :) If you have solar make sure you disconnect solar first.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You don't say why the leisure battery is discharged, but you need to know that often a flat battery is a symptom of problems elsewhere, either in the charging or consumer items. Keep an eye on the voltage of the new battery to make sure it doesn't go the way of the old one.

OP
OP
DFMan

DFMan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Toyota Dyna
Exp
@autorouter I have no clue on that as I have just bought the MH.

Has anyone got any recommendation regarding make and model?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Where about are you? Someonenearby might let you borrow their charger. If your anywhere near Bellshill you can borrow mine.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would say it's buggered.. technical term.. at that voltage at least one cell is probably dead or short circuit .. don't waste time or money trying to recover it.. even if you do, it will probably be damaged and never give the service you need ..

Make and model,

Tanya batteries will supply like for like.. https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/numax/lv26mf/

If you want to spend more look at Trojan who make traction batteries, these are designed for heavy use, as used on golf carts, mobility scooters etc
how much you should spend depends on how you camp, do you go on EHU a lot or not.. do you have solar.. who do you expect from a battery ?

Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
DFMan

DFMan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Toyota Dyna
Exp
@scotjimland I hope to reply on EHU less and less in the future as the idea of Aires(less available EHU than campsites) appeals to me. I don't have solar and I hope that it can take care of all the mobile devices, lights and a 12V TV and a MiFi device.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@scotjimland I hope to reply on EHU less and less in the future as the idea of Aires(less available EHU than campsites) appeals to me. I don't have solar and I hope that it can take care of all the mobile devices, lights and a 12V TV and a MiFi device.

In that case I suggest a new like for like battery and also look at the possibility of adding a second identical one, thereby doubling your capacity and length of stay off EHU.. see how you get on.. If needs be, after that consider a solar panel .. say 150watt to start , that will further extend the time you can be off grid..

Do you have space for another battery in the battery locker/box or close by ?

Bear in mind, if you are touring the battery will be recharged every day when you drive.. so may not need any more capacity

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Good advice your being given by scotjimland.
Depending on your battery type remember to only use your battery to around 50 percent and not use it til it’s flat or you will knacker it.

I’d definitely think on getting a 2nd battery or solar.

OP
OP
DFMan

DFMan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Toyota Dyna
Exp
@scotjimland @irnbru The battery tray is 32cm by 32cm with a height allowance of 27cm so two batteries in the same place is out of the question. This is a shame as really like the setup scotjimland has suggested.

I do feel a little silly that I did not spot the potential problem as the 12V TV wouldn’t work after the engine was switched off when I test drove the van.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
In that case I suggest a new like for like battery and also look at the possibility of adding a second identical one, thereby doubling your capacity and length of stay off EHU.. see how you get on.. If needs be, after that consider a solar panel .. say 150watt to start , that will further extend the time you can be off grid..

Do you have space for another battery in the battery locker/box or close by ?

Bear in mind, if you are touring the battery will be recharged every day when you drive.. so may not need any more capacity
That might be true but it takes a lot of miles to put even a small amount back without help from, for example, a battery-to-battery charger. Any serious off-site touring will need help from solar.

OP
OP
DFMan

DFMan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Toyota Dyna
Exp
All done. New battery ordered. Thank you all for your help.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Make sure you properly vent the area around the battery before trying to connect or disconnect. They produce hydrogen and if it collects, a spark occurs and goes bang it can be spectacular.

Marquis did it to our leisure battery some years ago during a habitation check. Quite a mess as the battery case split throwing plastic shrapnel (if such a thing exists) everywhere and the engineer had a nasty cut on his face.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Yes, there should be a "hole" in the bottom of the battery box, to let the gasses escape. You may have a thin plastic tube coming from the top/side of battery this is a breather and should be pushed through the hole to let the gasses escape to the atmosphere.
Hope this helps,
Cheers, Dave(y)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
@meanders The battery is stored externally. Do I still need to vent?
Always safest to do so. One habitation engineer I know uses a battery powered fan to force the hydrogen away once the cover is off the battery. Remember hydrogen rises in air. The pipe is not for draining it. It will drain out any electrolyte leaks but also allows some air in.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Yes, there should be a "hole" in the bottom of the battery box, to let the gasses escape. You may have a thin plastic tube coming from the top/side of battery this is a breather and should be pushed through the hole to let the gasses escape to the atmosphere.
Hope this helps,
Cheers, Dave(y)
As the prime gas we are concerned about is hydrogen, the lightest gas which will always rise a hole in the bottom has little utility.

OP
OP
DFMan

DFMan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Toyota Dyna
Exp
The battery has arrived! Do I need to switch off/ disconnect anything first before I disconnect the battery as described by @tacr2man ? Do I leave the battery to vent in the open first? If so for how long?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
@dfm If you havent been running anything from the "dead battery"
the chances of there being any gassing is minimal . Just disconnect the negative (earth lead ) , and retain it back out of the way . Then remove the pos lead and any fixings for the battery . Remove old battery , clean up while its out , and then fit new , reattach locating fixings . Then put on pos lead and secure . Then connect neg lead and secure fixing . Job Done , have a cup of tea :) I see from prev posts you don't have solar to bother about .

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
@dfm If you havent been running anything from the "dead battery"
the chances of there being any gassing is minimal . Just disconnect the negative (earth lead ) , and retain it back out of the way . Then remove the pos lead and any fixings for the battery . Remove old battery , clean up while its out , and then fit new , reattach locating fixings . Then put on pos lead and secure . Then connect neg lead and secure fixing . Job Done , have a cup of tea :) I see from prev posts you don't have solar to bother about .

And if he does have solar to think about (as I do when I get some answers before deciding what batteries I will buy)?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
And if he does have solar to think about (as I do when I get some answers before deciding what batteries I will buy)?
If he did have solar , the solar needs isolating before disconnecting battery , as most solar regulators need the reference voltage of the batteries to control the voltage etc .

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Do you have a multimeter? The battery may have been knacker^d anyway, but you need to know if is being charged.
Check the battery voltage after you have fitted it, then start the engine and see if the battery voltage rises. If it shows around 14v, your sorted, if the voltage doesn’t rise, you may have a fault in the split charge system.
Always safest to do so. One habitation engineer I know uses a battery powered fan to force the hydrogen away once the cover is off the battery. Remember hydrogen rises in air. The pipe is not for draining it. It will drain out any electrolyte leaks but also allows some air in.
Sounds very dangerous to me, even a battery powered fan can create sparks as it’s running. He should know better...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back